Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Karo,Karo Karo

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I agree with your first point, but the second one.... huh? I don't think Karo could ever drop to LW. With his build and height, I don't see it happening.

come on man, did you even see Alves?? He looked bone dry compared to Karo. Alves must walk around at 200+
Karo is not even chubby. Karo is plain fat at 170. If he can't drop to LW it's bad news for him because there's no way he can be a champ at 170. No way. He's just too small. Two years ago, maybe. Two years ago dudes like Fitch, or Sanchez, or Alves fought at 185. These days, people cut, cut, cut. As the level of fighters improves, everybody is forced to cut.

Post #31   4/3/08 12:36:00PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Rush

I agree with your first point, but the second one.... huh? I don't think Karo could ever drop to LW. With his build and height, I don't see it happening.

come on man, did you even see Alves?? He looked bone dry compared to Karo. Alves must walk around at 200+
Karo is not even chubby. Karo is plain fat at 170. If he can't drop to LW it's bad news for him because there's no way he can be a champ at 170. No way. He's just too small. Two years ago, maybe. Two years ago dudes like Fitch, or Sanchez, or Alves fought at 185. These days, people cut, cut, cut. As the level of fighters improves, everybody is forced to cut.

well said

Post #32   4/3/08 2:38:28PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel
It's funny when Rampage Jackson says things like "you mean I can get paid to beat up White people?" But if Forrest Griffin said the same thing about Black people, it wouldn't be.

I've gotta disagree. Although it is a matter of opinion, one is no different than the other. If you don't take Page's comments as racist (and I don't), then Forrest saying the same thing about black people wouldn't be racist either. It can't be both ways, there are no double standards... only double standards of what is deemed acceptable. I really don't see how the circumstances are any different for either of them. Neither were alive during the times of slavery, and neither were around when there was segragation. So there really is no different circumstances.

Post #33   4/3/08 2:53:37PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by AchillesHeel
It's funny when Rampage Jackson says things like "you mean I can get paid to beat up White people?" But if Forrest Griffin said the same thing about Black people, it wouldn't be.

I've gotta disagree. Although it is a matter of opinion, one is no different than the other. If you don't take Page's comments as racist (and I don't), then Forrest saying the same thing about black people wouldn't be racist either. It can't be both ways, there are no double standards... only double standards of what is deemed acceptable. I really don't see how the circumstances are any different for either of them. Neither were alive during the times of slavery, and neither were around when there was segragation. So there really is no different circumstances.

right because racial favoritism in the work force and the judicial system is not prominent still today. Same way with the police... and because forrest griffin was a cop it would make it even less racist, i agree

Post #34   4/3/08 2:57:44PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

ABC News, 23 September 2007: Backlash to Jena Racial Tensions?
International Herald Tribune, 10 October 2007: Rash of noose incidents reported across country in wake of Jena, La. case
New York Times, 19 October 2007: Few Answers About Nooses, but Much Talk of Jim Crow
Washington Post, 20 October 2007: In Jena and Beyond, Nooses Return as Symbol of Hate
FOX News.com, 22 October: NY Lawmakers Move on Anti-Noose Bill
New York Times, 31 March 2008: Grand Jury Investigating Noose at Colombia University
CBS 3, 1 April 2008: Discrimination Suit Filed After Noose Incident
inRich.com, 3 April 2008: Possible hate crime probed at UR

That's all from a cursory Google News search for the word "noose."

Post #35   4/3/08 3:27:42PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by TNunley

International Herald Tribune, 10 October 2007: Rash of noose incidents reported across country in wake of Jena, La. case
New York Times, 19 October 2007: Few Answers About Nooses, but Much Talk of Jim Crow
Washington Post, 20 October 2007: In Jena and Beyond, Nooses Return as Symbol of Hate
New York Times, 31 March 2008: Grand Jury Investigating Noose at Colombia University

Post #36   4/3/08 3:39:48PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by TNunley

So? Google Al Sharpton and find the links related to him promoting racism. It is not at all stereotypical to say that because their are white people that are racist that any white man must be a racist if he says something like that? Or that it's okay for a black man to make a comment like that because you hear about white racist bastards on the news more often? It isn't even worth arguing over, because there are always people who think that there is supposed to be a double standard. I have better things to deal with, but if you want to find a few more words to google, I'm sure I could find some that counter it.

Post #37   4/3/08 4:26:05PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Rush

During the broadcast it was said that Alves walks around at 190. There is a trade off for cutting weight and I think there comes a point were giving up 3-5 pounds is a better choice than cutting 3-5 extra pounds to try and have a small weight advantage over your opponent. Not only that, there is always a potential risk of not making weight, which is not a great thing either.

If you think cutting weight and dropping down is the key to a fighter's success in MMA, then I think you are short sighted. Having a size advantage only takes you so far before it will start to work against you.

Swick was considered a small MW and he did well at MW. Let's see how well he does at WW. My hunch is that he will not tear through the division as well as he did in MW. Joe Riggs is another big WW that didn't make much of a splash.

