Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What are you listening to right now?

Print  
  Page 9 of 88   <<   6     7     8     9     10     11     12   >>
Posted By Message

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Canon by Funtwo,,,YouTube Video...

kickass guitar playing

You should look up the original arrangement by Jerry C, he is much better at this. This funtwo guy gets sloppy. Really sloppy. He completely simplifies some parts because he cant play them. At 2:02 he makes a gargantuan mess of a sweep.

Furthermore, his guitar isnt even properly intonated above the 12th fret!

Now THIS is what I call playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RNA1LfYbg

thats some sickass guitar playing right there,but its not a song i would like to actually listen to....

Post #121   4/4/07 7:06:35PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

yeah I agree there are plenty of bands making "complex" songs, such as Necrophagist, but really its faux complexity. They play fast, a lot of string skipping and artificial harmonics, but at the end of the day, the phrasing is still very regimented and constrained.

I just wish sometimes these guys would stop soloing in the key of their lowest open string, and stop playing phrases of varying notes but identical duration, it gets boring, but hey, thats where Jazz came from.

Check out some of the below, I think your opinion will change:

JAZZ DEATH METAL
Atheist
Pestilence
Cynic

PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL
Death
Opeth
Nocturnus

And for their utter complexity in musical composition (and I am not just talking about sher speed and un-organic technicality, I am talking about eloquently enfused harmonies, off beat drumming and moments of jazz fusion), I would take a listen to Cryptopsy and really listen to how complex their songs are.

Post #122   4/6/07 1:35:45PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I am familiar with the mentioned bands, and I hate to break it to you, but thats not Jazz. Those bands are far to structured and composed, with almost no improvisation.

If you believe that the mentioned bands display "eloquently enfused harmonies, off beat drumming and moments of jazz fusion" you really need listen to A) Proper Jazz or some traditional African, Kawaali or Carnatic music.

Death's Crystal mountain is great though, and I do like Sean Malone's (bassit of Cynic) song "Textures" is great, very Dream Theater-esque.

I dont like Opeth, their "Morningrise" album was incredible from start to finish, but everything else they do lacks inspiration.

Last edited 4/6/07 3:19PM server time by Mastodon2
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #123   4/6/07 3:16:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

I am familiar with the mentioned bands, and I hate to break it to you, but thats not Jazz. Those bands are far to structured and composed, with almost no improvisation.

If you believe that the mentioned bands display "eloquently enfused harmonies, off beat drumming and moments of jazz fusion" you really need listen to A) Proper Jazz or some traditional African, Kawaali or Carnatic music.

Death's Crystal mountain is great though, and I do like Sean Malone's (bassit of Cynic) song "Textures" is great, very Dream Theater-esque.

I dont like Opeth, their "Morningrise" album was incredible from start to finish, but everything else they do lacks inspiration.

I never said these bands were straight up jazz. They are still metal, but they do have jazz influence. No, its not improvisational, but death metal is much too technical to provide a good landscape for improv (and jazz does not have to be improvised).

For proper evidence, listen to Atheist's "Elements" album, in particular the song Air. How you can call this song completely structured is beyond me. Hell, the entire album is disjointed.

My point is that you called the genre a very bland and simplistic form of music, and what I am saying is that it can be very complex. To call Death's Individual Thought Patterns simplistic would be a sin.

Post #124   4/7/07 2:15:10AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

I never said these bands were straight up jazz. They are still metal, but they do have jazz influence. No, its not improvisational, but death metal is much too technical to provide a good landscape for improv (and jazz does not have to be improvised).

For proper evidence, listen to Atheist's "Elements" album, in particular the song Air. How you can call this song completely structured is beyond me. Hell, the entire album is disjointed.

My point is that you called the genre a very bland and simplistic form of music, and what I am saying is that it can be very complex. To call Death's Individual Thought Patterns simplistic would be a sin.

You seem to be dropping the Jazz name in the way that a lot of uneducated metal journos are doing these days, the entire foundation of Jazz is inprovisation, throwing harmonies and odd meters into a song doesnt make it Jazz, but at the same time, straight up imrpov doesnt either. And you cannot say that Death Metal is too technical for improvisation, no music is.

As for the point you make about Atheist, listen to Meshuggah (though it may pain you to do so, they are so bad), they are the perfect example of how something so chaotic, dissonant and disjointed can be perfectly regimented and structured.

