Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WERDUM VS AA, Forrest vs Lyoto-confirmed who takes it

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
This is stacking up to be the best ppv of the year so far and there aren't even any title fights! I can' wait to see these fights. A couple of these fights are really tuff for me to pick.

Machida is great and has some big wins and no losses. There is nothing about him that would tell me he would lose to Griffin. However, I believe alot of people have discarded Forrest after his loss to Jardine. The way I see it is, it's one loss and I don't think we can fairly judge his potential from that one fight. IMO we should see something in the fact that Forrest actually took this tuff of a match coming directly off such a devastating loss. Alot of "fan favorites" or "popular fighters" would have been given a "can" or basically a easy fight to restore their reputation. I'm thinking the odds makers will probably be favoring Machida but i'm going with Forrest by a controversial split decision. I'm not counting him out just yet. I seen him perfom much better than his last fight. I'm not to confident with my decision, but for some reason that's how I see it playing out.

AA/Werdum! Can't wait for this. I've been waiting forever for the UFC to start putting together some great HW matches. The only HW's in the UFC that the casual fans have been able to see consistently and become familiar with as fans thus far is Sylvia and AA. You can tell that the UFC is making a obvious attempt to improve the HW division. Anyhow, this is a hard pick. They don't seem to have any common opponents and from what i've seen have two different fighting styles. They both have beaten good fighters and both have lost to good fighters. I think Werdum definatly looks better on paper but that doesn't always prove to be. So for no particular reason i'm going with AA by ko/tko in the third round.

Post #46   2/23/07 10:46:07PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by nate22

Lyoto deserves some hype, The Rickson statement is a little drastic though. Everybody has wanted to see him fight some top competition for a while and although Forrest isn't exactly it, it beats fighting in K1 and Jungle Fight.

Forrest will stand with him no doubt and has a good chance to KO him at any point in the fight, more likely scenario is he will be outstruck and the question is whether or not Forrest will take the fight and be able to succeed on the ground. I doubt that he can or will. I'm very happy with the matchmaking here and think that it's a great fight for the division as I said before, time to see what Lyoto's made of, hopefully one of the two can end the fight.

I think Lyoto has got his big chance here. Beat Forrest and know he has a name in the divison. Even if he doesnt win i think it wil lbe a close fight.

The best thing that can happen for this fight is for it to go to a descision. Im sure it will be action packed and when a fighter comes off a close loss its almost a good thing.
What Made Bonnar a bigger star. Lossing to Forrest in one of the best fights ever. Or subbing James Irvin?

A close Descision is sometimes better than a finish. Not to mention if it is super close then Dana can hype up a rematch and make even more $$$$ of off it.

Post #47   2/24/07 1:38:47PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
You got that right... Lyoto is finally going to get a chance to fight on the big stage, and while Forrest might not be a top 5 LHW he is a very game fighter and more imortantly he has a huge fanbase with new / casual fans...

The more I think about it, the more I see the real genius behind the TUF shows... Not only are you getting people excited about what's essentially an audition... Not only are you putting on a cool mini-tournament type thing and showing free fights on TV...

They are also building a great platform to showcase fighters that aren't well known, but equally if not more accomplished in the MMA world, against fighters that have built a huge defacto fanbase from being on TV..

Like it or not, they are doing a lot of things right at Zuffa and the UFC

Post #48   2/24/07 1:52:01PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I kinda think Forrest and Machida are in the same boat . Forrest getting Koed was probably not something a lot of people thought would happen. I thought it would go to a decision either way, while giving Jardine the edge based on leg kicks. Whether he deserved it or not Forrest would have probably got a title shot if he won. He needs a win badly to remain relevant in the UFC LHVY picture. Machida's last win against a top fighter in his weight class was against Franklin over 3 years ago, and Ace doesn't even fight at that weight any more. They both need a win badly to even remain a candidate to fight the UFC's top guys IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #49   2/24/07 8:13:53PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I kinda think Forrest and Machida are in the same boat . Forrest getting Koed was probably not something a lot of people thought would happen. I thought it would go to a decision either way, while giving Jardine the edge based on leg kicks. Whether he deserved it or not Forrest would have probably got a title shot if he won. He needs a win badly to remain relevant in the UFC LHVY picture. Machida's last win against a top fighter in his weight class was against Franklin over 3 years ago, and Ace doesn't even fight at that weight any more. They both need a win badly to even remain a candidate to fight the UFC's top guys IMO.

If Forrest gets the win he will prob be 1 fight away from a title shot. If Lyoto wins he will develop a huge fanbase like Jardine has done.
Before Forrest fought Jardine everyone said the Big 3 contenders for the belt were Forrest, Rashad, and Quintion. As soon as Forrest lost his name was replaced on that list by everyone with Jardine. If it had gone to a desicison Forrest would have won. Its clear the UFC judges dont value leg kicks very much. (see Jardine vs Bonnar).
But if Lyoto beats Forrest he will be added to the list. And will probably be considered the #1 contender if Chuck Beats Rampage.
IMO if Lyoto Devastes Forrest then there the #1 contender match will be
Rashad Evans vs Ryoto Machida.

Post #50   2/24/07 10:03:23PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4