Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture: Fight with Minotauro Nogueira ‘just doesn’t make sense’

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
I totally agree with Randy.

Post #16   4/13/08 5:57:50PM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,070-584
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Okay, so I am a huge captain america fan, but seriously....this whole thing has just gotten rediculous. I can't lie, I would love to see the Couture Fedore fight, but to pretend that Fedor is clearly the best heavyweight in the world at the current moment when he hasn't fought any legitimate contenders in two years is crazy. Beyond that, sure Randy Couture dismantled Gonzaga right....sure he did, and Gonzaga is a star on the rise right..... NO! The guy throws a good headkick to crocop and drops him...then he gets dismantled by Couture.....then he gets dropped by Fabrico Werdum...and before you know it the rising star is sittin on a 1 and 2 of his last three record....That hardly sounds like the best to me. now granted Gonzaga could come back and show us some talent in the future, but Couture's victory is looking less and less impressive. Furthermore, if Tim Silvia's big ass would have fought Couture as good as he did big Nog, then Randy would never have run through him the same way. I am not a Silvia fan, but he looked awful against Couture which makes me believe the back injury really was causing him severe pain. He picked Nog apart and got caught, who's to say Nogueira can't catch Randy on the ground ya know? So there we go over the past two fights...Now let's rewind to the three fights before those...you have a win over Mike Vanarsdale....and two severe ass beatings suffered at the hand of Chuck Liddell. Again, I am a huge fan of Couture, but this thing has just gotten out of hand. He needs to get off his high horse and realize that the fans want to see him fight and truly fight the best. Nog is in the top 5 for sure. If you can't get Fedor now, then fight Nogueira it just makes sence!

Good post.

Post #17   4/13/08 6:16:09PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I understand this subject has been beaten to death but I think its time i give my opinion on the whole subject

First of all I do not believe Couture could beat either Fedor or Nog. As far as Nog goes the guy is incredible on the ground you can't compare his ground skills to someone like Gonzaga or any one else that Randy has fought and not to mention he could just as easily get on top of Couture and pound him out there. Couture is a decent stand up fighter but these guys have about the same reach so I really can't see couture dominating Nog in the stand up for 5 rounds. Couture would really have to dominate the entire fight because I do not see any one finishing Nog, especially Couture. who meanwhile has been knocked out and submitted plenty enough.

Ya Nog is the #2 guy in the world and he lost to Fedor twice beating or not he actually went to decision with Fedor twice Fedor has 2 decisions to Nog and one to Crocop in the last 5 years. I personally think Couture should want to beat Nog and atleast establish him as #2 and imo opinion I wouldn't rank him any higher than #5 overall because I think Crocop would beat em in a ring, Liddell is better and then Nog and Fedor.

At first I respected his decision to retire on top he had made a comeback and finished with the title. Why should he just keep fighting guys like gonzaga until another liddell comes around and knocks him out. but the whole idea is he still wants to keep fighting so he should fight. The whole claim that he doesn't know how many fights he has left makes me thinks hes scared because its not the fighting that wears u down its the training and I know Randy is staying in shape because he is expecting the Fedor fight soon

sorry for the long 2 cents

Post #18   4/13/08 6:30:24PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Randy is right. It makes much more sense to not fight anybody and getting the shit sued out of yourself for breach of contract. Using MMAth is a much better approach to determine who you should or should not fight. After all, Gonzaga was ranked number two HW in the universe behind Fedor.
Randy should fight Kohsaka, the only man to defeat Emelianenko, even though it was with an illegal elbow that caused the damage, because elbows are legal in UFC.

-OUT-

Last edited 4/13/08 6:55PM server time by three_days_of_grey
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   4/13/08 6:31:24PM   

Greene33

MMA Regular

Greene33 Avatar

Career:590-391
Chips:
I think he’s a great fighter, but he’s been beat by Fedor twice

Randy has been beaten by Chuck Liddell twice, Nog was decisioned twice and Randy was the victim of two brutal KO's, i was a big supporter of Randy's when this all started, but as time goes by i just cant back him up anymore, why wouldn't he want to fight Nog and get out of his UFC contract? Randy obviously doesn't want to fight in the UFC anymore, so why doesn't he just say that? Why does he try and make it sound like Nog doesn't deserve to fight him because of his 2 losses to Fedor?

