Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

ADCC: Cruz Vs. Monson *controversial*

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
You may have hears about this submission grappling match prior to threir fight at UFC 59, or maybe just through the grapevine. This is the one where Cruz taps to a can-oppener, which is an illegal submission in Abu-Dhabi, however this video shows that Monson wasnt infact trying to win with it, and a glitch in the rules starts a long arguement between the two camps and the ref. Apperantly Monson stripped naked at the end and stormed off, luckily this isn't shown video, but to be honest it's a miracle that he was able to keep a cool head for that long.

Enjoy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1426h_jeff-monson-vs-pe-de-pano-cruz

Last edited 2/23/07 12:39AM server time by richieb19
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/23/07 12:38:17AM   

RichBoy

MMA Regular

RichBoy Avatar

Career:387-201
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

You may have hears about this submission grappling match prior to threir fight at UFC 59, or maybe just through the grapevine. This is the one where Cruz taps to a can-oppener, which is an illegal submission in Abu-Dhabi, however this video shows that Monson wasnt infact trying to win with it, and a glitch in the rules starts a long arguement between the two camps and the ref. Apperantly Monson stripped naked at the end and stormed off, luckily this isn't shown video, but to be honest it's a miracle that he was able to keep a cool head for that long.

Enjoy

Yea i remeber hearing about that fight prior to there bout in the UFC. Atleast Jeff got revenge and won were it really counted in the UFC.

Post #2   2/23/07 1:24:30AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
You can use a "can opener" in the ADCC? It's used all the time in mma. Doesn't make sense to me. It seemed like there's some sort of discrimpincy with the gaurd being closed. So I really don't understand.

Post #3   2/23/07 2:22:05AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aceprone

You can use a "can opener" in the ADCC? It's used all the time in mma. Doesn't make sense to me. It seemed like there's some sort of discrimpincy with the gaurd being closed. So I really don't understand.

Basically the rules (for this specific match anyways) stated that the can-opener can be used to open a closed guard, but not as a finishing submission, Cruz knew this so he kept his guard closed and tapped to get the win. Really cheap on his part IMO, plus his actions afterwards where very childish also.

Post #4   2/23/07 2:31:22AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by aceprone

Basically the rules (for this specific match anyways) stated that the can-opener can be used to open a closed guard, but not as a finishing submission, Cruz knew this so he kept his guard closed and tapped to get the win. Really cheap on his part IMO, plus his actions afterwards where very childish also.

I understand now. It's not Monson's fault that Cruz tapped. I think Cruz was just upset that he couldn't out muscle Monson. It's Cruz's fault that he tapped. But whatever, pretty interesting footage.

Post #5   2/23/07 2:33:40AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Enjoy

I read about this. Some offical yelled for Monson to put his clothes back on. Then Monsons coach yelled out "hey man you just f*cked him in the ass you cant f*ck him in the ass with shorts on"'. I laughed when i heard that.

After watching the Video its still uncertain. If it was legal to do that to open the guard why was it illegal to use as a sub. It left open a opprutunity like what happened.
i dont think Moson attacking that random guy afterwards helped.
But if the Can Opener was illegal then Monson should have been DQ'd. He had that cranked on Cruz pretty hard.

By that Way Shonie at the end was the best part.

Post #6   2/23/07 8:17:51AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
So in the end he was DQ'd?

Was it just me or did the Ref look like one of the older Gracies? (Can't remember his name, but he's between Rorion and Rickson, I think)

Post #7   2/23/07 8:43:41AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

So in the end he was DQ'd?

Was it just me or did the Ref look like one of the older Gracies? (Can't remember his name, but he's between Rorion and Rickson, I think)

Wsant the REf the Bald guy? He looked like Wand from Behind without the Tatoo.
The guy at the Camera on the Tripod looked like a older version of Renzo. Im pretty sure i never saw Rickson there. But who knows the Camera was so shakey. It might have been Rorion who knows.

It was weird though. The Ref said to keep fighting and then Cruz flipped until the Ref gave him the win. You can look at both sides and see the truth in both.
Did Cruz cheat? who knows thats like asking Ken if he got KO'd by Sakuraba. Only he knows.

Post #8   2/23/07 8:48:01AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
That's some lawyer MMA for you. Pano is such a baby.

Post #9   2/23/07 10:30:41AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by richieb19

Enjoy

I read about this. Some offical yelled for Monson to put his clothes back on. Then Monsons coach yelled out "hey man you just f*cked him in the ass you cant f*ck him in the ass with shorts on"'. I laughed when i heard that.

After watching the Video its still uncertain. If it was legal to do that to open the guard why was it illegal to use as a sub. It left open a opprutunity like what happened.
i dont think Moson attacking that random guy afterwards helped.
But if the Can Opener was illegal then Monson should have been DQ'd. He had that cranked on Cruz pretty hard.

By that Way Shonie at the end was the best part.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the ref he jumped? Because I remember that Monson and his camp where saying that they were instructed in the dressing room about the can-opener rule, and the ref thought he was being accused of lying so declared PadePano the winner, then Monson lost it...

I could be wrong though...

Post #10   2/23/07 12:00:50PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck
It was weird though. The Ref said to keep fighting and then Cruz flipped until the Ref gave him the win. You can look at both sides and see the truth in both.
Did Cruz cheat? who knows thats like asking Ken if he got KO'd by Sakuraba. Only he knows.

Cruz didnt technically cheat, he just won in the cheapest way possible, and him not wanting to continue fighting Monson only proves that he was probably not able to beat him properly in the 1st place. Damn you on the Ken remark, damn you!

Post #11   2/23/07 12:04:03PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by madmarck

Cruz didnt technically cheat, he just won in the cheapest way possible, and him not wanting to continue fighting Monson only proves that he was probably not able to beat him properly in the 1st place. Damn you on the Ken remark, damn you!

hahaahha i loved it. Monson did have Cruz on his back the entire time. Its fairly clear that Monson was the stronger. He si all muscle and Cruz well he isn't close.

Post #12   2/23/07 12:44:23PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Was it ever certified that the Can Opener could be used to open the guard? I am going to base my post on the fact that it was, especially consider Monson's camp was going to show the video proving it.

How could anyone ever root for Cruz again. At the very least, he should have seen the confusion on his or Monson's part and continued the fight. It is not like he had his arm broken. No reason he could not continue except that he did not want to. Not only didn't Cruz open his guard, he used his left hand to pull his legs into a Figure-4 after the Can Opener is applied.

On a side note....what's with all the foreigners having high-pitched voices just kidding...well, actually I have always been curious about that

Post #13   2/23/07 3:11:11PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
Who knows man. I got a friend from France who talks pretty high. I think English is just a deeper language. But then again so is Russian. Who knows man. Anybody on here have a background in Linguistics?

Post #14   2/23/07 9:05:08PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
why wont cruz take the rematch, he just wants monson DQ'ed. god, i guess beggers can be choosers.

Post #15   2/25/07 7:56:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2