Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake O'Brien dropped from UFC, ready to sign with PFC

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Jake O'Brien (10-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), a 23-year-old heavyweight who suffered his first professional loss to Andrei Arlovski in March, has been released from the UFC and has agreed to a two-fight deal with the Palace Fighting Championship.

According to Pavia, O'Brien had recently signed a new contract with the UFC and had two fights remaining on the deal.

"Yes, you could say we were surprised by the UFC's decision," Pavia said

"Jake really wanted that fight at UFC 82," Pavia said. "However, had we known that his tenure with the organization was at risk when we were presented with the Arlovski fight, we may have approached it differently."

LINK

Post #1   4/12/08 10:37:47PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Another heavyweight down. Never really liked jake but man, the ufc aint going to have the numbers to maintain a HW division soon if they keep up at this rate.

Post #2   4/12/08 10:52:07PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
oh they will turn the HW's around sometime soon. like they have done with the MW's.

But seriously i dont jake could do good anymore against any top contenders because of that neck injury.

but yes UFC needs to sign some free agents and fresh talent. but i guess first they have to get rid of the old.

Post #3   4/12/08 11:00:43PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
It's a shame...he was good young talent, he just got put in front of a buzz saw. Who cares if he was boring to watch, he has a lot of potential.

Post #4   4/13/08 12:14:38AM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:984-643
Chips:
damn lost an Irish fighter ! at least there is still Marcus Davis !

Post #5   4/13/08 12:24:08AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
Yes, Jake was boring as hell. But he was also very good.

I don't like him, but I don't think the UFC was fair to him either.

He defeats Heath Heering, thereby playing UFC spoiler. This alone makes the UFC hate the man, because he made all their marketing for Heath useless. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, but Jake beats him in a boring fight, ruining their main event, and giving the UFC a bad view in the eyes of casual fans. But once again this wouldn't be much of a problem because the UFC can market him as a threat. Then before the UFC can find some sort of Market for O'brien's talent, he goes out with a year long njury. This makes the whole situation pointless, and the entire experience hurts the UFC in everyway possible.

-Marketing was for nothing.
-Heath is signed to an overeflated worthless contract (75 grand to show)
-The UFC Fight Night's Main Event leaves a bad taste with casual fans.
-O'brein leaves with a year long injury, leaving the UFC with no way to capitalize on the upset.

So then we have Andre Arvloski. A once great champion, and still a key draw, who wants out of the UFC. Zuffa does not want to showcase Arvloski, nor do they want other companies to capitalize on his drawing power. But wait, Zuffa has the perfect plan. Jake O'brein is healthy, less resign him. Nobody remembers him, we can stick him on the undercard with Arvloski. And furthermore, Jake can beat him and we send Andre out into the market with a loss...Andre defeats O'brein in the most boringest fight ever seen by human eyes...all made boring by O'brein and O'brein only.

-Andre leaves with a win
-Zuffa comes off as assholes, with the comentating
-Nobody cares about O'brein at all, he put on the most boring match ever...and lost

So UFC fires him.

But what people fail to realize is that, O'brein did defeat Heath Heering, was 10-0 up until that Arvloski fight, and like his method or not was decisivly beating Arvloski up until the point in which he lost. Not to mention he took the damn fight in the first place.

O'brien does not deserve to be let go.

Post #6   4/13/08 2:47:55AM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
O'Brian was a textbook one dimentional fighter. I would've fired the guy after that Arlovski too. He has one technique...Take Down and lay there. I mean the guy doesn't even have good ground and pound...he needs to start getting some better training fight on some second rate show and come back stronger if he's serious about mma. The UFC heavyweight division is just fine too. Cain Valasquez and Lesnar are the future of the division and will become house hold names by the end of the year.

Post #7   4/13/08 3:44:44AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't know what the ufc is thinking, he had a win record, might be boring but he was young, the ufc should have been patient. i have no idea why the ufc is dropping heavyweights unless they have a master plan behind it all. or by the end of the year they go on a shopping spree and grab new guys left and right

Post #8   4/13/08 12:02:00PM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
I cant belive this , a win over Heath Herring, his first ever loss was to Arlovski, Obrien is 23 years old Man if there gonna give Brad Morris and Cain Velasquez and Christian Wellicsh fights then holy crap

Post #9   4/13/08 12:57:11PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by gartface

It's a shame...he was good young talent, he just got put in front of a buzz saw. Who cares if he was boring to watch, he has a lot of potential.

who cares if he was boring to watch??........the fans that are planning on watching the event thats who, if you know its gonna be boring whats the point on watching???..........The hardcore fans might watch, buts thats a very small portion of the audince, the UFC needs exciting fighter that win or loose the fans would want to see, a Phil Baroni kind of fighter............i agree that jake has alot of potential, but he needs to develop it before coming into the UFC./

Last edited 4/13/08 3:36PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/13/08 3:35:19PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O
Andre defeats O'brein in the most boringest fight ever seen by human eyes...all made boring by O'brein and O'brein only.

Really? Theirs no way possible you can blame a boring fight on just one fighter in MMA. IT'S MMA NOT BOXING!!! If you do get layed on, it's your job as an MMA fighter to use your ground skills to get back to your feet or submit the guy. It's not the ref's job to stand fights up. They just do that to piss actual hardcore fans off like me for just giving fighters with no ground game an excuse to just hold on and get the fight stood up. If Arlosvki wasn't so damn scared, he would have made it exciting. He was doing all the backing up. The AA before the 2nd Tim fight would have had him out in no more then two...MINUTES!!!

If you want a back and forth stand up only war, go watch boxing/kickboing. You want a grappling clinic? Go to your nearest grappler's quest/NAGA tournament. It's MMA. Your suppose to have all the skills to fight since it's MIXED MARTIAL ARTS! Every fighting style is included.

And I'm sick of people calling the Herring fight boring. That was one of the best displays of ground and pound I have ever seen! He kept him on his back and was delivering punishment. Did half of you even see the fight? He was not laying on Herring, he was punching him the whole time. Sorry he didn't pound him out, not his problem, give Herring credit for being tough. Why are people saying he only lays on people? He's finished more fights then he has gone the distance. And most were in the 1st. Yeah they were against no names but I'm pretty sure they all didn't have weak chins

A bad move by the UFC. He just needs to switch camps. Because like Hughes, Ortiz is a HORRIBLE trainer if your already a great wrestler because he teaches you nothing else that you don't already know. Speer and Jake should go to ATT and touch up that striking along side other great wrestlers like Kos and Fitch!

Post #11   4/14/08 4:05:35AM