Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Inside MMA" video: Why is Kimbo Slice so hated?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
EliteXC heavyweight fighter Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson has quickly become one of the biggest, and also, most controversial figures in MMA.

But is it really his own fault?

LINK

Post #1   4/24/08 10:06:35PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
I am excited to see how far he can go.. but ppl forget.. no one is saying that kimbo is great now.. but i and some others are saying odds are.. he will be great some timei n the future... maybe not the best.. but good ya know.

and props to kimbo for realizing that mma has it and streeet fighters dont.. he got beat by an mma guy in one of his videos and next thing i knew was him training with bas.. i dontknow if that is why he started training but that is what it seems like

Post #2   4/24/08 10:15:55PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree with both sides....Kimbo isn't really at fault that EliteXC has hyped him up soo much. What do you expect though....the HW Div over there sucks. Maybe it gets built up if all the good HWs want to fight him, or hear that his contract / treatment is what they wanted and didn't find in the UFC. In the meantime EliteXC is going to keep the hype up on Kimbo because the guy is selling the product! Plus, what is not to like...he's a big, scary, black, bearded, bald, hard hitting, ghetto MOFO who is KOing his way onto CBS! Don't hate!!!

Post #3   4/24/08 11:15:21PM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
heres why MMA fans hate the guy so much, all my friends that don't watch UFC often think kimbo slice can beat chuck.

Post #4   4/24/08 11:15:58PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I agree with Bas that he needs to be built up and all but the announcers seem to be pushing him down our throats. The reason im not too fond of Kimbo is that yes he is a pretty good striker but Elite XC is trying to making him the face of Network TV which I personally feel is bad for the sport. When I googled Kimbo the first 3 or four were about MMA and then then next one was a video of him Street Fighting a guy. This is just going to give guys like John McCain and other anti-MMA activists fire imo and the company is just trying to make money off Kimbo with out thinking of the attack that is going to come upon him. I don't to me its not the person I want people to see and be like "Wow he used to fight on the streets and now hes making millions thats what I'm going to do!" and then people die and MMA goes back to the dark ages trying to crawl out of the hole its been crawling out of getting sanctioned and ect.

Am I saying Kimbo will lead to this, not particularly but when a man is shown in videos just beating the crap out of guys that don't know what there doing on streets I think it can lead to a tunnel of criticism that Kimbo can't handle (pressure/being attacked by political and crazed political activists) and the misrepresentation of what the sport is about. Thats just my two cents.

Post #5   4/24/08 11:34:18PM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
when he gets his beat 1 time he will fade away.... I hope they put him in with Dave Hermann soon so it can happen

Post #6   4/25/08 12:18:35AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

I am excited to see how far he can go.. but ppl forget.. no one is saying that kimbo is great now.. but i and some others are saying odds are.. he will be great some timei n the future... maybe not the best.. but good ya know.

and props to kimbo for realizing that mma has it and streeet fighters dont.. he got beat by an mma guy in one of his videos and next thing i knew was him training with bas.. i dontknow if that is why he started training but that is what it seems like

A lot of people are already crowning him; yet he has not beaten anybody. IMO people hate on him, because he is over hyped and not proven yet.

Post #7   4/25/08 12:36:30AM   

EON

Banned

Career:112-65
Chips:
I think the problem is uneducated fans AKA people who call MMA "Ultimate Fighting" think he is the best fighter like back in the day when people fixated on Tank, then he was submitted and beatdown several times. Who knows if this is the way of Kimbo, he seems to have good trainers and if he keeps building up confidence and experience with cans and so/so fighters eventually he'll get a decent striker or jiu jitsu fighter, that will be his true entrance into MMA.

For now hes still just a name, and for the most part people who know or slightly know MMA dont like that, simply because he is untested and people already think he would woop Randy Couture and Fedor. Kimbo himself even says hes just an ametuer in this sport and thats very humble considering hes labeled as a "one dimentional thug"

I would personally pick him to beat Chuck, there styles are that of Rampage and Chuck (Kimbo the aggressor and Chuck the Counterattacker) and even though I can see it going either way, this is a bad fight for Chuck, and I dont buy all this Forrest KO'd Kimbo crap. I want a source and a video of him or Forrest saying this happened with 10 witnesses.

