Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The 25 Toughest Athletes (w/ 2 faces you might recognize)

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

this is HUGE for MMA. i am so happy that 2 of the top 10 were from MMA. i disagree with Fedor's defining moment but i am still glad to see MMA get represented. man, this made my day

and for tiger woods...i have to say Golf...yes Golf...out of all the sports has the most pressure in it. i can honestly say i believe golf is the sport with the most intangible factors to overcome and to dominate the sport for so long and overcoming those intangibles is toughness to me. i probably wouldn't rank him as number one but the list was well done in general. again...i am psyched that both Anderson and Fedor were in the top 10...Anderson was in the top 3 for crying out loud!!!

I'm actually curious to see if the UFC will link to the article on their website...on one hand, it gives credit to Anderson, but on the other hand, Fedor is recognized as well.

Post #16   4/2/08 2:50:42PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
While I agree Rugby players should be there, you can't say that just because football players have pads on, doesn't mean they aren't tough. I've played both sports. You get hit a lot harder in football because of the fact that the other guy is padded too.

Post #17   4/2/08 3:00:29PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
i cnt dissagree with tiger being number one. he is the most dominant figure in any sport. im sure when they say toughness they include mental toughness. and you ned major mental toughness to be that good and dominant at any sport

Post #18   4/2/08 3:18:22PM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by tdietel01

i cnt dissagree with tiger being number one. he is the most dominant figure in any sport. im sure when they say toughness they include mental toughness. and you ned major mental toughness to be that good and dominant at any sport

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think that's why they put that first paragraph in there about how they defined tough.

Also, I don't care who you are if you think winning a PGA Tour tournament while having food poisoning isn't mentally, and physically (yeah I said it) tough you should just leave the discussion now. I don't necessarily feel that he should be #1, but I don't disagree with their choice to include him on the list.

Post #19   4/2/08 3:31:00PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
sorry i quoted the wrong thing

Last edited 4/2/08 3:35PM server time by nastshabast
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   4/2/08 3:33:45PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
I really don't like the list. it does have a few MMA fighters and all, but how is Tiger the "Toughest" maybe the most Dominant, but not toughest.

Post #21   4/2/08 3:42:40PM   

krthll1

MMA Regular

krthll1 Avatar

Career:504-298
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by tdietel01

thank you!

Post #22   4/2/08 3:56:14PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by TNunley

Posted by tdietel01

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think that's why they put that first paragraph in there about how they defined tough.

Also, I don't care who you are if you think winning a PGA Tour tournament while having food poisoning isn't mentally, and physically (yeah I said it) tough you should just leave the discussion now. I don't necessarily feel that he should be #1, but I don't disagree with their choice to include him on the list.

While I agree with certain points made, I'm looking at overall toughness. Just cuz the guy had food poisoning once and played through it (which I'll admit I probably wouldn't do) doesn't mean he's overall the toughest in sports. I'm looking at toughness concerning guys who night after night take hit after hit, their bones are constantly sore, their joints are constantly sore, and their muscles are constantly sore, yet they continually throughout their career forge on. Brett Favre is a good example. AC Green is a good example. Any MMA fighter is a good example.

Yes, Golf is mentally taxing, but the thing about the mental game is you learn a way to ignore it, and you're good to go. With pain it's different. The mental pressure is always the same in one way or another in golf, but the physical pains between a torn ACL, getting punched in the face, having your arm broken and still winning a fight (Randy Couture vs. Gonzaga), having a broken rib and continuing a fight (Mirko Crocop, BJ Penn, etc. etc.) they're all very different types of physical pain, and along with each of those comes a new mental toughness required.

It's one thing to keep forging through the mental toughness of having to make a par 3 in high winds against the best golf players in the world or situations like it. It's a whole other thing to have the physical and mental toughness to have the crowd booing you, be gassing the **** out, have a broken bone, keep getting punched in the face, and still come out on top a victor all at once and then some.

I know a little about physical and mental toughness because I've done one of the hardest jobs in the world. Golf is not the same as a fight. I'm not going to go so low as to tell someone to "leave the discussion now" because everyone has a valid point to make. When you're talking about golfing and how it requires skill- you're right, hands down. When you're talking about golfing and being "tough" I just don't see it. I'd walk up to Jack Nicklaus right now and jack that mother ****** in the jaw, but no way in hell you could pay me to do that to BJ Penn.

