Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Starnes Requests Exit from UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
While it seems inevitable the the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Kalib Starnes will part ways, the manner in which the two separated appears to have been misinterpreted.

Source

Should be on main page.

Post #1   4/22/08 12:02:02PM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
This is smart damage control by the UFC. They know he was attempting to make a statement with that side show of a performance.

Shut the kid up for a few days while you "process his paperwork" and keep him quiet.

Release the fact that "Starnes has been released from his contract" allow fans to believe it's due to his "performance".

"I made a request to Joe Silva to be released from my UFC contract," Starnes said. "He told me it would take a couple of days for their legal department to complete the paperwork, and that he'd be sending me the forms when that was done. So I haven't finalized or confirmed that I've been released from that contract, and when that happens, I'll be able to talk further about the subject. But right now, I'm just waiting for that to happen."

by the time Starnes can legally talk, everyone will have already passed judgement and moved on.

Useless attempt at "taking on the man."

Post #2   4/22/08 12:36:35PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
so he wanted to be released but still had to fight and in the fight he didnt want to get hurt so he could fight again soon or something like that.

Starnes is such a puss, hope we dont see the same thing from tito.

Post #3   4/22/08 12:54:53PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Exactly right Glancy. If he wanted to make a statement he could have done it in a much more dramatic way. I think I'll start a thread.

Post #4   4/22/08 12:59:07PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
What a little bitch.....He is not UFC material in the first place so im glad to see him gone, but this sounds like he thinks he is too good for the UFC or something...BOO HOO little baby Starnes i hope no one signs ur weak asss...

Post #5   4/22/08 2:34:51PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i am embarassed to have told my friends i was a kalib fan before the fight. i hope he loses to ken shamrock in his next fight

Post #6   4/22/08 3:20:24PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,240-1,521
Chips:
While the Starnes/Quarry match was annoying I have to defend Starnes somewhat.
Starnes isn't a banger. He can stand up and fight...he is pretty good at it but he is a smaller middleweight...he tends to get punished and hurt when he does stand and bang.
Starnes is a groundfighter. He tried a few times to close the distance and take Quarry down but....no dice.
The times he did stand and bang with Quarry he got whacked.
While people say he was "running away"...he was really trying to avoid being KOed...when Quarry did "catch him" Starnes tried to either strike or close the distance....no dice again.
Sometimes a fighter "can't do anything".
Starnes was in that position.
Yeah it stunk for the fans...I am sure it stunk for Starnes even more...but sometimes those kinds of situations happen in MMA.
Did anyone bitch at Cro Cop for running from Fedor?
CroCop ran the whole fight...and when Fedor "caught him"..he tried to take Fedor down or strike him.
CroCop was in the same boat that night...he really couldn't do anything to Fedor.
I am sure no matter where Starnes ends up he will have some exciting fights.
EliteXC will grab him.

Post #7   4/22/08 3:32:14PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

While the Starnes/Quarry match was annoying I have to defend Starnes somewhat.
Starnes isn't a banger. He can stand up and fight...he is pretty good at it but he is a smaller middleweight...he tends to get punished and hurt when he does stand and bang.
Starnes is a groundfighter. He tried a few times to close the distance and take Quarry down but....no dice.
The times he did stand and bang with Quarry he got whacked.
While people say he was "running away"...he was really trying to avoid being KOed...when Quarry did "catch him" Starnes tried to either strike or close the distance....no dice again.
Sometimes a fighter "can't do anything".
Starnes was in that position.
Yeah it stunk for the fans...I am sure it stunk for Starnes even more...but sometimes those kinds of situations happen in MMA.
Did anyone bitch at Cro Cop for running from Fedor?
CroCop ran the whole fight...and when Fedor "caught him"..he tried to take Fedor down or strike him.
CroCop was in the same boat that night...he really couldn't do anything to Fedor.
I am sure no matter where Starnes ends up he will have some exciting fights.
EliteXC will grab him.

There is no excuse for that poor of a performance....A real fighter will try and find a way to win a fight not run from his apponent for fifteen minutes and give up completely.....

Post #8   4/22/08 3:59:23PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
damn.. i dont know what the hell his deal was/ i.... but i'm not him.. so oh well

Post #9   4/22/08 6:55:57PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
You're right that he had a very bad matchup but that happens sometimes. Starnes is a ground fighter but he can't be matched up with a ground fighter all the time, its not the ufc's fault that Starnes is virtually one dimensional after the Belcher fight he should have known to work on his stand up.

The majority of people that his performance stunk but I'm pissed that it was on the maincard mostly

Post #10   4/22/08 7:12:11PM   

therionace

Banned

Career:4-7
Chips:
good riddance, coward!

Post #11   4/22/08 7:22:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,500-1,283
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As a supporter of taking stands against anything you don't believe in; I'm disappointed he didn't find a better way to make the statement he wanted to make.

Post #12   4/23/08 12:40:20AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
in other words, Kalib pretty much pulled the old "you can't fire me, i quit!"

Post #13   4/23/08 1:00:00AM