Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cung Le -- Still Doubtful

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
First of all, there's no doubt that this fight with Shamrock was very exciting and well worth anyone's money as a main event bout. Cung worked his butt off and won, but I still don't consider him a top 5 combatant, and just barely top 10.

Tonight was a good litmus test, which showed that Cung has great technique, but some of the worst power I have ever seen with a kickboxer. Granted, if the fight stays on the feet Cung has a good chance of wearing his opponent down with amazing kicks, but Cung can't bide his time all the time, hoping he can wear his opponent down and stuff takedowns in order to win. Once Cung defeats a quality stand up opponent, then I will be convinced. Congrats to him, he deserved the win over a cocky Shamrock, but I want to see him pressured next time around.

Post #1   3/29/08 11:18:18PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
shamrock was just trying to put on a show. cung hangs his hands low, could come back to hurt him, throws alot of kicks could get taken down more. flat footen. im just not sold on him right now, because it seemed frank wasnt really trying to win, because if frank wanted to really win he could have taken him down instead of just trying to stand up. do what you got to do to win.

Post #2   3/29/08 11:22:30PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
yea i'm still not sold on Cung, IMO he wouldnt outstrike anderson silva, i've heard so many people say that

Post #3   3/29/08 11:30:13PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I'd say he should go to the UFC (whenever his contract is done with) and leave without a doubt that he can really do this.
I sort of doubt him, but the thing about him is that the guy has balls......he was about to get KTFO and he pushed foward.
He is a true fighter.....True MMA fighter......I don't know yet

Post #4   3/29/08 11:32:32PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
he needs to get more experienced first because right now theres alot of flaws to his game, and he's just getting by on the kicks and stuff.

Post #5   3/29/08 11:34:38PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

he needs to get more experienced first because right now theres alot of flaws to his game, and he's just getting by on the kicks and stuff.

Right, and he is no CroCop, so those kicks will only hold off opponents who don't know how to get past them.

Post #6   3/29/08 11:54:12PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Le really has no Ko power. He just kinda chips away at a guy and wears him down. This type of strategy won't work against a top 10 guy, let alone A. Silva. I'm glad to see Shamrock eat his words, but other than that cung le looked flat

Post #7   3/30/08 1:39:16AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I could have sworn I seen Shamrock bleed out of his ear by the end of round 3........but it could just be me..........but if it's true, making someone bleed out his ear like, must mean you have some sort of power. But I think his kick to the head tend to slap more than actually go WHAM.

Either way Cung Le and Shamrock were both great in this fight, and luckly I didn't have to pay.

Post #8   3/30/08 2:53:36AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
His kicks are like Glaube to me. Alot of show but not a ton of power. They are ussually very poweful but only if everything is perfect and that only happens in practice.

Post #9   3/30/08 3:30:23AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
IMO

just MO, dont hate.

Cung could take A Silva In 1-2 years. once he becomes well rounded, and steps his boxing game up, he will be UFC champ one day. Cung has so much potential.

Post #10   3/30/08 4:06:23AM   

ICSlegend

MMA Regular

ICSlegend Avatar

Career:56-40
Chips:
Yeah, everyone is spot on here. I didn't find Cung Le very impressive either. They both looked pretty out of shape though. I guess Frank's knee really is setting him back cardio-wise.

Cung's power is severely lacking. I think a good number of guys would beat Anderson, but Cung is not one of my picks. He's not that fast or precise, much less a KO artist. I don't think Anderson would have a problem outstriking him.

And Cung looked pretty bad whenever Shamrock "really pressured". Only once or twice, but Shamrock really is getting old, at least in terms of ring age. Cung's still got a lot to prove.

Last edited 3/30/08 8:53AM server time by ICSlegend
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   3/30/08 8:52:42AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
I saw some holes in his game. But how do you criticize his power when he TKOs a guy who's oly been stopped once in 34 fights (and wasn't stopped by bigger guys like Tito and Bas) and does so by breaking his bones with a kick? They guy is 6-0 with 6 KOs. I haven't seen a problem with his ability to put people away yet.

Post #12   3/30/08 10:08:00AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
As for Le's striking, well, after watching the fight I have to agree that his strikes did not have much power. My hunch is that his striking will be much less effective given a match with more takedowns.

I agree with the assessment that Frank lost this fight because of the way he fought not so much the was Le fought. Frank did not have a lot of movement, which caused him to absorb a lot of hits. Even if the hits were not power hits, they do take a toll.

That being said, I would like to see Cung fight a more dynamic striker and/or someone that will test his ground game. Frank did neither of that and did not succeed in changing my opinion about Cung.

Post #13   3/30/08 1:00:31PM   

ricardo

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hey you guys, don't forget that Cung Le is a world class fighter.....He is the world champion in kickboxing....Le could knock out any body, he does has power...he did not connect any thing flush against Frank. Most of the kicks and puches did not connect flush, most of them just glanced by Frank.....He broke Frank arm with his kick and I remeber in one of his kickboxing match he broke some dude shin with his kick. Remember this is MMa fight, anyone can knock anyone out with a flush kick or punch.....

Don't forget that Frank is a world class fighter either, how many people can beat Frank right now in this division?

Le is the fighter with many skills...I think he capable of beating anyone right now...

Post #14   3/30/08 2:36:00PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I disagree with the assertion that Cung proved nothing versus Frank. He proved that he could beat a champion.

Cung Le is a completely unique specimen in MMA. There is no other fighter that brings the skillset that he does. People try to compare him to Cro Cop and A. Silva, but those are bad comparisons. His style is not like either. The only thing that is similar to Cro Cop is that they both have come in and shattered what we believe is possible in MMA by using a kick-based striking system and winning.

Cung's kicks are not powerful? Well, compared to Cro Cop that is true. They are powerful enough to break an ulna bone. He also is able to keep balanced and does not put himself in a bad spot when he kicks.

Cung's wrestling is poor? It hasn't been tested in the cage very much, but he has experience wrestling and I bet they may go over it once in a while at AKA. The only grappling goals that Cung should really ever have are to avoid being taken down and to get up if he has been taken down. So far, I have seen no holes in that part of his game.

Cung Le is 6-0 and still has a long ways to go before he proves himself among the top. He is one of those fighters who has come in hyped and as a result some people get offended by his early fame. Instead of trying to discount him as a top fighter, why not celebrate him for what he is? Cung Le is a one-of-a-kind MMA fighter whose style is exciting to watch and nearly impossible for anyone else to pull off.

Post #15   3/30/08 3:32:00PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2