Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Thiago Alves Gets Title Shot After Fitch

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,783-1,265
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
After earning his fifth straight victory in the UFC's welterweight division, American Top Team's Thiago "Pitbull" Alves (14-3 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is now directly behind No. 1 contender Jon Fitch (17-2 MMA, 8-0 UFC) for a shot at the title.

Alves was informed of his positioning by UFC matchmaker Joe Silva immediately following the 24-year-old Brazilian's TKO victory over Karo Parisyan (18-5 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at Ultimate Fight Night 13.

Alves discussed his possible title contention, as well as the hotly debated ending of the Parisyan bout, while a guest on Monay's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"Right now I heard I'm right behind Jon Fitch," Alves said. "That's what Joe Silva told me."

LINKAGE to the rest of the story.

Good to see two deserving contenders at last. They both could actually stand a chance of winning too.

Post #1   4/9/08 12:11:17PM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Props Thiago.

Hopefully we see Fitch v. Alves. That would be INSANE!

Post #2   4/9/08 12:14:33PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
WOW thats a completly retarded interpreatation of those comments

Joe Silva told him he is after Fitch .................... NOT that he gets a title shot after Fitch! FFS all this stuff is so repetative and dumb!

Thiago will likely have to fight another 2 times before a title shot is ready for the taking

Fitch VS Serra/GSP will happen around August/September

Thiago should fight Gono in the meantime, I WANTS TO SEES THATS

oh and babytaer they already fought when they both 1st came into the UFC, Fitch won by last 1st round GnP, the video is notoriously hard to find tho, dont think its in the video section

Last edited 4/9/08 12:25PM server time by CornishMMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/9/08 12:24:33PM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
yea i remembered that after i hit "Post".

Would still be a great rematch now that both have many more fights under their belt.

Post #4   4/9/08 12:36:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by CornishMMA

oh and babytaer they already fought when they both 1st came into the UFC, Fitch won by last 1st round GnP, the video is notoriously hard to find tho, dont think its in the video section

Video

Post #5   4/9/08 12:42:14PM   

Cladrix

Standup Guy

Cladrix Avatar

Career:538-332
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Video

FYI the video is not the full match.............

but a rematch between both of these guys would be a war

Post #6   4/9/08 12:49:13PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Cladrix

Posted by grappler0000

Video

Righty you are...hmm...believe it gets stopped in the 2nd if I remember correctly.

Post #7   4/9/08 12:53:39PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Its nice to see this, but thiago saying he wants to fight, but is the UFC/Joe Silva going to try and do what they did to Fitch. Give him an unknown guy(like chris wilson) hoping that fitch wins just to keep him active while he waits to fight for the title.

See i dont know if Thiago should fight another contender before he gets a title shot, and possibly lose the title shot. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Post #8   4/9/08 1:11:53PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
too bad we cant just cut through the BS & have fitch vs alves now & winner get gsp/serra.

wont thiago have to sit out nearly 6 months by the time he gets the title shot?

Post #9   4/9/08 1:44:42PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Cladrix

Posted by grappler0000

Video

Righty you are...hmm...believe it gets stopped in the 2nd if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I have found the video several times and every one of the videos is only the first round of the fight unfortunately. It was a 2nd rd. TKO victory for Fitch.

Post #10   4/9/08 2:04:00PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Right now I think its irrelevant because either would get steam rollered by GSP.

Serra is GSP's toughest task in the division right now due to the psycological edge Serra has from the KO. But if GSP gets passed Serra (and I think he will) the rest is academic.

Post #11   4/9/08 2:53:23PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
Why do people think that top contenders (Karo,Alves,Fitch) should be protected? I hate when the attitude of fighters is 'I'd rather wait for my shot then risk losing it'. I say if you aren't willing to fight anyone any time then you don't deserve a shot. As a champion that is what you have to do so in order to become the champion that is what everyone should do. No more being choosey or counting on what Joe or Dana said. I think Alves needs to fight, like Cornish said, at least 2 more times before he gets that shot.

Post #12   4/9/08 3:10:52PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:

Posted by billycarnage

Why do people think that top contenders (Karo,Alves,Fitch) should be protected? I hate when the attitude of fighters is 'I'd rather wait for my shot then risk losing it'. I say if you aren't willing to fight anyone any time then you don't deserve a shot. As a champion that is what you have to do so in order to become the champion that is what everyone should do. No more being choosey or counting on what Joe or Dana said. I think Alves needs to fight, like Cornish said, at least 2 more times before he gets that shot. [/QUOTE

I agree you canbe told your #2 but don't get complacent. Fighting is a sport like any other and you earn your spot in any league by winning. The only other fight I want to see Thiago in before he has "earned" his title shot would be a war with Marcus Davis.

Post #13   4/9/08 3:30:02PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
This is good news, is about intrepretation as Cornish pointed but having Silva considering him to be at thet level already is still good news. The only thing that concerns me is who will he fight next. As mentioned Fitch vs Serra/GSP would be later this year and then there will be a big time gap for Thiago to get another fight but I don't see anyone in the division "ready" to get that fight. Kos? Davis? Sanchez? They all have scheduled fight so is not a sure thing that they would win and besides if Diego and Kos win respectively they should have a rematch and for Davis, even though I want to see him as the champion ASAP I don't see him getting a fight against top title contenders yet until he fight someone in between. Maybe a former contender coming form a loss like Karo (make it happens so he can have 2 ko L in a row) or GSP(if he loses; and assuming that Serra would get the fight with Hughes if he is the loser). As for Gono, I'm not sure but if Alves is so high from Joe's point of view Gono should get another win before getting there, I dont think Tamdan is enough.

Edit:
I notice the post from billycarnage now about protecting contenders. I always look at the contenders match-ups situations from a bottom-up perspective. What I mean, I look it from the opponent stand. If they are already up there making them fight against lower fighters is lame (IMO) b/c if the "lower" fighter wins this may create overhype and alter the ego of himself. Is not that I like to protect contenders but I dislike when people get "shorcut" fights in stacked divisions.

Last edited 4/9/08 3:41PM server time by Ordep
2 total post edits

Post #14   4/9/08 3:34:31PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
The UFC should do this:

give Fitch the winner of Serra-St. Pierre

give Alves the winner of Davis-Swick

the winner of Serra/St. Pierre-Fitch will fight the winner of Alves/Davis-Swick

That should set up the welterweight title picture for awhile.

*if Diego beats Fioravanti, the Fall would be perfect for the long-awaited and anticipated rematch between Sanchez and Parisyan*

Last edited 4/9/08 4:08PM server time by coldchillin

Post #15   4/9/08 4:06:33PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2