Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Eddie Alvarez vs. Joachim ‘Hellboy’ Hansen DREAM fight set for May 11

Print  
Posted By Message

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
About three weeks ago, EliteXC lent out its up and coming lightweight star, Eddie Alvarez, to the Japanese promotion DREAM so he could compete in a 16-man lightweight grand prix tournament.

EliteXC allows most of their fighters to compete outside their organization, probably because more exposure can’t be a bad thing for any fighter. So Eddie was shipped overseas to represent the promotion in a tournament that they knew a lot of people would be watching … or at least paying attention to.

Alvarez did not disappoint, stopping Andre “Dida” Amade in the first round with strikes. The fight was not only impressive for Eddie because of the level of competition, but he was fighting a long way from home, really on the big stage for the first time in his career, and he dominated.

That left five possible candidates for a round two opponent: Tatsuya Kawajiri, Joachim Hansen, Katsuhiko Nagata, Luiz Firmino or Mitsuhiro Ishida. All very good fighters and any one of which would provide a solid fight and test for Alvarez.

It was recently announced it would be “Hellboy” Hansen and the fight would take place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on May 11.

Source

Post #1   4/9/08 10:46:15PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i gotta go w/ Alvarez TKO

Post #2   4/9/08 10:50:08PM   

WhiteWidow

Banned

Career:86-49
Chips:
i like eddie but im going with hellboy by sub or UD / SD

Post #3   4/9/08 11:38:32PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by WhiteWidow

not seeing hellboy get a sub, alvarez has really good wrestling and his JJ is good enough to avoid bad positions so i think he will win either a UD or 1st KO.

Post #4   4/9/08 11:43:29PM   

WhiteWidow

Banned

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by WhiteWidow

not seeing hellboy get a sub, alvarez has really good wrestling and his JJ is good enough to avoid bad positions so i think he will win either a UD or 1st KO.

anyone who can nulify gomi is more dangerous in my book but who knows, alvarez has KO power in both hands, hellboys chin is monsterous tho so if eddie wins i see it as a UD, i think you might be underestimating hansen's skills, hes sub'd pretty good opposition

heres a question for you a big davis fan, since davis has only been KO'd once in boxing....who would you pick in these fights, Davis Vs Alvarez, Davis Vs Gomi or even Alvarez Vs Gomi

Post #5   4/9/08 11:56:01PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
i cannot express in words how awesome i think it is of EliteXC to allow themselves to be represented in the tournament. I really wish the ufc would do the same with sherk, BJ, or heck even Kenny Florian. IMO the Grand Prix should be the ultimate MMA competition, because u dont have to worry about rankings... its all in a bracket, just simple single elimination. It would be awesome if Dream was the host and there was one represenative from EliteXC, UFC, and Cage Rage or WVR.

Post #6   4/10/08 12:17:37AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Gotta take Hellboy in this.

Post #7   4/10/08 12:22:45AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
this has FOTY written all over it.. both are well versed in stand up, and on the ground.

i'm expecting for alvarez to be the stronger puncher, but hansen to be more technical. on the ground i think hansen has a good chance of subbing alvarez, not taking anything away from alvarez's wrestling but hansen has really nice transitions.

Post #8   4/10/08 12:42:34AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Once I saw Alvarez on the DREAM 1 card, I knew he was going to win the tourney. Alvarez via UD

Post #9   4/10/08 12:43:22AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Once I saw Alvarez on the DREAM 1 card, I knew he was going to win the tourney. Alvarez via UD

I dont know about winning the tourney, but I think Alvarez will beat Hell Boy by UD

Post #10   4/10/08 2:15:35AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by WhiteWidow

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by WhiteWidow

anyone who can nulify gomi is more dangerous in my book but who knows, alvarez has KO power in both hands, hellboys chin is monsterous tho so if eddie wins i see it as a UD, i think you might be underestimating hansen's skills, hes sub'd pretty good opposition

heres a question for you a big davis fan, since davis has only been KO'd once in boxing....who would you pick in these fights, Davis Vs Alvarez, Davis Vs Gomi or even Alvarez Vs Gomi

well those are good questions. although the fighters you named are LWs, i think i can still answer the question. Davis is bigger and more powerful than all 3 of the fighters you named. I would see Davis beating Gomi, Gomi likes to bang and Davis has more technical and more powerful strikes than Gomi. however it would be difficult to say whether he would be able to defeat Alvarez or Hellboy because the size advantage is a definite factor and i would have to give it more thought. i would like to see how Alvarez does against Hellboy first before i start including him in fantasy match ups but so far so good from what i have seen. i know full well Hellboy is capable of the sub, i just don't see it happening...but hey i have been wrong before.

Post #11   4/10/08 3:19:23PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anybody who trains at ATT is more than ready to deal with the submission skills of hansen.

...I think Gomi would Ko Davis personally.

Post #12   4/10/08 3:22:08PM   

WhiteWidow

Banned

Chips:
i think Gomi could fight at WW he'd just be a lighter WW probably around 160-165 or so, Alvarez dropped down to LW to be in this tourny who knows if he stays there or not i think hes better at 155, i'm still interested in a fight between Gomi and Alvarez, and even the finals of this LW grand prix (JZ and winner of this fight)

Post #13   4/10/08 6:50:26PM