Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dean Lister’s Next Challenge

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The UFC recently announced that Lister will get a chance to avenge one of his early losses when he takes on Jeremy Horn at The Ultimate Fighter Finale show in June. The two first faced off in 2003, when Horn took Lister’s King of the Cage middleweight championship belt from him with a split decision victory.

“We’re both different now,” says Lister. “I’m about three times as experienced as I was back then. I only had like five fights back then, now I have fifteen. Then again, he’s probably fought way more than fifteen times since then, the way he goes.

“One thing Jeremy is known for is he’s not afraid to fight on the ground or on the feet. He’s very well-rounded. I just think that no matter what happens, it’s going to be an exciting fight. It doesn’t matter if it’s on the feet or on the ground – of course everyone knows that I have a preference.”

The bout with Horn may carry even more significance than a normal rematch, considering the UFC’s recent roster cuts. Lister has accomplished almost everything he can in the field of submission grappling and jiu-jitsu, and says his focus now is on becoming a great mixed martial artist – not just Tito Ortiz’s jiu-jitsu coach.

“Before I got into the UFC, even before I got into Pride, my grand goal was to become Abu Dhabi world champion. I’ve done that. Now that I’ve had that moment, I’ve changed my focus to the UFC. I was satisfied, but I’m not satisfied anymore. I think if you stop trying to grow, that’s it. You have to keep taking chances and putting yourself out there. That’s how you grow as a man, as well as a fighter.”

Lister’s recent growth has included a return from a very serious tendon injury that caused his biceps muscle to “roll up like a window shade.” The recovery was as tough mentally as it was physically, he says.

“It was a nightmare situation. Physically, it was a big problem. But psychologically it was an even bigger problem. I just had no confidence in my takedowns, no confidence in the strength in my arms, so it’s been tough getting over that, but I’ve been feeling better recently.”

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   4/29/08 10:19:22PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I like both fighters. There is something about Lister that makes me root for him. I hope he can come away with the win. This will be a MMA chess match, and I think it will be the fighter who makes the first mistake, will end up with the loss.
Lister by split decision

Post #2   4/29/08 10:40:18PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
I have a lot of respect for both fighters, but i see Lister taking this by submission. Horn has lost 2 in a row by submission and Lister has a world class ground game.

Post #3   4/29/08 10:51:54PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I think both of these guys are past their prime. Lister is 32 now and no matter how talented he is on the gorund, there are so many well-rounded guys today that can hang with him on the ground in an MMA match.

Jeremy Horn wins matches by pure experience but he really needs to drop a weight class and change up his training if he wants to make it in the UFC.

I'll pulling for Horn on this one, although i like them both

Last edited 4/29/08 11:22PM server time by silverbullet
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/29/08 11:20:05PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
I agree both fighters are on the tail end of their career and are purely fighting for money now because there is so much more of that to go around now. I respect both fighters but could do without having to watch them on a main stage like the UFC. Glad to see they are getting recognition because there are a lot of fighters that get little recognition for their career because the sport was not as big as it is now

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #5   4/30/08 1:50:28AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Horn is past his chances, IMO. He's going to be MMA's first Mohammed Ali probably. I just can't see how he's still fighting after taking and dishing many a beating. I still hold out some hope for Lister, though. He's got a few good years left in him I'm thinking.

Post #6   4/30/08 4:53:19AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,489-1,182
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Jeremy Horn wins matches by pure experience but he really needs to drop a weight class and change up his training if he wants to make it in the UFC.

I agree. But he probably likes the nickname gumby too much and doesn't like to cut weight.

Post #7   4/30/08 11:57:00AM