Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP Moves Up P4P List, But Not to Top

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
It was a slow month for the 10 fighters on the Sherdog pound-for-pound ranking. Only one, Georges St. Pierre (Pictures), competed. His dismantling of Matt Serra (Pictures) avenged a shocking defeat from one year ago, and continued the momentum he's seized since losing the UFC welterweight title. In regaining the belt, GSP moved passed Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) on the list. Outside of that, it remains unchanged.

LINK

Post #1   4/25/08 7:51:51AM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:
I know there are different ways to qualify as the best P4P fighter in the World and no one can really argue with Silva being at the top, but is there really one thing that Silva does better than GSP?

Striking - Even, they both are quick and light on their feet and out strike everyone. Maybe, maybe a slight advantage to Silva.

Takedowns - GSP, not Silva's style

GnP - Same as TDs above

Submissions/BJJ - I wil give it an even, but I tend to lean GSP

TD defense - GSP, Hughes and Kos take attest to this and the TD aspect

Wrestling - GSP

I would have to move GSP up to #1 and then move Silva and Page down a slot.

Post #2   4/25/08 8:26:36AM   

vtecmonster

Learning to Sprawl

vtecmonster Avatar

Career:37-25
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

I know there are different ways to qualify as the best P4P fighter in the World and no one can really argue with Silva being at the top, but is there really one thing that Silva does better than GSP?

Striking - Even, they both are quick and light on their feet and out strike everyone. Maybe, maybe a slight advantage to Silva.

GnP - Same as TDs above

Wrestling - GSP

Your understanding of BJJ is way, way off.

Silva’s BJJ is light years beyond GSP’s.

Silva’s stand up is far better than GSP’s

GSP’s wrestling is far better than Silva’s

Silva is #1

Last edited 4/25/08 9:07AM server time by vtecmonster
Edit note/reason: grammer

Post #3   4/25/08 9:05:31AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
the the person who said The striking is even between both not even close.

IMO GSP=Overrated striker.

i agree with GSP being 3rd, and silva first. (although i think GSP will pass Page over the next year)
Wresteling: GSP
GnP: GSP
Striking: Silva, by a wide margin
Clinch: Silva, which is where i think GSP would loose the fight if he fought silva. (however i dont think this fight will ever happen)
BJJ: Silva, Those long limbs would make it very difficult for GSP to do much damage from top. (same as above)

Last edited 4/25/08 9:22AM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   4/25/08 9:19:36AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
I can't see how Rampage is above GSP... the rest seem about right... Rampage is a hell of a banger and crazy strong..... He is a beast.... but GSP just has more skill.... less savagery....

I guess it a matter of GSP proving himself with a few successful title defences to jump to the #2 slot...

There is no arguing Silva... Man someone needs to switch weight classes and make that happen....

I may also take Urijah up to #5 but that debateable...

Last edited 4/25/08 10:11AM server time by GlancyMMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/25/08 10:09:59AM   

Tailgunner

MMA Regular

Tailgunner Avatar

Career:143-80
Chips:

Posted by GlancyMMA

I can't see how Rampage is above GSP... the rest seem about right... Rampage is a hell of a banger and crazy strong..... He is a beast.... but GSP just has more skill....

+1 GSP is better than Rampage P4P no doubt.

#1- Anderson Silva
#2-GSP
#3-Fedor

Post #6   4/25/08 10:53:30AM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:
how is "Kid" Yamamoto on the P4P list but not in the top 10 list???

Post #7   4/25/08 2:42:56PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

your whole post seems blinded by a bias that has tainted your judgment, but on these pints especially you come off as a fool.

a tear caressed my cheek as i read you proclaiming that GSP has better submissions/BJJ then Silva. that is ridiculous to say. as a self-proclaimed JJfreak that hurt my feelings.

and as for the striking...all i ave to say to that is this:

Post #8   4/25/08 2:50:32PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

how is "Kid" Yamamoto on the P4P list but not in the top 10 list???

Has he fought in a few different weight classes previously maybe ?

Not too sure to be honest.

Post #9   4/26/08 2:08:59AM   

NinjaCyborg

Forum Banned

NinjaCyborg Avatar

Career:175-184
Camp: Double Deuce
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

ha ha ha ha ha ha...... Are you serious?

Everything GSP does, Silva can perform 10 times better.
I love GSP, but Silva would completely demolish him.

Post #10   5/26/08 7:05:14PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by mutosufan

And you felt the need to drag up a month old thread for what reason........?

Post #11   5/27/08 12:13:16AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
I think that BJ Penn is going to move up and fight GSP for sure, then after that he is going to move up again and fight Anderson Silva.

If you don't believe me, go back and look at his fight record. After reading his book, I can say that BJ is much more concerned with fighting and beating the best more than he is with defending belts and things like that

Post #12   5/27/08 8:53:09AM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by mutosufan

GSP is better wrestler than Silva.So saying hes 10 times better at everything is a stretch..Sometimes i dont even think you watch mma.I think you pick who you think is better looking.And to bring up and old thread just to laugh at someones post...When the majority of us laugh at your post.

Post #13   5/27/08 1:16:53PM   

NinjaCyborg

Forum Banned

NinjaCyborg Avatar

Career:175-184
Camp: Double Deuce
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by mutosufan

GSP is better wrestler than Silva.So saying hes 10 times better at everything is a stretch..Sometimes i dont even think you watch mma.I think you pick who you think is better looking.And to bring up and old thread just to laugh at someones post...When the majority of us laugh at your post.

Everyone said Hendo was a better wrestler than Silva too... then Silva completely dominated him.
Yes saying "10 Times Better" was an exaggeration, but he is better in every aspect.
So... because I don't have the same opinion as you on a matter, you're questioning whether I even watch MMA? Thats just ridiculous.

And I have every right to drag up a 1 month old post if I choose too. So shut your stupid mouth before I drag up a 1 year old post. Jackass.

Post #14   5/27/08 3:03:14PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by mutosufan

GnP - Same as TDs above

Wrestling - GSP

There is no way on earth that GSP is as good a striker as Silva. Simple as that, no one is more accurate and calculated and just because GSP has excellent wrestling/GNP does not mean that somehow he has as good a BJJ game as Silva, he is not nearly as good.

Post #15   5/27/08 3:15:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2