Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anthony Johnson vs. Tommy Speer

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Assassins_Creed

Learning to Sprawl

Assassins_Creed Avatar

Career:590-480
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
Well all this talk about race and ethnicity. Truthfully speaking we might have a “black” person ( half african, half irish) running this country. So take all that in consideration. This comments on race and ethnicity is answers I gave to mmatko.com when this fight became about race. Search this same post on mmatko.com.
Now to comment on just anthony johnson.It should have been knockout of the night by far!! **** that weak ass James Irvin shit!!! 8 seconds of Houston being rocked!! 8 seconds of tom speer being slept!! comparison. I’ve been reading comments on sherdog, here, mmaplayground, etc… Real talk main reason we are commentating is because this is one of the greatest knockouts in mma history. U look at the technique and the pure barbaric nature of the ko and that was a work of ******’ art. It was not only a prelim, but it opened the night. Im not one of these people jockin’ him (no homo) or hatin’ on cat just because he got subbed by rich clementi, but real talk this dude at the very least creates an excitement and real striker threat in an every-other-skill-set dominated division. You have everything in this division except a one punch knockout striker. GSP is the total package, but he is not going to dominate like an Anderson Silva or possible Rampage. With that said AJ and BJ have the only legit shot at taking GSP’s crown!! He also has to get past Matt Serra 1st. I’m pumped. I really don’t like any other welter beside when BJ is at 170. So Rumble young man Rumble!!! Comments anyone??

Last edited 4/10/08 1:57AM server time by assassins_creed
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/8/08 3:53:57AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
About the KO thing, Irvin tied for the quickest KO in UFC history, Thats gotta be KO of the night!!
I dont know if I was the only one thinking this way, But Tommy spears is a Lay'n Pray fighter, His fights on TUF where all lackluster, And I expected his last fight to be the same aswell, But he got KTFO. All that happened there was he got exposed that he has no real talent other than wrestling, He looked horrible!! It was a sweet KO, But it didnt mean squat!

I got a feeling he will be cut from the UFC, And Houston too.

Post #2   4/8/08 4:05:17AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Don't forget about Marcus Davis, the only other welterweight with one punch KO power, but with the rest I agree!!!

Let's all forget about the Rich Clementi fight because A. It wasn't at 170, it was 165 or 155. B. Anthony took it on one or two weeks notice so he didn't have the proper time to cut weight so him gassing shouldn't have surprised anybody and also anybody can get submitted or KO'd when their gassed.

He's a serious threat at 170 to anybody. I definitely agree that was one of the most brutal KO's I have ever seen. He has the perfect style to rule 170. He's an athletic striker and a good wrestler. He could rule the division like Chuck except he actually has technique with his striking! 170 is all wrestlers/grapplers anyways so with that great sprawl on Tommy Speer not to mention that sick KO power. I fear for all the grapplers in the division with barely decent striking.

WAR JOHNSON!!!

Post #3   4/8/08 4:05:45AM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
Dude that Irvin knock out was definatly the ko of the night, it tied a record dude, and I don't completely understand what you are talking about with the race thing. Are you trying to say Irvin got more credit for his KO cause he is white if you are I totally disagree.

Post #4   4/8/08 4:19:21AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I liked johnson's knockout more than irvin's there wasnt a situation with it. Because Johnson really had tommy speer out.

But everyone should watch for this guy anthony johnson.

Post #5   4/8/08 7:46:45AM   

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
I agree I think the AJ knock out was the KO of the night because there was no controvercy. AJ will be a contender no doubt. I think he needs a few more fights and some more training but his size and athletic ability springboard him above a lot of other fighters.

Post #6   4/8/08 9:04:21AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:
I enjoyed the Johnson KO much more, but it is hard to not give KO of the night to a 8 second KO.

I have no idea what that "racist" comment in your post had to do with anything. Am I missing something here? Where did that come from?

BTW, not sure what irritates me more. Racists.
OR
People that complain about others being racists.

