Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kalib Starnes' Statement Regarding UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Following one of the most contentious performances of 2008, middleweight Kalib Starnes has released a statement regarding his fight with Nate Quarry at UFC 83.

Irked by what he characterized as inaccurate accounts of his status with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Starnes also promises to release details on the injuries he sustained in the fight.

LINK

Post #1   4/24/08 7:22:41AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
It's a good article, and glad he came clean with a statement.

However,

1. Don't ******* cry to me about the money. If you did not like the money, then you should have never signed the contract. I am sick of hearing about that shit.

2. If you were that injured, then why didn't your corner throw in the towel between rounds?

That being said, I am pleased to hear that the whole "throwing the fight" thing was cleared up. When I heard that rumor, I wanted to vomit.

Post #2   4/24/08 9:25:13AM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:

But I don't answer them, ‘I just light my cigarette, and smile.’

He must smoke low-tar. Ran pretty good for a smoker. I would like ot add that its the Athletic Commissions, not the UFC, that require all the medical necessities and if Starnes can find higher pay with another organization: Go for it: Elite-XC is making all kinds of money. (You can't see it but I'm rolling my eyes).
As far as the injuries sustained, it's quite common for fighters to run away when injured in a fight. I lay awake at night and think about what would have happened if only Couture had finished fighting Gonzaga when his arm broke instead of running away.

-OUT-

Post #3   4/24/08 10:03:37AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,489-1,182
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I agree with the "throw in the towel option".

Post #4   4/24/08 10:10:13AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
That was actually a very grounded, honest response. I can actually appreciate Starnes position now.... (agreeing with it is a different story) but I can appreciate his situation.

Post #5   4/24/08 10:13:18AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,489-1,182
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I do have to give him credit for at least acknowledging why he lost the fight and giving praise to Nate.

I like the "keep him in a cave" comment.

Post #6   4/24/08 10:24:31AM   

stock

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Darnok

I do have to give him credit for at least acknowledging why he lost the fight and giving praise to Nate.

I like the "keep him in a cave" comment.

Post #7   4/24/08 11:33:58AM   

BloodMeridian

Learning to Sprawl

BloodMeridian Avatar

Career:513-309
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

According to the UFC it is a "foul" to throw in the towel.

See Rule 31

Last edited 4/24/08 11:40AM server time by BloodMeridian
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/24/08 11:39:24AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BloodMeridian

Posted by Darnok

According to the UFC it is a "foul" to throw in the towel.

See Rule 31

Wow, so it is officially a DQ (Towel) and not a TKO (towel) as the MMA records sites suggest.

Refusal to come out for the round is a TKO loss and your corner throwing in the towel is a DQ loss? hmmm

I think the UFC should update their rulebook, not the records sites.

Post #9   4/24/08 11:58:51AM   

oleg

Banned

oleg Avatar

Career:96-67
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Hate to point out the obvious, but the rulebook is determined by athletic commissions, not the UFC.

Ultimately there is no difference: throw in the towel = you lose.

Post #10   4/24/08 12:33:59PM   

stock

Banned

Chips:

Posted by oleg

Posted by Kpro

Hate to point out the obvious, but the rulebook is determined by athletic commissions, not the UFC.

Ultimately there is no difference: throw in the towel = you lose.

Exactly.
I meant it figuratively anyway. All he would have had to do was tell the ringside doctor or ref that he was injured and could no longer fight; then they would have called the stoppage.

Post #11   4/24/08 1:23:15PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
I watched the fight again and Kalib threw just two kicks with his right leg. There were no sign of him hurting himself with it. No limping or anything. I guess he was just scared getting hurt by Nate, so he run from him for three rounds. And in that case, being a mma fighter is simply not the right job for kalib. It's just as easy as that. There are guys outthere winning with broken bones all day long.

But in fact, those guys stepping into a cage or ring definitely risk their health in every fight they have. I'm not like a lot of internet big mouths talking the talking but not walking the walk. I wouldn't risk my health for money, so i'm definitely not the one to blame Kalib for anything, except for stepping in that cage and crying about getting hurt inthere afterwards. That's just what comes with fighting full contact combat sport.

Nevertheless i agree with Kalib there's a lack in the mma world about taking care of the fighters injuries. In my opinion the athletic commissions should also regulate issues like health care of the fighters too, and transfering the costs for it to the organisations they are fighting for. The organisations are at least those who profit most from the risk the fighters are taking.
And yes, i support the idea of an labor union for fighters and their right to get appropiate payment, like in any other employment relationship.

Post #12   4/24/08 1:45:13PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
i can see where he is coming from. he was aware of the expenses that came with his contract but like he said, he got busted up and had to take two and a half months off from any kind of work and was hardly compensated for it. if his corner had thrown in the towel he would be getting blasted for for NOT fighting with an injury and even after he decided to fight with the injury he is getting blasted for trying to protect his health to the point where he wouldnt have to rely on the ufc's pitiful compensation. i dont like what he did as much as anyone else, but you have to look out for #1 because no one else,including the ufc, will.

Post #13   4/24/08 1:48:14PM   

Tein_Lung

Banned

Career:92-57
Chips:
how do you get injured running away?

Post #14   4/24/08 2:55:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Kalib fought like a panzy, straight up.

That being said, I agree that health screenings before an event should be paid for by the UFC, and injuries sustained during an event the same. What really sickens me is people who aren't putting their health at risk and not paying those bills saying fighters are "crying" . Yet they're reaping all the benefits of watching the fighters entertain them.

Post #15   4/24/08 3:35:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2