Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sorting Out the UFC Lightweights

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As Kenny Florian showered Joe Lauzon with punches from the mount at UFC Fight Night, the final pieces of a very muddled lightweight picture were undoubtedly being shuffled for the umpteenth time in the mind of UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.

With Sean Sherk set to challenge champion B.J. Penn for his former title May 24, Silva will have some time to sort things out after watching four of his most promising 155-pounders secure victories last Wednesday in Colorado.

"The lightweight class is stacked," said Florian, highlighting Silva's propitious dilemma. "Look at all the guys who won [Wednesday] night and some of the guys who lost. They are all tough."

Link

Post #1   4/9/08 6:52:47AM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
It would be great if UFC did a lightweight GP to help sort out all these contenders.

Post #2   4/9/08 1:14:24PM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

It would be great if UFC did a lightweight GP to help sort out all these contenders.

I would love to see a light weight tournament. I think the UFC has to consider giving Nate Diaz a contender to fight, that last fight was pretty impressive. I did not like him at first, but that celebration before he even finished the fight was some of the coolest stuff I have seen.

Post #3   4/9/08 1:36:22PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by chubbud22

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

I would love to see a light weight tournament. I think the UFC has to consider giving Nate Diaz a contender to fight, that last fight was pretty impressive. I did not like him at first, but that celebration before he even finished the fight was some of the coolest stuff I have seen.

You've got to look at it from a marketing persepective though. The UFC loves all the suspense of potential match ups and they aren't going to put on a GP when they can take the long way and stretch it out over months. GP = good for fans but bad idea for the UFC. Think about it, if everything in the LW division is sorted out, what would we have to debate?

Post #4   4/9/08 2:58:29PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I agree with having Kenny Florian fight Roger Huerta at 87 and the winner of that fight getting to fight the Penn-Sherk winner.

Post #5   4/9/08 5:23:05PM