Post #7   4/8/08 9:07:05AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
its kansas bitches

Post #8   4/8/08 9:16:02AM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
This is crazy. The guy Knocked Out Tommy Speer!!!!!!!! not Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Diego, or Chris Lytle. He get's two quick knock outs, not to mention submitted by a true 155 pounder in Rich Clementi and people think he's a threat to GSP. Johnson's ground game is questionable and GSP would maul Johnson. GSP has more technical standup and a better all around game. Maybe in a couple years Johnson will be a threat but no time soon.

Post #9   4/8/08 10:21:24AM   

stock

Banned

Chips:

Posted by kevietre

This is crazy. The guy Knocked Out Tommy Speer!!!!!!!! not Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Diego, or Chris Lytle. He get's two quick knock outs, not to mention submitted by a true 155 pounder in Rich Clementi and people think he's a threat to GSP. Johnson's ground game is questionable and GSP would maul Johnson. GSP has more technical standup and a better all around game. Maybe in a couple years Johnson will be a threat but no time soon.

I agree. It is amazying how drastically people's opinions change from just 1 fight.
This is no different than me coming to work on Monday and everyone is all of a sudden comparing the Memphis Tigers to the fab 5.

Now don't get me wrong. I am very excited to see Johnson fight again, but I would not even think of mentioning him in the same breath as GSP.

Post #10   4/8/08 10:43:33AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by stock

I agree. It is amazying how drastically people's opinions change from just 1 fight.

It's also fairly predictable, but I really don't see anything wrong with it. If people want to get excited about Brandon Vera, Sokoudjou, Houston Alexander, Anthony Johnson, or anybody else after a couple of exciting wins, I say "sure, why not?" It's a spectator sport, right? They're fun to watch, and I'll make more money when (the next) Brandon Vera is getting favorites odds against (the next) Tim Sylvia.

Post #11   4/8/08 11:10:34AM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I liked johnson's knockout more than irvin's there wasnt a situation with it. Because Johnson really had tommy speer out.

But everyone should watch for this guy anthony johnson.

This guy is still claiming Houston wasn't out.

Post #12   4/8/08 12:19:31PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Dude, Anthony Johnson does not fight at 155 pounds. He took that fight on 1 or 2 weeks noticed at a weight below his normal weight and didn't have the proper time to cut weight and the reason he lossed is because he gassed so quickly and everybody can get submitted when they are gassed. And him getting gassed is understandable since he didn't have enough time to make weight.

I have to disagree on the GSP stand up thing too. GSP hasn't beaten a great striker yet and Johnson looks like a great striker with his power and then long reach. He has GSP's reach but with one punch KO power. And GSP's chin is still suspect IMO since he has never been hit by a strong punch besides Serra and look what happened their. I think Anthony could put him out

Anthony Johnson is not no Houston Alexander, trust me. He is a good wrestler and Houston would have never sprawled out of a Tommy Speer takedown. Yeah it was just Tommy Speer but Tommy Speer is just as strong a wrestler as GSP, Fitch, Diego, Kos, Hughes with that freak farm boy strength and Anthony sprawled pretty nicely a few times, not just once.

Last edited 4/8/08 1:24PM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   4/8/08 1:22:00PM   

ocho-cinco

In Full Mount

ocho-cinco Avatar

Career:994-597
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
Anthony Johnson kinda reminds me of Melvin Guillard, you no except for being crazy and emotionally unstable. I think he has a real chance to be a star in the UFC if can develop really good takedown and submission defence. I didn't see the fight where he was sub'd by Clementi, but he is still a young fighter and getting sub'd by a guy like rich, while he is still learing could be helpfull in the long run. I hope Johnson gets a better test next fight, as I'm looking forward to seeing more of this guy.

Post #14   4/8/08 1:27:16PM   

stock

Banned

Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Anthony Johnson is not no Houston Alexander, trust me.

I agree.
lol

Post #15   4/8/08 3:17:27PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2