Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Pound for Pound rankings

Print  
  Page 3 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Career:61-50
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
In assembling a P4P list we need to take these fighters out of the "real world" and place them into a fantasy land where everyone is the same height and weight.
Here no fighter has a size advantage and the man with the "best" skill-set should reign supreme.
But it is still complicated.
If I create a 6'2 205 lb Kid Yamamoto, for arguments sake, is he still as explosive and lighting quick as the 5'4 145 lb fighter.
If I create a 5'6 155 lb Fedor, does he still posses the flask KO power in his lead left.
Where exactly is this "imaginary playing field" in which we can properly judge.

Post #31   1/19/07 2:33:43PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It's cool Punisher , I was arguing with my roomate yeserday and I was sure Jason lambert subbed Terry Martin in the 1rst. We watched UFC 59 just to prove it, and I was wrong. I was shocked when Wandy weighed in myself, The announcers made a big deal about it. I didn't know till I watched it the 2nd time after all the people had left my house,and I could hear . Mirko's actually a pretty small HVY so it was only something like 227 to 224.

Last edited 1/19/07 2:37PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #32   1/19/07 2:36:44PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:
I think Wanderlei would have better luck at his normal fighting weight.

Post #33   1/19/07 2:41:52PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

I agree, a guy should only move up in weight when he's exhausted all possible fights at his weight in his org. I blame the match makers . Shogun can't fight him beause tthey are on the same team, but Lil Nog deserves a shot. Throw in a Wandy/Arona 3, and Wandy/Vitor 2 for starters.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #34   1/19/07 3:00:42PM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Career:781-433
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker
I agree, a guy should only move up in weight when he's exhausted all possible fights at his weight in his org. I blame the match makers . Shogun can't fight him beause tthey are on the same team, but Lil Nog deserves a shot. Throw in a Wandy/Arona 3, and Wandy/Vitor 2 for starters.

well u cant really blame the matchmakers on this one b/c it was an open weight grand prix -- its the nature of the beast. but those fights you suggested would sure be fun to watch, especially lil nog vs. wandy.

Post #35   1/19/07 3:10:34PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

let me rephrase: I think Wanderlei would have had a better chance defeating Mirko if he had not bulked up for that fight. The heavier Wanderlei lacked the explosiveness we're used to seeing.

Post #36   1/19/07 3:22:39PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
It's possible Wandy has a better shot at his normal size, I just think any good technical striker will beat him because he's so wild and overagressive.I think in a worlwide MMA open weight Grand Prix Cro-cop is stll the #2 . I think Wandy falls around #25. Look at all the big heavyweights alone that should beat him.

The Iron Code

Post #37   1/19/07 3:26:56PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

It's possible Wandy has a better shot at his normal size, I just think any good technical striker will beat him because he's so wild and overagressive.I think in a worlwide MMA open weight Grand Prix Cro-cop is stll the #2 . I think Wandy falls around #25. Look at all the big heavyweights alone that should beat him.

Your 100% right.
Because he tends punch wildy and becomes over aggressive, Dan may be able to land a good overhand right when they battle.

Post #38   1/19/07 3:31:10PM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

maybe wandy didnt hold his own against crocop, but he definitley held his own against mark hunt (who is considered one of the top HWs, not by me, but by many). i personally think wandy shouldve won that fight. i thought it was evenly matched, and wandy shouldve got the nod b/c of the weight differential.

Post #39   1/19/07 3:32:25PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by punisherind

Posted by hippysmacker

maybe wandy didnt hold his own against crocop, but he definitley held his own against mark hunt (who is considered one of the top HWs, not by me, but by many). i personally think wandy shouldve won that fight. i thought it was evenly matched, and wandy shouldve got the nod b/c of the weight differential.

Wandy also Raped Fujita.

Post #40   1/19/07 3:52:17PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
That's true , he did Woop fujita. The A. Silva /Leben and Wandy/Fyjita knockouts both happened very close to eachother. It showed anybody can get knocked out(no matter how tough their chin or Head ) from repeated undefended blows. However, I don't think anyone would would make a case for Fujita as a Top 25 World open weight Grand Prix competitor

The Iron Code

Post #41   1/19/07 4:04:06PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
No, but due to the fact Wandy moved up in weight to face such a tough competitor it adds to the value of the win for Silva in terms of Silvas own P4P status.

Post #42   1/19/07 4:25:56PM   

Savy

MMA Regular

Savy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nate22

No, but due to the fact Wandy moved up in weight to face such a tough competitor it adds to the value of the win for Silva in terms of Silvas own P4P status.

Great point.

Post #43   1/19/07 4:28:06PM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Chips:
hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone for their input... lets keep it going too, this is making my day at work go by a lot faster. lol.

but i also wanted to let everyone know of a new thread i started for the greatest of all time (g.o.a.t.) rankings. id like to read what you guys have to say about it.

check it out:
http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic.aspx?&P=1&ID=221&Highlight=#P1412

Post #44   1/19/07 4:33:26PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
my greatest pound 4 pound list would go like this:

1)Jorge Gurgel

2)Danni Abbadi

3)Koji Oishi