Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Any chance Machida could be Chucks next fight?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
This possibility could be completely rediculous to most of you, but I figured i'd ask anyways for the sake of conversation.

Dana pretty much said that Chucks next fight would not be against any of the TUF guys and we're all pretty sure Tito and Babalu will not be getting another shot anytime soon due to both of them having lost twice to chuck already. He also confirmed that both Chuck and Rampage will each have one more fight before they fight each other.

So the question everybody is asking right now is who is next for Chuck?

Now unless they bring a fighter from pride over that they could instantly validate having a title shot (Wanderlei, Shogun, Lil Nog) that doesn't leave many options. Out of all the UFC LHW fighters that Dana didn't mention would not be next for the title shot, Machida seems to be the only one with the potential. Sure, he has only one fight in the UFC and it was against a relative can in Hogar but he does have some impressive wins on his record(Franklin, BJ, etc.). Granted, Franklin and BJ are not natural LHW's but Franklin can fight at LHW and they are both great P4P fighters.

If UFC starts promoting Machida and let the fans know who he is, do you think they could sell this match? Do you think they would want to? Any other opinions?

Post #1   2/21/07 4:53:06PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Machida will not fight Chuck yet, he has one fight in the UFC and it was an undercard match. He will def. become a force in the LHW div. tho. and soon will be talked about fighting Chuck, but not yet.

Post #2   2/21/07 4:55:53PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
They have to build him up first...the casual MMA fan has never heard of him. That was bullshit putting him on the undercard of the last payperview. All real fans who know what's going on wanted to see that fight.

Post #3   2/21/07 4:57:27PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
I wish Machida would fight Chuck then beat him.

Post #4   2/21/07 4:58:58PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

Machida will not fight Chuck yet, he has one fight in the UFC and it was an undercard match. He will def. become a force in the LHW div. tho. and soon will be talked about fighting Chuck, but not yet.

Alright. So if it's not any of the TUF guys and nobody is brought over from pride, who will it be?

Really, with the right amount of marketing the UFC can build up a fighter in no time flat. Talk about Machida as highly as they did CC and mention his accomplishments and I think it could be a possibility.

I personally don't think this will happen. With all the talk of Dana picking up contracts after they're up with pride, i'm assuming it's gonna be somebody from there. But if it isn't, i don't see any other options.

Post #5   2/21/07 5:10:11PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Chips:
Dang idk maybe he will move up to HW?

Last edited 2/21/07 5:13PM server time by fedorwins1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/21/07 5:11:58PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
He should fight horn again, he was the only guy to test chuck at his best. Or i'd like to matt lindland come back to the ufc and fight chuck !!!

Post #7   2/21/07 5:13:26PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
Well Chuck is getting one warm up fight then he is fighting Rampage so whoever Chuck fights it shouldnt be a contest.

Last edited 2/21/07 5:18PM server time by THE_AXE_MURDERER

Post #8   2/21/07 5:18:37PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Chips:
Maybe Brandon Vera will move down to LHW and fight him, I wanna see Brandon Vera get KTFO

Post #9   2/21/07 5:19:17PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I highly doubt it.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   2/21/07 5:22:43PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I highly doubt it.

Well I can't see anyone else he would fight the only people who are worthy are Jardine, Rashad, Griffin, Rampage, apparently none of them are fighting Chuck next so who would it be?

Post #11   2/21/07 5:25:41PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Wandy or someone else from outside the UFC( /Lil Nog/Shogun), Wandy being the only one I could see them selling to the casual fan. As for Dana's comments of Chck's next fight not being Rampage or any of the TUF'ers, it could just be a negotiating ploy since Rampages contract comes up soon. The only other outside fighter besides those listed I could think of them being able to sell is Bas Rutten. The could play up the retired a HVYweight champ of the UFC angle, and they've got footage of him from the UFC and the WFA, However, I think Bas is retired. Personally I think it's a Rampage negotiating ploy out of all of the above, but I hope it's Wandy.That's all I can think of.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #12   2/22/07 12:12:17AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Yeah, its either got to be a big name from another org that they bought up, or a legend thats instantly marketable. Only problem is is that I can't think of a legend for him to fight. Royce is too light, Shamrock and Bas are retired, Severn is too old and big, Frye and Goodridge are too big. Anyone else from the old school would just be a can and have zero recognition to anyone except the hardcore fans.

hippysmacker: "All right! Harold Howard is back!!!"

Last edited 2/22/07 12:55AM server time by svartorm

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   2/22/07 12:55:04AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I think the thread starter might be right. Who else could it be? Anyone coming over from PRIDE will have a build -up fight before a title shot. (Except Wandy)
I realize Machida was only on a dark match, but Chuck's going to sell no matter what. And I think Dana would sacrifice mediocre PPV numbers to keep Chuck active

Post #14   2/22/07 1:41:44AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
You know who I just thought of that would rule? Igor Vochancyn. He doesn't seem to be fighting for anyone, and if they could get his highlight reel, he'd be instantly appriciated in the UFC because hes a slugger. It would probably make for a good fight too if Igor is still training.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #15   2/22/07 1:56:40AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2