Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roy Jones Jr. Wants Silva Fight; Dana White Not So Much

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Now that it’s clear both Silva and Jones want the fight, there’s just one question: What does the UFC think? Turns out, they’re not so crazy about it. Not yet, anyway.

“We’ve spoken about it,” Soares said. “At first, I think there was a lot of resistance. They don’t seem too into it, to be honest with you. We’ve heard from certain people that there’s just no way that this can happen. But never say never, you know.”

Recently the jokesters over at Bodog went ahead and handicapped the bout, despite the fact that it’s only talk at this point, and they pegged Jones as a heavy favorite with a -2800 line. Silva is going off at +1400, which is understandable since he’s never had a real pro boxing match and Jones, you know, has had a few.

Soares, who may well be biased, warns us against underestimating Silva.

“I think Anderson would be able to put up a good fight against Roy Jones. That’s my opinion. Maybe it’s unrealistic. When you talk to some people and read some of these threads, there’s people who swear up and down that it’s the stupidest thing to believe Anderson would do it, but I don’t know. Maybe I’m tainted. I’m not saying that Anderson’s going to go in there and knock him out, but I think Anderson is that skilled that he could make it a fight.”

LINK

Post #1   3/27/08 3:11:32PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I believe Anderson could make it a bit of a fight. I see Roy Jones winning by points big time, but I'd definitely love to watch it.

Doesn't surprise me that Dana wants to step into the mix and make it difficult, though.

Post #2   3/27/08 3:30:07PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i wouldn't want my most dominant champion getting beat in another sport tarnishing his "invincibility" status that he has piled up in recent years. it would make no sense for Dana to let this happen unless he genuinely believed that Silva would win. i am against this and think it is in fact a bad decision for Silva. for him to box RJJ would be the equivalent of the New England Patriots playing the South African rugby team in rugby...just two different sports. MMA and boxing are not really similar at all in terms of dynamics and skill and i believe that it is unwise to fight a man who has been a pro boxer for years and has at one time been the best boxer in the world when you haven't ever participated in boxing. IMO there should be a middle ground and make this a K-1 match that way it takes the best of both worlds so to say so there isn't such a lopsided advantage for RJJ.

Post #3   3/27/08 3:41:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i wouldn't want my most dominant champion getting beat in another sport tarnishing his "invincibility" status that he has piled up in recent years. it would make no sense for Dana to let this happen unless he genuinely believed that Silva would win. i am against this and think it is in fact a bad decision for Silva. for him to box RJJ would be the equivalent of the New England Patriots playing the South African rugby team in rugby...just two different sports. MMA and boxing are not really similar at all in terms of dynamics and skill and i believe that it is unwise to fight a man who has been a pro boxer for years and has at one time been the best boxer in the world when you haven't ever participated in boxing. IMO there should be a middle ground and make this a K-1 match that way it takes the best of both worlds so to say so there isn't such a lopsided advantage for RJJ.

Post #4   3/27/08 4:10:05PM   

vtecmonster

Learning to Sprawl

vtecmonster Avatar

Career:37-25
Chips:
I think it’s funny that this match up bothers people...

Anderson Silva enjoys fighting and pushing his abilities in all aspects of the sport. If Silva wins awesome... if Silva loses... who cares. He lost to an accomplished champion in a different sport. I’m guessing that Silva wanted to do this as an exhibition to test his abilities more then a serious match. I don’t see any harm in this.

If a fan sees Anderson Silva losing this match up as an actual loss, then they are idiots and should being watching the wwf instead of mma.

Post #5   3/27/08 4:10:13PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,405-824
Camp: TKO
Chips:
There is major debate on which fighters are better/tougher - boxers or mixed martial artists. Once Roy hands Silva his azz (and he will in a boxing ring), I personally believe that MMA will lose some credibility. Probably not in the eyes of MMA fans but boxing fans will say that MMA is nothing more than a bunch of chumps who can't stand toe-to-toe with the premiere boxers. Put a boxer in an octagon and it would be an entirely different story. This fight is a no-win situation for MMA - unless Silva got lucky and KTFO Jones (again, this won't happen). I seriously doubt that Dana wants to risk everything he has done to build MMA into a legit sport with a Silva/Jones boxing match.

