Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Art of War 1 (Rizzo vs. Eilers)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
Wholly owned, SUN Production Group, in association with International Fighters Association announced their premiere event for 2007 • "ART OF WAR", Undisputed Arena Fighting Championship. The 10-bout fight card is set for March 9, 2007, at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, and will be televised in high definition by Mark Cuban's Company HDNet.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu legend, Pedro "The Rock" Rizzo will take on American, Justin Eilers, in the Main Event. Both Rizzo and Eilers are veterans of the highly successful UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).

World famous "Voice of MMA" announcer, Bruce Buffer, will serve as the Event's Master of Ceremonies and Ring Announcer. Because of the event being at Dallas' American Airlines Center, home of the Dallas Mavericks (NBA) and Dallas Stars (NHL), a number of local dignitaries and sports celebrities are expected to be in attendance, as well.

Former UFC Champion, Guy Mezger, serves as an advisor and chief matchmaker for all SUN MMA events. Heading up event management and marketing will be Lester Bedford of The Bedford Agency. Bedford has marketed over 100 World Championship Boxing events over the past 20 years, including events televised on HBO, Showtime, NBC, ABC, CBS, ESPN, USA and other networks.

SUN Chairman & CEO CJ Comu, stated, "I am very pleased with the completion of this transaction and the future opportunities that are provided to us as a public company. As a former Chairman and CEO of a public company, this is a responsibility that requires a dedicated team that can manage the affairs of its business and develop market support of its stock". Comu added, "The Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) industry is the fastest growing Sports Entertainment business in the world. We hope to be a large player in this small but rapidly growing space and deliver high quality entertainment to the networks and fans around the world."

Im really pulling for Rizzo in this the guy is a legend and one of my favorites.

Post #1   2/21/07 5:57:38PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Why did they call Pedro Rizzo a BJJ legend, isn't he purely Ruas Vale Tudo and Muay Thai?

Either way, Rizzo hasnt been himself as of late and Eliers is underrated. Could be a war, but at the same time it could also be lackluster...

Post #2   2/21/07 6:00:02PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I dont' much get the Rizzo=BJJ part either... Probably just something that most casual fans assume of Brazilians...

I have to pull for Pedro though... He looked pretty aweful in Pride, but I won't count him out... Eilers is always a game opponent and likes to stand and bang, so it should be a good fight...

If Justin comes out aggresively and gives Rizzo the chance to land a solid counter... It could be good old Pedro all over again...

WAR RIZZO!!

Post #3   2/22/07 11:44:28AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Wow i see this as a chance for either to get back on the horse. Most likely Rizzo. I can just see him KOing Eilers every which way. I think his leg kicks will take there toll on Eilers and it will drop holding his leg like he did in his bout with Arlovski.

Rizzo by TKO in the 2nd.

Post #4   2/22/07 12:47:56PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
Rizzo has always been endearing. Sadly though, and I hate to say it, if he can't beat Eilers maybe it's time for him to hang em up. He's been a shell of his former self since attempting to make a comeback. Continuing to lose to lower level fighters will only hurt his legacy.

Last edited 2/23/07 1:15PM server time by OB_Juan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/22/07 1:35:43PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Wow i see this as a chance for either to get back on the horse. Most likely Rizzo. I can just see him KOing Eilers every which way. I think his leg kicks will take there toll on Eilers and it will drop holding his leg like he did in his bout with Arlovski.

Rizzo by TKO in the 2nd.

I too am hoping for a HL KO for Pedro... His leg kicks are nothing to laugh at... I remember Bas commentating at one of his Pride matching saying he'd never felt harder leg kicks than when training with Rizzo.

Sorry to nit-pick, bu Eilers dropped in the Arlovski fight because he tore something in his knee or something not because of AA's leg kicks.

Post #6   2/22/07 3:12:29PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by madmarck

Rizzo by TKO in the 2nd.

