Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kalib Starnes released from the UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
I guess I can't blame them after that performance. We all knew this was coming.

Article

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/UFC-cuts-Starnes-after-disgraceful-performance;_ylt=Al1.xloNkgVQcxM27ZMyyUs9Eo14?urn=mma,78124

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for homosexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."

Post #1   4/21/08 4:28:17PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
Saw this comming. I really want to hear from Kalib what the hell went on during or before that fight. He just didn't want to engage and he's a f****in fighter.

Post #2   4/21/08 4:34:38PM   

Hurricane_Brad

MMA Regular

Hurricane_Brad Avatar

Career:239-159
Chips:
That's a little harsh for one poor fight. I hope the UFC will reconsider if/when Kalib gets back on the right track.

Post #3   4/21/08 5:12:30PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

That's a little harsh for one poor fight. I hope the UFC will reconsider if/when Kalib gets back on the right track.

Its not really that harsh because it wasn't a poor fight., it was not engaging.

Lets use a different sport for example, soccer. It's the world cup and the goalie decides he doesn't want to block any goals that day. And the final score ends up 22-1. Do you think that team would keep him? No

Maybe if he had an off night and lost a fight that would be a harsh punishment, but he wasn't willing to fight which is what they were paying him $1000's to do.

Post #4   4/21/08 5:44:31PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,075-589
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Wow, Nate's comments were very professional. Props to him.

Post #5   4/21/08 6:17:45PM   

Coloss

MMA Regular

Coloss Avatar

Career:64-28
Chips:
One of the very few smart decisions of Dana. I doubt he did that just to frighten Sterns, be we gonna see.

Post #6   4/21/08 6:23:56PM   

skinnator

Standup Guy

skinnator Avatar

Career:94-81
Chips:
OUCH!!! Poor guy

Post #7   4/21/08 6:49:53PM   

THENEXTLHCHAMP

Learning to Sprawl

Career:278-190
Chips:
Yeah he does not belong in the UFC...How Embarassing

Post #8   4/21/08 7:27:33PM   

SerraLeben

Learning to Sprawl

SerraLeben Avatar

Career:14-10
Chips:
This was a great call on Dana's behalf. Who honestly didn't see this coming? Dana is probably glad Sterns gave him a reason to dismiss him because the have to many fighters on the payroll anyways.

I wonder if Sterns cares or not? And what his whole reason behind running away all fight was.

Post #9   4/21/08 7:33:46PM   

blkssncpt

MMA Regular

Career:434-334
Chips:
damn thats suck for him, i actually lik Kalib and enjoyed watching him fight but after that he really disappointed me , i mean after figting Leben and McDonald in good fights thats just sad......

-Rob

Post #10   4/21/08 8:07:50PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Ha hahahaha. You said when he gets back on the right "track" lol

Post #11   4/21/08 8:15:21PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
That fight made no sense.

Post #12   4/21/08 8:16:57PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
kalib said on the radio that he didn't fight out of protest of his contract, said he was mad about his low pay and that the ufc wouldn't pay his medical bills. take it however you want it but that's starnes story.

Post #13   4/21/08 8:17:48PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

kalib said on the radio that he didn't fight out of protest of his contract, said he was mad about his low pay and that the ufc wouldn't pay his medical bills. take it however you want it but that's starnes story.

If that's true, that's pathetic and I never want to see him fight for any organization ever again. Did he think his performance would hurt the UFC any? The only ones who lost out on that pathetic display was the fans. Way to shoot yourself in the leg. Oh, and way to look out for your fans also.

Post #14   4/21/08 8:36:04PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Ha hahahaha. You said when he gets back on the right "track" lol

hahaha good observation.

I personally thought that was one of the worst performaces ever but didn't think he should have got cut, however if its true that he didn't fight out of protest then he got what he wanted and screw him. Thanks Starnes, next time just refuse to fight in general and save us 15 minutes and give someone else a chance to show what they got

Post #15   4/21/08 8:56:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2