Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMAWEEKLY World MMA Rankings Updated

Print  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, April 23. This system ranks the Top 10 MMA fighters from all across the world in each of the six most widely accepted weight classes, as voted on by MMAWeekly.

LINK

Post #1   4/23/08 11:21:15AM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:
Its shocking that they put Dan Henderson behind Yushin Okami on the middleweight rankings. Its also shocking that BJ Penn is behind both Gilbert Melendez and Gomi, and only ranked #7 lightweight in the world. Otherwise I can see reasoning behind the rankings and what not, I may not agree with them, but I don't think anyone ever agrees with rankings 100%, 99% of the top 10 guys in each weight class haven't even been up against each other.

Post #2   4/23/08 4:31:10PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Their LW and MW rankings are wacky
Bj Penn at 7, kawajiri at 2(wtf?)

Henderson at 9, Denis Kang at 4, Akiyama not even on the list.

BOO!!!!!

Post #3   4/23/08 4:35:11PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Their LW and MW rankings are wacky
Bj Penn at 7, kawajiri at 2(wtf?)

Henderson at 9, Denis Kang at 4, Akiyama not even on the list.

BOO!!!!!

i know...it is the same thing every time. and don't even get me started on not ranking Kid Yamamoto at FW...i mean seriously now.

MW and LW are definitely the worst as you said because it seems absolutely 0 logic was used in making them.

Post #4   4/23/08 5:04:29PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Its shocking that they put Dan Henderson behind Yushin Okami on the middleweight rankings. Its also shocking that BJ Penn is behind both Gilbert Melendez and Gomi, and only ranked #7 lightweight in the world. Otherwise I can see reasoning behind the rankings and what not, I may not agree with them, but I don't think anyone ever agrees with rankings 100%, 99% of the top 10 guys in each weight class haven't even been up against each other.

I think the big problem is that Okami may be next for Anderson and Dan just losing to him.Since Okami should be next to fight Anderson they go and rank him above Dan..I agree with you that Dan should be above Okami..Thats like ranking Forrest number 2 at LHW or having Serra number 2 prior to the GSP fight...I dont buy the fact that just because your the number 1 contender doesnt make the 2nd best fighter in your weight class...

I really hate rankings...

Ps dont even get me started at BJ at number 7....ZOMG WTF...HAHA

Last edited 4/23/08 5:23PM server time by 40ouncetofreedom
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/23/08 5:22:24PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by PaleHorse

I think the big problem is that Okami may be next for Anderson and Dan just losing to him.Since Okami should be next to fight Anderson they go and rank him above Dan..I agree with you that Dan should be above Okami..Thats like ranking Forrest number 2 at LHW or having Serra number 2 prior to the GSP fight...I dont buy the fact that just because your the number 1 contender doesnt make the 2nd best fighter in your weight class...

One thing we have to remember is I think this is a terrible MMA site. I believe they were the same ones who released the story saying that Luke Cummo pumped coffee up his butt to help his galstones.

Post #6   4/23/08 6:31:47PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by PaleHorse

One thing we have to remember is I think this is a terrible MMA site. I believe they were the same ones who released the story saying that Luke Cummo pumped coffee up his butt to help his galstones.

I actually like MMAweekly.com...Not the rankings of course just for news and such...the playground is the only site i use the forums on...Although honestly..just coming to this site keeps me up all the big news..So pretty much i come here and get everything newsworthy i need...

Post #7   4/23/08 6:43:45PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
Their rankings are based too much on how much skill they think fighters have, not on what they have proved with that skill. You cant rank on apparant skill because it may never materialize in the ring. Rankings should be based on who youve beaten and who youve lost to, not how people think you are.

Post #8   4/23/08 6:50:42PM