Post #38   4/3/08 4:29:56PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by TNunley

Posted by AchillesHeel

right because racial favoritism in the work force and the judicial system is not prominent still today. Same way with the police... and because forrest griffin was a cop it would make it even less racist, i agree

More often than a white man getting a job over a black man because of some racist bastard I can guarantee you there are minorities getting jobs over white folks. It's called EEOE, and these corporations get tax incentives for hiring minorities. So I don't see how that comment really makes since.

Live in the now man, just because you hear about white people being racist doesn't mean the exact same thing isn't going on in the other direction. My point of what I said was that it doesn't matter who says it... if it's okay for Page to say it, then it shouldn't be racist for Forrest to say it.

If you want to get into a racebate we can do that in the locker room if you're really that bored. I don't really see how your comments are even related to mine. My response took the conversation even further off topic than Achilles' did, but yours took it way out into left field.

Post #39   4/3/08 4:31:09PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Rush

During the broadcast it was said that Alves walks around at 190. There is a trade off for cutting weight and I think there comes a point were giving up 3-5 pounds is a better choice than cutting 3-5 extra pounds to try and have a small weight advantage over your opponent. Not only that, there is always a potential risk of not making weight, which is not a great thing either.

If you think cutting weight and dropping down is the key to a fighter's success in MMA, then I think you are short sighted. Having a size advantage only takes you so far before it will start to work against you.

Swick was considered a small MW and he did well at MW. Let's see how well he does at WW. My hunch is that he will not tear through the division as well as he did in MW. Joe Riggs is another big WW that didn't make much of a splash.

I agree to an extent with that. I think cutting weight can only help you so much. Then again a cut into the lower weight class can be highly beneficial if it doesn't take too much away from your game (energy). So I would have to agree that it does give an advantage to a point, but I also agree with you that it is not a determining factor in a fight. If everyone is cutting weight to get to the next lower weight class, what difference will it make anyway? You'll be fighting the same people, you just both took a lot of time and energy to do it at a certain weight.

Post #40   4/3/08 4:34:04PM   

WhiteWidow

Banned

Career:86-49
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by WhiteWidow

im pretty pissed houston lost and so quickly, i guess he dosnt have a chin...oh well james will be destroyed by a top 10 pretty soon,

Wow you really think that beacause Irvin knock him out with one superman punch he has a weak chin lets not forget that irvin is as big as you can be at 205 and man it was a superman punch did you think that Hugues had a weak chin when GSP knock him down with a superman punch??

from what i've seen from houston 3 of his 4 fights hes been knocked out or down, and this fight was his worst display of his chin, irvin hits hard yeah most ppl would go down too but he didnt recover well after the superman where as hughes at least lasted a little bit longer trying to defend

Post #41   4/3/08 5:40:17PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
That knee he took last night was better than the one Diego hit him with(knocking out his tooth), because it knocked him the fuc out. I loved it. On top of that Nate Diaz proved how tough he was. Took a beating and then ended it on the ground. Greatl transition into the triangle.

Post #42   4/3/08 5:48:28PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I myself would say that the Karo fight was an early stoppage. I was kinda dissapointed in it. Karo was still defending himself and this Mazigatti guy who I'm starting to not like as a ref stepped in and called the fight. I am by far not even close to being a Karo fan but that stop was bullcrap in my opinion. As for Alexander saying his fight was an early stoppage. You got to be kidding me dude! You got knocked out harcore! If your kids really do hit harder than that maybe you should start getting them trained into MMA!

Post #43   4/3/08 5:54:09PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
though i thought karo would grind out a 3 round decision, im very glad to see him KTFO. he is an embarassment to the sport. every time i see him , i dislike him more. Thiago looked huge for 170 and karo looked like a fat slob. hes turned into a welterweight tim sylvia(not only in appearance but the way be fights not to lose via decision rather then to stop the fight). send him packin dana.

Last edited 4/3/08 9:32PM server time by andersondasilva
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #44   4/3/08 9:31:47PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:399-228
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

I myself would say that the Karo fight was an early stoppage. I was kinda dissapointed in it. Karo was still defending himself and this Mazigatti guy who I'm starting to not like as a ref stepped in and called the fight. I am by far not even close to being a Karo fan but that stop was bullcrap in my opinion. As for Alexander saying his fight was an early stoppage. You got to be kidding me dude! You got knocked out harcore! If your kids really do hit harder than that maybe you should start getting them trained into MMA!

You cant really say that one was an early stoppage and then say the other was not, because they were practically the same situation. In Houston's case, he looked to go limp after the first punch connected after he was knocked down. His arms and head went back and took 1-2 clean shots and was not defending himself. It was not an early stoppage. In Karo's case, he got KO'd by the knee. It was not an early stoppage because when the ref sees the fighter go out, no matter if it is a flash KO, they will stop it. Like when Chuck got KO'd by Page. He was starting to defend himself but had already gone out, so Big John called it. Karo should not be complaining because while he was out he took about 4 shots, even if one woke him up, he had still gone out.

Post #45   4/4/08 3:07:50PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4