Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC fantasy LHW tournament

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I don't think that I'm alone in saying that I love MMA tournaments, it's one thing that I think Pride has that the UFC can't touch...

So what I did was picked out 16 LHW fighters, did a really quick ranking and set up the two brackets in a standard 1 fights 16, 2 fights 15, etc format, and when I actually looked at the fights, I kind of surprised myself...

There is one rematch, and it's far from perfect, but it's a start, and I think it should be done...

One thing, I didn't include Chuck in the tournament, once I was finished I wasn't sure why, so let's just call it a #1 contender tourny or something...

1. Tito
2. Babalu
3. Rampage
4. Rashad
5. Machida
6. Bisbing
7. Jardine
8. Forrest
9. Lambert
10. Vitor
11. Matt Hamil
12. Bonnar
13. Hoger
14. James Irvin
15. David Heath
16. Van Arsdale

BRACKET 1:

Tito / Van Arsdale
Rampage / Irvin
Machida / Bonnar
Jardine / Vitor

Bracket 2:

Babalu / David Heath
Rashad / Hoger
Bisbing / Hamil
Forest / Lambert

Whadayall think?

Comments / suggestions /

Joe Silva's home phone number??

Last edited 2/23/07 7:17PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/23/07 1:40:42PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Great thread, but it's a thread for the lounge.

My opinion, UFC should hold tournys in the UK.

Last edited 2/23/07 1:59PM server time by nate22

Post #2   2/23/07 1:58:54PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nate22

Great thread, but it's a thread for the lounge.

Ya, I was kind of thinking so myself, I just thought that more people would take a look at it in this forum... I figure you guys will put it wherever it needs to be in the end...

My opinion, UFC should hold tournys in the UK.

I know that Dana said he would not change the rules, but I think this could be an exeption and the UK would be perfect for it...

Post #3   2/23/07 2:03:25PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
No love for the fantasy tournament?????

Post #4   2/23/07 4:27:46PM   

Bountytaker

MMA Regular

Career:116-77
Camp: House of Granite
Chips:
A tourney would be an interesting idea....LH and Lightweights in UFC are ripe for one, with plenty of good matchups possible.

As for your fantasy version, here are some of my opinions:

1) You've got Babalu too high...he had his shot against chuck, and didn't show us much. He should drop.

2) I'm still not convinced that Rashad Evans is the 4th best contender yet, although he is moving up on my list....but then again, there aren't many on the list, so....Still, right now, I think Forrest could take Evans, so i'd have him as the higher seed.

3) Rampage should be the #1 contender in reality.....so he should get the 1 seed.

4) Love the potential of a Bisbing/Hamil fight...

5) I'd flip Hogar and Bonnar...I think they are going in opposite directions. A Machida/Hogar fight might be more fun.

6) Jardine/Vitor could be THE fight of your tourney...I think it'd be a WAR.

7) Some good matches overall, but some sleepers too...although you've got a heck of a second round brewing....nicely done

That's about all I've got...

Post #5   2/23/07 4:52:10PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bountytaker

A tourney would be an interesting idea....LH and Lightweights in UFC are ripe for one, with plenty of good matchups possible.

As for your fantasy version, here are some of my opinions:

1) You've got Babalu too high...he had his shot against chuck, and didn't show us much. He should drop.

2) I'm still not convinced that Rashad Evans is the 4th best contender yet, although he is moving up on my list....but then again, there aren't many on the list, so....Still, right now, I think Forrest could take Evans, so i'd have him as the higher seed.

3) Rampage should be the #1 contender in reality.....so he should get the 1 seed.

4) Love the potential of a Bisbing/Hamil fight...

5) I'd flip Hogar and Bonnar...I think they are going in opposite directions. A Machida/Hogar fight might be more fun.

6) Jardine/Vitor could be THE fight of your tourney...I think it'd be a WAR.

7) Some good matches overall, but some sleepers too...although you've got a heck of a second round brewing....nicely done

That's about all I've got...

It's hard to get the rankings right... I really wanted to look at a tournament set up, so I kind of just threw the rankings together quickly... It's rankings, so it'll always be arguable

I wasn't really sure what to do with Babalu and Tito, I contemplated leaving them off because noone wants to see either of them vs Chuck III, but I had to add them in...

I would be interested in Tito / Van Aresdale... I just rewatched Mike's fight with Randy and that guy is a monster when it comes to wrestling... (then Randy caught him in that picture-perfect gator roll, great fight)

I still haven't seen Ryoto / Hoger I (heard it was a great fight though), and it seems a little early for a rematch... And IMO, it would be interesting to see how Stephan would fair now that he is more experienced...

I was hoping to see Bisbing / Hamil on TUF, and it was funny that it ended up that way, but I think that would be a great contrast of styles...

I had to add Vitor in there and when he got stuck next to Jardine... Fireworks...

Thanks for the reply, though

good points all around

It'd be great to see the UFC start utilizing tourny's again...