Kimbo's Chin > Chuck's Chin.......... Kimbo's Power > Chuck's Power

Post #8   4/25/08 2:08:54AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

I agree with Bas that he needs to be built up and all but the announcers seem to be pushing him down our throats. The reason im not too fond of Kimbo is that yes he is a pretty good striker but Elite XC is trying to making him the face of Network TV which I personally feel is bad for the sport. When I googled Kimbo the first 3 or four were about MMA and then then next one was a video of him Street Fighting a guy. This is just going to give guys like John McCain and other anti-MMA activists fire imo and the company is just trying to make money off Kimbo with out thinking of the attack that is going to come upon him. I don't to me its not the person I want people to see and be like "Wow he used to fight on the streets and now hes making millions thats what I'm going to do!" and then people die and MMA goes back to the dark ages trying to crawl out of the hole its been crawling out of getting sanctioned and ect.

Am I saying Kimbo will lead to this, not particularly but when a man is shown in videos just beating the crap out of guys that don't know what there doing on streets I think it can lead to a tunnel of criticism that Kimbo can't handle (pressure/being attacked by political and crazed political activists) and the misrepresentation of what the sport is about. Thats just my two cents.

Thank God there is some common sense out there.

I agree this can mot be good for MMA. Elite XC is pushing the KO's way too much. If they keep going like this it may end up as a Kickboxing org instead.

Mark my words, Elite XC will bring a rule that makes it hard for wrestlers and JJ's to even compete. Like the standing after 15 sec rule. So that every time one of there so called champions hits the floor they can stand back up.

Post #9   4/25/08 10:12:03AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:

Posted by chubbud22

A lot of people are already crowning him; yet he has not beaten anybody. IMO people hate on him, because he is over hyped and not proven yet.

That's totally the issue, Kimbo is hyped up but his promotion is giving him nobodies and hasbeens. EliteXC can make a lot of money promoting Kimbo fights - even circus side show fights. But if Kimbo wants his career to become legitimate he will need to fight reputable fighters. - The issue is that Kimbo and his promotion have different goals in mind for his career.

Give him a actual test and I think we'll see his is actually a competent fighter - a champ, no... but a competent fighter. Training with Bas HAS to do something for your skill level.

Post #10   4/25/08 12:58:14PM   

DaBeatdown

MMA Regular

DaBeatdown Avatar

Career:981-654
Camp: Knee's
Chips:
Most people don't hate Kimbo, just his fans

Post #11   4/25/08 2:48:24PM   

vtecmonster

Learning to Sprawl

vtecmonster Avatar

Career:37-25
Chips:

Posted by EON

Kimbo's Chin > Chuck's Chin.......... Kimbo's Power > Chuck's Power

Chuck's Hands >

Chuck's Wrestling >

Chuck's Footwork >

Chuck's BJJ > (Purple Belt under Eddie Bravo)

Chuck's Record >

Chuck's Competition >

Chuck's Kicks >

Chuck's Experience >

Chuck's not that much smaller (what 30lbs? tops)
I would bet that Chuck punches harder than Kimbo also... Muscles don't mean shit! Nothing. Hell, I bet Anderson Silva hits harder than Kimbo.

Post #12   4/25/08 3:59:10PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would bet that Chuck punches harder than Kimbo also... Muscles don't mean shit! Nothing. Hell, I bet Anderson Silva hits harder than Kimbo.

No way man .... what are you, high??? I have been in a lot of fights bro and I can say from experience that in general ( 90% of the time ) bigger guys can hit harder....it's just physics.

Post #13   4/25/08 4:41:21PM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
It's not physics it Kinesiology (human kinetics) and larger muscles do not mean more power.

Its all about the muscle makeup, tendons, application of pressure.

It's a matter of your workout you can strength train and not necessarily increase your muscle mass - you can change the elasticity of your muscles.

You could go on a cycle of creatine tomorrow and gain muscle mass but thats only actually water retention in your muscles and does not neccessarily increase your strength....

We've strayed from the Kimbo topic here but this is a factor in the size advantage/disadvantage of Kimbo vs. Liddell

Post #14   4/25/08 4:59:40PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I think a lot of people dont like Kimbo because they think "he's a street fighter". When they have no idea that their favorite fighter(chuck, very well liked and has a huge name) cut his teeth doing the same thing. just not on YOUTUBE

Post #15   4/25/08 8:29:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2