Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Travis Lutter: ‘I was a half-inch from breaking Rich Franklin’s arm’ at UFC 83

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

“… I got caught – I haven’t watched the fight yet but some of my buddies told me I got caught with a pretty good punch about 18 seconds in…. I thought I had him. I was really surprised when he was able to roll out. It’s pretty rare for somebody to get out. It’s just one of those things. Golf clap for Rich for getting out…. I was probably a half-inch, maybe even a quarter-inch, from breaking Rich Franklin’s arm. If we played that fight again I think I’ve got a real good shot at beating him. How close was I to getting my arm raised in both those fights? Sometimes luck is … And, I’m not saying that Rich got lucky. I don’t want people sending me hate mail saying I was saying Rich got lucky. I’m just saying I got unlucky.”

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 4 middleweight winner, Travis Lutter, talks about his technical knockout loss to UFC 83: “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2? on April 19. In addition to discussing the loss, “The Serial Killer” goes in to details about all the unnecessary hate mail he receives for his past two losing performances.

Link

Full interview here

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   4/25/08 11:28:19AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Very unlucky you didn't train cardio to go more than five minutes, Cereal Killer.

Post #2   4/25/08 11:37:34AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
Yeah he totally planned on locking Rich up on the ground in round one... He thought his BJJ would get him the sub win fast....

Gotta always be ready for a 15 minutes battle.... Lutter just didn't come ready....

And F that unlucky "quarter inch" BS.... Rich pulled off an amazing defence on that arm bar... couldn't be more impressed with Franklin.... Having great submission defence is not luck.

Lutter was simply out classes on the ground and beat up on his feet.

Post #3   4/25/08 11:53:43AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Lutter was an out of shape mess....lol. He didn't get unlucky and he didn't get in shape.

Post #4   4/25/08 11:58:47AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'd have to disagree with you guys you know.I think regardless of if he gassed or not he'd have lost but i don't think he'd have gassed so quickly if it wasn't for then shots Rich landed.
Lutter ate some good shots in the first an a monster of a head kick early in the second. I'm not saying he could have went the full 15 mins because as everyone knows he doesn't have much of a gas tank, but he did eat some big shots through out that fight. He really needs to work on his stand up and stop relying on his ground game to get the wins he wants.

EDIT: Does anyone have a gif of the head kick i'm talking about?

Last edited 4/25/08 12:29PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   4/25/08 12:22:00PM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Lutter was about a half-second from completely passing out.

Post #6   4/25/08 12:30:33PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Well according to rich he was throwing his arm out to try and bait lutter into taking it becouse he felt he knew he could escape, he said he never thought he was in danger. Rich has got a very under rated ground game imo. I dont think theres anybody in the division he cant at least hang with other than maia. Mabeys almedia aswell but i think his jits is about on par with lutters. Travis needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and thinking hes unlucky, and build up some cardio and striking skills. Then he might be a legit threat. Till then, guys know all they need to do is last the first round and the fights over. Although for some thats easier said than done, theres no denying travis has one hell of a ground game.

Post #7   4/25/08 12:32:34PM   

AO

MMA Regular

Career:480-289
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Well according to rich he was throwing his arm out to try and bait lutter into taking it becouse he felt he knew he could escape, he said he never thought he was in danger. Rich has got a very under rated ground game imo. I dont think theres anybody in the division he cant at least hang with other than maia. Mabeys almedia aswell but i think his jits is about on par with lutters. Travis needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and thinking hes unlucky, and build up some cardio and striking skills. Then he might be a legit threat. Till then, guys know all they need to do is last the first round and the fights over. Although for some thats easier said than done, theres no denying travis has one hell of a ground game.

wtf where did you hear that? anyone that would leave their arm out as bait against a bjj blackbelt is a ******* idiot. although franklin has said some dumb shit he's hardly an idiot.

Post #8   4/25/08 12:42:13PM   

SpiderSilva

Spiderweidman

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,760-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
when he locked on that armlock I jumped out of my seat as I thought YES someone else can beat Franklin then it was like he spun a rubberband as Franklins body just unwinded and from there I knew that there was no way in hell Lutter was gonna Sub Franklin

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #9   4/25/08 12:44:44PM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:

wtf where did you hear that? anyone that would leave their arm out as bait against a bjj blackbelt is a ******* idiot. although franklin has said some dumb shit he's hardly an idiot.

No man, that was part of his game plan.

From Lutters tapes Franklins camp knew he has very loose arm bar submissions and a lot of over confidence in his BJJ.

This was an excellent way for Franklin to get the top position. It would have been difficult for Franklin to get off his back when in guard (due to Lutters good ground skills).

This was a good reversal move articulately planned by Franklins camp to gain the advantageous position when dealing with an experienced, overconfident BJJ practioner. Lutter overcommitted to a move he was way to confident he would lock in...

Smart - yet I agree, risky move on Franklins part.

Last edited 4/25/08 12:50PM server time by GlancyMMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/25/08 12:49:00PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I think Lutter broke his hand thats why his lost you can see it between rounds its all swollen

Post #11   4/25/08 12:52:05PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

If you're referring to when Rich said, "I was trying to give him a false sense of confidence.", then you didn't understand that Rich was joking. Rich knew he almost got caught. What happens to jujitsu practicioners is when they grapple, they stop when they secure the submission. They don't actually practice applying the pressure that makes somebody tap. Thats what happened. Lutter though that it was enough that he had Rich in that position and that he would tap. Rich didn't Rich turned his arm in the loose armbar and got out.

Post #12   4/25/08 12:52:32PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:
Rich got out of it.... simply put, back to the drawing board for the Cereal () Killer

Post #13   4/25/08 1:02:10PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Im tired of lutter saying he could beat people if they rematch, i really dont think he could and its just getting annoying to hear him say that crap. Like he can't hang with the contenders with bad cardio, striking and a good ground game isnt going to get him where he wants to be.

Post #14   4/25/08 1:02:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Train some cardio, show up in shape, and then talk shit Travis Lutter.

I put money on him in a parley cuz the odds were pretty stacked against him and I felt like he stood a decent chance, but he still showed up out of shape. His JJ is pretty good, but he aint got the whole package. I don't doubt he could beat Rich Franklin. If he wants to he better tighten up his takedowns and train that cardio.

Post #15   4/25/08 2:11:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2