Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Head Of The Class: ASU Wrestlers Take On MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wrestlers have always had a special place in the world of mixed martial arts. One particular group of wrestlers from Arizona State University have made a mark lately, positioning themselves as the new breed of athletes competing in MMA.

While Arizona State has always been a top school for collegiate wrestling, it has also produced many top MMA fighters including Dan Severn, Dan Henderson, and Don Frye. Now, a new group of grapplers from Arizona State has proven the team still knows how to produce great fighters.

C.B. Dollaway, Ryan Bader, and Cain Velasquez were all a part of the Arizona State wrestling team. Recently, all three have made successful transitions into MMA.

“Basically, when I came to Arizona State, it put me in a great position to be a great collegiate wrestler. I came in with Ryan Bader and Cain Velasquez, it was kind of like a 1-2-3 punch,” said Dollaway about his teammates. “So we all worked out together and my coach Aaron Simpson, who’s a two time All-American who was trying to make the Olympics. Just a bunch of great guys to workout with.”

The work ethic displayed showed on the wrestling mat as all three were All-American wrestlers in their time at Arizona State and it’s that commitment that helped them transition to MMA as well.

Link

Post #1   4/27/08 9:07:55AM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
Thanks for the post. I am a hugh wrestling fan. My son has been on his high school team for three years now and I love going to watch. I got my son watching MMA just to show him the technique that the guys with a wrestling background display in thier fights.

Post #2   5/15/08 4:01:50PM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Nice find, and its a damn shame that 2 weeks after that article was written ASU dropped its wrestling program citing financial reasons.

Link

Last edited 5/15/08 4:33PM server time by Bemin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/15/08 4:33:06PM