Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fighters at home

Print  
Does fighting at home make a difference?
Yes- In a positive way 13 72%
No difference 5 28%
Yes - IN a negative way 0 0%
Posted By Message

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
With the UFC comming to Canada I just want to know how much I can expect from the Canadian fighters many are underdogs but could the home crowd give them the edge??? Or will it be a detriment that causes them to gas after an explosive first round???

I just want to know if the fact these guys are at home alters your picks at all or does skill and past record overrule any home "ice" advantage???

Post #1   4/9/08 2:49:13PM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
It could either help you or hurt you. Some guys cant take the pressure of fighting in front of their friends and family, and some guys thrive on that kind of pressure.

Post #2   4/9/08 2:58:18PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
what if the guy fighting at home is fighting a guy who loves being the underdog & loves being rooted against?

no difference IMO. im sure it helps some, hurts others, but pretty sure there's no difference overall

Post #3   4/9/08 4:00:32PM   

Evilwig

MMA Regular

Evilwig Avatar

Career:847-550
Chips:
I think it could intimidate a opponent who already has a lack of confidence or he's in doubt before the fight.
But I don't think it is a decisive factor for the already popular fighter like GSP because the crowd reaction will be likely to the one he recive, let's say in vegas...

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete! - Spider Jerusalem

Post #4   4/9/08 4:08:15PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
I voted yes it does make a difference, but it always depends on the fighter. Fighting in your home town/country when you usually don't, you'll most likely have to do a lot more interviews, more media coverage, etc., and that could be a bad thing.

On the other hand, I'm sure some people love the attention, love fighting in front of their friends and family.

But when it comes down to it, a fight is a fight, anything can happen.

Post #5   4/9/08 4:35:16PM