Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ricco Rodriguez makes bold claim

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
During this past Friday's episode of "Inside MMA," hosts Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten weighed in on the MMAjunkie.com Poll of the Week.

Last week's poll focused on the use of elbows, knees to the head of a downed opponent, and soccer kicks in MMA competition. Among the three choices, MMAjunkie.com readers (who were allowed to vote for more than one choice) gave elbows the biggest endorsement (83%), followed by knees (63%) and soccer kicks (35%).

The results sparked a lively debate between Rutten and panelist Ricco Rodriguez.

"I'll take the elbows out; add the knees and the soccer kicks," said Rutten. "I'm all for that."

Rodriguez then made a bold proclamation: had he been able to use elbow strikes during his August 2003 PRIDE fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, he would have won.

LINK

I just don't like Ricco Rodriguez. Straight up.

Post #1   4/10/08 4:08:58PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
KO nog with elbows?

Im 100% with bas on this

Post #2   4/10/08 4:15:26PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
Didn't Ricco get screwed over with that decision anyway?

Post #3   4/10/08 4:24:48PM   

ultimateweapon

MMA Regular

ultimateweapon Avatar

Career:330-191
Chips:
I don't know for sure

Post #4   4/10/08 4:51:22PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by tberg420

Yea IMO he did, had there been elbows i think he would have won too. IMO when ricco was in his prime he could give alot of trouble.

Post #5   4/10/08 4:59:51PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by tberg420

Ya... Nog's one of my favorite fighters... But he didn't win that contest, it'll go down as one of the worst decisions in MMA

Post #6   4/10/08 5:15:05PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
I agree with pookie... Nog isn't getting KO'd by any elbow. If a flying Fedor fist wont do it, then an elbow certainly wont. Rodriguez = Fat

Last edited 4/11/08 4:16PM server time by gsquat
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   4/10/08 5:35:44PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I thought Ricco won the fight without the elbows. It was a bad decision to me, too. It's kind of sad how badly drugs have deteriorated Ricco's skills, you can still see some flashes of the old Ricco in some of his bouts now but that's about it.

I'm with Bas... the Pride rules were perfect, the only reason for no elbows is because they didn't want to stop fights off cuts. I really miss knees on the ground, soccer kicks, and the stomps.

I say include them all.

Post #8   4/10/08 5:54:21PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
yes ricco was scary.. only comment

Post #9   4/10/08 7:23:31PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

I agree with pookie... Nog isn't getting KO'd by any elbow. If a flying Fedor fist wont do it, then an elbow certainly wont. Rodriquez = Fat

Really shows your Knowledge

Post #10   4/10/08 7:33:54PM   

JuggaloWarrior878

Juggalo 4 Life

JuggaloWarrior878 Avatar

Career:2,475-1,428
Camp: Hatchet House
Chips:
he could of tko'ed him due to cuts but not knock him out he was all over him in that fight

Post #11   4/10/08 9:25:12PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i think he would have won with elbows and lik some have said i think he won in the first place anyway. some of the newer fans to MMA might not remember RR in his prime, that guy was a fit monster. he had great JJ and was a threat to anyone. it is a shame that he let it go to waste and turned to drugs, he could have been dominant for a little while longer. and for the record, i think he would beat Kimbo even at this point and a loss to Bigfoot isn't anything to be disappointed about...a SD nonetheless. he won't be beating Nog now but i would have to honestly say he wins that fight hands down with elbows, not by KO, but definitely a clearer decision.

Post #12   4/10/08 10:06:23PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i think he would have won with elbows and lik some have said i think he won in the first place anyway. some of the newer fans to MMA might not remember RR in his prime, that guy was a fit monster. he had great JJ and was a threat to anyone. it is a shame that he let it go to waste and turned to drugs, he could have been dominant for a little while longer. and for the record, i think he would beat Kimbo even at this point and a loss to Bigfoot isn't anything to be disappointed about...a SD nonetheless. he won't be beating Nog now but i would have to honestly say he wins that fight hands down with elbows, not by KO, but definitely a clearer decision.

You're 16 right? So, aren't you still fairly new to the MMA scene? This isn't intended to be a shot at you, I am just curious....

Post #13   4/10/08 11:03:42PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by wolfman

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

You're 16 right? So, aren't you still fairly new to the MMA scene? This isn't intended to be a shot at you, I am just curious....

yes, i am 16 but i have been a fan of MMA for a while. this was from the "how long have you been a fan of MMA" thread:

my fanaticism began with PRIDE 13 in 2001. i was only 10 years old and i had no idea who any of the fighters were except renzo gracie. my dad made me watch it (thank god he did) because i was studying JJ at the time and he wanted to show me what professional martial artists looked like. i remember watching vitor secure a beautiful rear naked choke on a black guy, i think it was bobby southworth now that i start to think about it. also remember hendo beating renzo gracie because i was rooting for renzo based on the fact that he did JJ, but i was to be disappointed as henderson KOed him pretty fast.

from then on i started to watch MMA as much as i could and developed a passion for the sport by age 13. now i am 16 and live and breathe MMA.

Ricco and Big Nog fought at PRIDE - Total Elimination 2003 when i was 12. i watched that event with my dad and i remember that fight. i also re-watched 2 times since then, the last time being right before the Tim Sylvia/Big Nog fight. so i think i have been a fan of MMA for long enough to be considered not fairly new although i was not able to watch it since the beginning due to the age factor.

Post #14   4/10/08 11:45:16PM   

JDP_6375

Learning to Sprawl

JDP_6375 Avatar

Career:1,066-693
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Ricco is an old, out of shape, has been who is clinging onto a BS victory years ago when Randy got cut.. He could have beat Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira bloody with a bat & still lost. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has taken some serious beatings and still wins the fight. Bas Rutten should have slapped the taste out his mouth. I agree with you Jackelope. Ricco is a joke.

Post #15   4/10/08 11:54:25PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3