Post #125   4/7/07 10:41:58AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by warglory

You seem to be dropping the Jazz name in the way that a lot of uneducated metal journos are doing these days, the entire foundation of Jazz is inprovisation, throwing harmonies and odd meters into a song doesnt make it Jazz, but at the same time, straight up imrpov doesnt either. And you cannot say that Death Metal is too technical for improvisation, no music is.

As for the point you make about Atheist, listen to Meshuggah (though it may pain you to do so, they are so bad), they are the perfect example of how something so chaotic, dissonant and disjointed can be perfectly regimented and structured.

Meshuggah? Are you kidding me? They are perhaps one of the most structured mainstream modern metal bands. Disjointed is not a word I would toss around witrh Meshuggah in the same sentence. While I don't agree with the term, many fans call Meshuggah "math metal" for obvious reasons. They are probably about as far away from jazz as you can get. This leads me to Atheist, how can you respond to my point by comparing Atheist and Meshuggah when they sound absolutely nothing alike?

Next, yes Jazz is based on improvisation, but only the most die hard elitists of jazz concur that all jazz must be freeform. If this were truly a widely accepted concept, then artists such as Duke Eillington, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, the entirety of the swing movement, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie and even more modern artists like John Zorn, Bela Fleck and Galactic would not be considered jazz because they have composed albums of their works.

Here are some examples for readers of the debate of composed non-improvised thrash and death metal WITH jazz influences:

Watchtower - The Eldritch

Atheist's Steve Flynn on drums. This is anything but boring and simplistic drumming

Atheist - Mother Man live

Ephel Duath

Here is an exmple of Meshuggah. Perhaps to some listeners it may seem a bit disjointed a first, but Meshuggah are simply highly technical metal containing nothing but calculated music. I am actually a fan of this band.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIIdj8

Last edited 4/7/07 4:59PM server time by warglory
4 total post edits

Post #126   4/7/07 4:25:26PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
Stemm - Face the Pain One of the Official Songs of UFC
Stemm - Fallen " " " "
Stemm - 13 years " " " "
Stemm - Inside " " " "
Black Flood Diesel - Lost Cause Official Song for UFC Beatdowns VOL. 1

Post #127   4/7/07 4:44:44PM   

RichBoy

MMA Regular

RichBoy Avatar

Career:387-201
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Anybody no Matt Serra's entrance song at 69 ??

Last edited 4/8/07 9:18PM server time by RichBoy

Post #128   4/8/07 4:13:55AM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
hillbilly delux

Post #129   4/8/07 5:49:27PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,898-1,020
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Gun's N' Roses- Rocket Queen

Post #130   4/9/07 9:16:32PM   

u_f_c

Learning to Sprawl

u_f_c Avatar

Career:155-97
Camp: Team UFC
Chips:
Bullet For My Valentine - Tears Don't Fall
Audioslave - Revelations
Three Days Grace - One X
Atreyu - Aint Love Grand
Billy Talent - River Below
Metallica - And Justice For All..., Master Of Puppets, Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Damage Inc., For Whome The Bell Tolls.

Post #131   4/10/07 10:51:18AM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,390-1,573
Chips:
Decapitated - Spheres of Madness
Beneath the Massacre - Nevermore
The Faceless - Ghost of a Stranger

Post #132   4/10/07 12:56:07PM   

deadcore

MMA Regular

deadcore Avatar

Career:69-52
Camp: FSC Fight Club
Chips:
Van Halen- Complete Zero

Last edited 4/12/07 4:24PM server time by deadcore

Post #133   4/12/07 4:24:20PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
CAB - Night Splash

Fantastic Jazz fusion from one of my favourite bands, featuring one of the worlds best, and most underrated guitarists, Tony Macalpine

Totally amazing guitarist, Classically trained Pianist, a true virtuoso in this age of fake musical heroes.

7 string player too, a man of sense.

Last edited 4/12/07 6:56PM server time by Mastodon2

Post #134   4/12/07 6:52:37PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I've been rocking the new Manowar and new Ensiferum.

The Manowar has some great songs, but not enough of them and way too many interludes. Cool idea, but some more metal would have been nice.

The new Ensiferum is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I was worried that when they original guitarist/vocalists/song writer left, they'd go downhill in a hurry, especially considering they got the dude from Norther to replace him, as Norther hasn't been good in years. Low and behold, this album is amazing from start to finish.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #135   4/13/07 11:31:04PM   

Page 9 of 88   <<   6     7     8     9     10     11     12   >>