I too am hoping for a HL KO for Pedro... His leg kicks are nothing to laugh at... I remember Bas commentating at one of his Pride matching saying he'd never felt harder leg kicks than when training with Rizzo.

Sorry to nit-pick, bu Eilers dropped in the Arlovski fight because he tore something in his knee or something not because of AA's leg kicks.

Oh i know that. I think AA only hit him with one minor kick and it wasnt in the same area. I just meant he would drop in the same fashion. Anyone who watches Rizzo knows his leg kicks are no joke.
Just check out his match with Dan Severn. Rizzo nails him with a kick that sounds like a gunshot and it ends the match.

Post #7   2/22/07 3:26:26PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by madmarck

Rizzo by TKO in the 2nd.

Oh i know that. I think AA only hit him with one minor kick and it wasnt in the same area. I just meant he would drop in the same fashion. Anyone who watches Rizzo knows his leg kicks are no joke.
Just check out his match with Dan Severn. Rizzo nails him with a kick that sounds like a gunshot and it ends the match.

it's a shame how things panned out with Pedro, I don't think he's that old, so maybe seeing a second coming isn't too far fetched...

Poor Dan, I hope I'm never at the end of one of those kicks...

Post #8   2/22/07 4:15:32PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I think Eilers is a great match up for Rizzo. Rizzo being a counter fighter and Eilers being a aggressive fighter. It's perfect for him. His technical skills will beat Eilers brawling. Rizzo by leg kick, then kick to the head. haha

Post #9   2/22/07 10:27:19PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,967-1,114
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm gonna go with Rizzo with a KO reminiscent to the ones he dropped on Barnett and Arlovski.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/22/07 10:37:58PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I'm gonna go with Rizzo with a KO reminiscent to the ones he dropped on Barnett and Arlovski.

His AA one was outta nowhere with just the old 1-2 punch.

His Barnett one was aweomse. Everytime i wathc that match i love watchin Barnett charge in and I am thinking keep comin keep comin BAM! Rizzo Drills Him and then turns and KO's him by punching him in the side of the head! i love that fight it is one of my favourite.

Post #11   2/23/07 8:53:30AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
Barnett / Rizzo was an absolute war... Barney was really putting it to him, well I guess they were really putting it to eachother, and then that massive right hand looked like it was gonna knock him out of the cage...

Pedro's KO of Tank was another classic... One of my favs because his head snaps back and then he falls in the opposite direction... Man, Pedro was a hell of a striker...

Post #12   2/23/07 10:05:19AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Barnett / Rizzo was an absolute war... Barney was really putting it to him, well I guess they were really putting it to eachother, and then that massive right hand looked like it was gonna knock him out of the cage...

Pedro's KO of Tank was another classic... One of my favs because his head snaps back and then he falls in the opposite direction... Man, Pedro was a hell of a striker...

Was? Hopefully agasint Eilers he will prove the he stil IS a hell of a striker.

Someone plese bring back the old Pedro. and see if you can find Vitor and BJ too.

Post #13   2/23/07 12:51:10PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by madmarck

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Was? Hopefully agasint Eilers he will prove the he stil IS a hell of a striker.

Someone plese bring back the old Pedro. and see if you can find Vitor and BJ too.

I will gladly change that was to an is as soon as Pedro gives me a glimmer of a reason to... The last few times I saw him fight... Well, I was just sad...

And it really pissed me off that one of the Pride commentators was saying stuff like "the once feared striker from the UFC...", it seemed like a cheap shot. I think it was when he fought Sergei...

Post #14   2/23/07 12:55:16PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Chips:
Yeah. Pedro has got to get back on the train now. If he loses to Eilers then he should retire and start coaching. Its clear this is his retirement fight or his comeback fight. If Eilers beats him, or worse KO's him, Pedro will have lost so much face. I think Everyone is cheering for him. He has like the best old school KO's in the UFC.
Does he still train with Marco Ruas? Maybe he could go to the IFL after this fight. They do go way back afterall.

Post #15   2/23/07 1:09:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2