Post #6   3/27/08 4:30:07PM   

vtecmonster

Learning to Sprawl

vtecmonster Avatar

Career:37-25
Chips:

Posted by TWITA

There is major debate on which fighters are better/tougher - boxers or mixed martial artists. Once Roy hands Silva his azz (and he will in a boxing ring), I personally believe that MMA will lose some credibility. Probably not in the eyes of MMA fans but boxing fans will say that MMA is nothing more than a bunch of chumps who can't stand toe-to-toe with the premiere boxers. Put a boxer in an octagon and it would be an entirely different story. This fight is a no-win situation for MMA - unless Silva got lucky and KTFO Jones (again, this won't happen). I seriously doubt that Dana wants to risk everything he has done to build MMA into a legit sport with a Silva/Jones boxing match.

I completely disagree with almost everything you said.

There is no debate... that debate ended 15+ years ago with UFC 1. Boxers will be the first to admit they would lose, there is no shame in that. Pro Poxers are excellent at what they do.

The only person that stands to lose anything is RJJ. There will be announcers (I'm sure) to explain to the casual fan what is going on & what would happen in a real fight. The announcers will be able to explain the differences in the two sports to the average joe. It's actually a good platform to show people why to watch mma. It’s not rocket science.

If your average fan can understand the ground game... they can understand the difference in boxing and mma.

Post #7   3/27/08 4:55:11PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:
MMA has EVERYTHING to lose! Arguably the best P4P fighter in the MMA world gets (T)KOed, loses, whatever against a 40 year old former champ would set MMA back years because the idiot pundits would not let this loss go away. "We told you boxers were better!!" That is all we would here, literaly, forever.

On the flip side, what does Silva or MMA have to gain? Beating a 40 year old former champ? The pundits again, "RJJ is too old to fight these young guys. He is only 3-3 in his last six fights. His career has been over for years now." There will not be one ounce of respect or credibility for a victory of RJJ.

Asinine to think MMA has nothing to lose!

Post #8   3/27/08 5:06:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
hey but this could be the 1st of many cross over fights, who knows maybe they r playin a rematch in the cage. that would 2 huge paydays, cause u would see mma v boxin in both realms . plus u can put whatever sin u want to it to make ur way ( RJJ is out of his prime, Anderson is a mma fighter, RJJ should win, anderson lasted the whole time against one of boxin greats, etc...........) it would be a huge pay day and most fans of both know the realltiy of the sports and so do most of the fighters and who else is anderson gonna fight. this would be a prefect time for it. RJJ out his prime and anderson in his. RJJ is supposed to win but if anderson can put a how on or last or maybe even win (only takes one punch) MMA gains hugely .

Post #9   3/27/08 5:20:17PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I just have no interest in watching this unless it's under MMA rules.

Post #10   3/27/08 5:28:54PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I don't see what this match could hurt. Silva losing to Jones Jr. wouldn't tarnish anything he's built up in the UFC. It will only stand as a UFC guy wanting to take on another challenge in a different sport. If he gets beat, so what. It was a boxing match, not a MMA match.

Post #11   3/27/08 5:49:30PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i say let themgo... but do aboxingmatch and an mmafight

Post #12   3/27/08 6:16:03PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Chips:
Do you know how retarded that is to make RJJ get in a cage? WTF?!?! He has never trained MMA! You expect him to march to his own death? What? Give him a year to train and then "on with the execution?"

Amazing how someone can see something beneficial come out of this.

Post #13   3/27/08 6:34:51PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

I Agree, but on the other hand, i think this is just a piece of a "Bigger Picture"
I Think that if Jones Jr were to win, there would be a rematch, this time in the UFC. where as we all know, Silva, Hendo, Franklin would just run right through him. I actually really hope this fight happens, but we can dream as much as we want, as long as Zuffa isn't getting crap outta this, it will never happen

Post #14   3/27/08 7:26:45PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Chips:
What is the bigger picture?

Post #15   3/27/08 8:51:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2