Post #6   2/23/07 5:26:47PM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,688-1,022
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think its a good thing you left Chuck out.

The winners from your brackets would be...
BRACKET 1:

Tito
Irvin (Rampage just isn't the same)
Bonnar
Jardine

Bracket 2:

Babalu
Rashad
Bisbing
Forest / Lambert = This would be a hell of a fight. I just don't know... I'll go with Forest.

Next matchup...
Tito v Forsest
Irvin v Bisping
Bonnar v Rashad
Jardine v Babalu

Winners...
Tito
Irvin
Rashad
Jardine

Next matchup...
Tito v Jardine
Rashad v Irvin

Winners...
Jardine and Irvin

Champion... Jardine.

Last edited 2/23/07 7:17PM server time by hippysmacker

Post #7   2/23/07 5:38:38PM   

Punishment

Learning to Sprawl

Punishment Avatar

Career:102-57
Camp: UFC POOL
Chips:
Bonnar took care of Irvin within 2 mins and you got him beating Rampage/Rashad & Bisping ? WoW

Finals: Rampage Vs. Tito.... but too bad they'd NEVER fight

Last edited 2/23/07 7:47PM server time by Punishment

Post #8   2/23/07 7:46:52PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If Chuck died today ,and the UFC decided to hold a tournament with these 16 fighter's ,this is how I think it would go down.. Let me premise this by saying If this happened the UFC would not do a tournament. I don't like one-night tornaments. Injury and who you fought in your earlier matches have as much to with the winner as anyhting. I would like it to where the best fighter's win on that night, luckily this is fanntas yland. I will make this a tournament where the fighter's fight every 2 months and since we are in fantasy land everyone is 100% healthy for each fight.
DISCLAIMER:::: I think if this tournament happened in a year or the final would be Rashad vs Bisping, I'll tell you who I think would win then

Bracket 1

Tito over Van Arsdale
Rampage over Irvin
Machida over Bonnar
Jardine over Vitor

Bracket 2

Babalu over Heath
Rashad over Hoger
Bisping over Hammil
Forest over Lambert

Quarterfinals

Tito over Rampage
Jardine over Machida
Babalu over Rashad
Forest over Bisping

Semifinals

Jardine over Tito
Babalu over Forest

Final
Babalu over Jardine

I rank Babalu #5 at LHVY and think he would have given Chuck a good fight if he didn't have a crazy game plan in their second fight. I think Wandy ruined Rampage, and while I hope he returns even better than he was before, I won't beleive it till I see him beat a top LHVY again. This even more subjective , opinion based than P4P rankings to me. Also, the brackets were already set up, so that goes along way in determining each person's opinion on the outcome. Style's make fight's a lot of the time.It's all just in good fun though.

P.S. I think if Chuck fought any of these 16 guys right now he would KO them

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   2/23/07 8:02:49PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Punishment

Bonnar took care of Irvin within 2 mins and you got him beating Rampage/Rashad & Bisping ? WoW

You know snacks had a good point IMO when said Rampage and Tito would fight their own mother's for enough money Anyway, thye have both said they would fight eachother , but that it would have to be for a big raise

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/23/07 8:04:55PM   

RichBoy

MMA Regular

RichBoy Avatar

Career:387-201
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I thought Van Arsdale retired ?

Post #11   2/23/07 8:52:05PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I'm not playing this game because you all think Jardine has a chance at making the final and this upsets me deeply.

Love you guys, but never that!! lol.

Post #12   2/23/07 9:49:39PM   

Punishment

Learning to Sprawl

Punishment Avatar

Career:102-57
Camp: UFC POOL
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Punishment

You know snacks had a good point IMO when said Rampage and Tito would fight their own mother's for enough money Anyway, thye have both said they would fight eachother , but that it would have to be for a big raise

not to be a dick or anything , but do you or 'snacks' have a SOURCE or interview where they have both said this ? Cus i dont believe it, I have heard both men say they wouldnt fight each other time & time again (rampage most recently)

Last edited 2/23/07 9:54PM server time by Punishment

Post #13   2/23/07 9:54:07PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Punishment

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Punishment

not to be a dick or anything , but do you or 'snacks' have a SOURCE or interview where they have both said this ? Cus i dont believe it, I have heard both men say they wouldnt fight each other time & time again (rampage most recently)

As for Snacks, I think it was a joke. In my case I understand and take no offense if you don't beleive me. .I can't rememeber where I heard the interviews , but they were in the last 6 months. I remember when Tito said it, because it was eerily similiar to his comments about a possible Chuck fight the first time. Something along the lines of , I don't want to fight a friend unless I'm getting a heck of a lot more money. Rampage said something along the same lines. They were both audio interviews I heard. That's all I remember. Sorry

The Iron Code

Post #14   2/23/07 10:51:25PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
I remember Rampage saying it, but I'm sure Tito would deny it to his grave trying to avoid that fight.

Post #15   2/23/07 11:53:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2