Post #23   4/2/08 5:34:24PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by TNunley

Posted by tdietel01

While I agree with certain points made, I'm looking at overall toughness. Just cuz the guy had food poisoning once and played through it (which I'll admit I probably wouldn't do) doesn't mean he's overall the toughest in sports. I'm looking at toughness concerning guys who night after night take hit after hit, their bones are constantly sore, their joints are constantly sore, and their muscles are constantly sore, yet they continually throughout their career forge on. Brett Favre is a good example. AC Green is a good example. Any MMA fighter is a good example.

Yes, Golf is mentally taxing, but the thing about the mental game is you learn a way to ignore it, and you're good to go. With pain it's different. The mental pressure is always the same in one way or another in golf, but the physical pains between a torn ACL, getting punched in the face, having your arm broken and still winning a fight (Randy Couture vs. Gonzaga), having a broken rib and continuing a fight (Mirko Crocop, BJ Penn, etc. etc.) they're all very different types of physical pain, and along with each of those comes a new mental toughness required.

It's one thing to keep forging through the mental toughness of having to make a par 3 in high winds against the best golf players in the world or situations like it. It's a whole other thing to have the physical and mental toughness to have the crowd booing you, be gassing the **** out, have a broken bone, keep getting punched in the face, and still come out on top a victor all at once and then some.

I know a little about physical and mental toughness because I've done one of the hardest jobs in the world. Golf is not the same as a fight. I'm not going to go so low as to tell someone to "leave the discussion now" because everyone has a valid point to make. When you're talking about golfing and how it requires skill- you're right, hands down. When you're talking about golfing and being "tough" I just don't see it. I'd walk up to Jack Nicklaus right now and jack that mother ****** in the jaw, but no way in hell you could pay me to do that to BJ Penn.

need to spread the love

Post #24   4/2/08 6:16:33PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I agree Tiger should not be at the top. Maybe 20 or something. Sure he dominates the sport but the sport is not that tough. I play golf at least two times a week, but I am not stupid enough to get in the cage with any of the good fighters. I could have probably held my own 15 years ago but now I play golf.

Post #25   4/2/08 6:36:58PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

need to spread the love

I gave him a props for you.

Post #26   4/2/08 6:40:27PM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
No love for Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture? Matt Hughes maybe?

Post #27   4/2/08 9:41:57PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Nice to see Big Z and Chelly on the list. They definitly deserve some recognition. Chelios is older then everyone else in the NHL combined and is still playing. Not good, but he's playing damn it.

Post #28   4/2/08 10:05:37PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
You have to take all of these lists with a grain of salt...I honestly think the toughest athlete is Randy Coutore...but I'm an MMA fan and am biased.

I could never in my life add Tiger Woods to the list if I was making it myself...I mean...its golf.

BTW-on the top 50 "hardest" sports list that SI did last year, MMA was ranked 6th.

1. Boxing (Ok I can see the argument...even though they make millions a fight and are one dimensional, and have padded gloves...nah in all seriousness Boxing is tough, 10 rounds gettin hit in the face)

2. Hockey (Ok I could see an argument here)

3. Footbal (Well, America is biased...but alright I se ethe argument)

4. Basketball (No, just No)

5. Wrestling (Definetly, IMO is harder than MMA, and teh hardest sport of all due to its seasons)

6. MMA (uh...Top 3 at least man)

(Note originally Basebal was number 5, and Gymnastics was number 6. Then it was revised a week later saying that they made some huge overlooks)

Post #29   4/3/08 12:49:29PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

While I agree Rugby players should be there, you can't say that just because football players have pads on, doesn't mean they aren't tough. I've played both sports. You get hit a lot harder in football because of the fact that the other guy is padded too.

I am not saying there not tough only that if they are tough then rugby players are tougher.

I dont agree with the getting hit harder because of the pads. Quite the opposite in fact. The players can run faster without pads and the faster you run into someone the harder it will be. Also the pads are there to absorb inpact. The impact area is much larger if you hit someone with your shoulder pads on than if you hit someone with your shoulder bone. A smaller inpact area means a more damaging blow (like elbow strikes)

Post #30   4/3/08 3:43:02PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3