Post #20   4/13/08 7:14:58PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
both of these fighters have lost most of the respect, where is their love to fight, all athletes have the love to play the game, these fighters love to fight, so there 2 guys need to stop with all this shit and fight, fedor gets some props for accepting the fight vs tim but damn it took a long time, randy shut up with your hollywood drame lace the gloves and get in the cage

Post #21   4/13/08 7:39:27PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

both of these fighters have lost most of the respect, where is their love to fight, all athletes have the love to play the game, these fighters love to fight, so there 2 guys need to stop with all this shit and fight, fedor gets some props for accepting the fight vs tim but damn it took a long time, randy shut up with your hollywood drame lace the gloves and get in the cage

if things were as simple as saying OK lets fight, this fight would have happened a Longgg time ago, Unfourtunately they arent.

Post #22   4/13/08 7:54:52PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Well I think this is rediculous, Nog just submitted a guy in three that Randy coulden't finish, and by Randy's logic Fedor shoulden't want to fight Randy he should be going after a fight against Chuck, or Barnett, or Ricco, all of whom smashed Randy. Poor choice of words Mr. Couture. I think for Randy to win he would have to put Nog on his back and avoid subs for 5 full rounds, which I don't think he could do.

Post #23   4/13/08 8:06:12PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Fedor can't happen til Aug or later. Having a fight (nog) makes more sense than being a 44 yr old on the sideline for a yr and then coming back to fight Fedor after he uses Tim as a "warmup". And if Tim beats Fedor everything Randy has said for months goes out the window. Nog makes more sense and he's prob'ly burnt too many bridges to get that fight by then. He's really in a pickle and hoping Fedor doesn't screw up and lose this June.

Post #24   4/13/08 8:06:56PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Well I think this is rediculous, Nog just submitted a guy in three that Randy coulden't finish, and by Randy's logic Fedor shoulden't want to fight Randy he should be going after a fight against Chuck, or Barnett, or Ricco, all of whom smashed Randy. Poor choice of words Mr. Couture. I think for Randy to win he would have to put Nog on his back and avoid subs for 5 full rounds, which I don't think he could do.

That's really well put Couture is using MMath. Never really thought of it that way why should Fedor wanna lose his legacy against couture either. it makes no sense for him to fight a 17-8 fighter. I also don't think couture could control Nog for 5 rounds without being submitted. With a record like Couture's he should be happy to have a chance to prove he's the #2 heavyweight

Post #25   4/13/08 8:39:02PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
randy doesnt make sense. IMO this has been enormously disrespectful to Nog from the beginning. im really starting dislike "captain america"

Post #26   4/13/08 9:13:13PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,456-1,139
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
It's all publicity for Randy. He knows he can't beat Nog or Fedor, but he gets lots of atention claiming ne is too good for Nog and only wants Fedor. Maybe this is his way of selling more shirts.

It is kinda of funny that most people are changing their opinion of Randy now that it appears he is completely ducking fights.

Post #27   4/13/08 10:19:12PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
this is really getting old on randys part. how many fights does he have left on his contract? why not just fight nog? IF he could actually finish him, which fedor didnt do then he could have at least that to use as leverage for a fight against fedor. randy is acting like a high talent football player that is sitting on his couch like a crybaby saying if i dont get what i want right now im not gonna play with you guys anymore.

Post #28   4/13/08 11:17:11PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i really am losing respect for randy,
i actually hope he loses so he has two fights left on contract, fight big nog and then fedor.

Post #29   4/14/08 12:02:27AM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Mehh this is gettting old but I do agree in part with Couture....the whole ditching out on the contract is shit but the logic behind it is somewhat there. I disagree with everyone though, its not likely that Nog would submit Couture quite as easily as everyone thinks he will. Randy isnt known for his submissions but the guy is an insane wrestler I have full faith in the fact that this is enough to avoid a submission. I guess I am just a ignorant MMA fan but I havent seen shit from Nog that really impresses me. Maybe I should bust out some old PRIDE tapes and it might change my opinion but catching Sylvia in a submittion isnt that great of an accomplishment. I think Randy would walk through Nog and would have an excellent shot against Fedor. I would actually pick him to win it. But who cares really because it looks like its going to be a war of words for a long time. I guess we will wait and see if it makes it to a cage or not.

Post #30   4/14/08 1:13:12AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3