Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

If you were Brandon Vera, what would you do?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
It's a roll of the dice either way, IMO...

If Brandon stays, and continues fighting well, he can also expect percentages of the PPV buys that the UFC is getting. A rumor I heard was that Chuck and Tito got somewhere around 2 to 3$ per PPV sale each for their last fight...

That's over 2 million dollars right there, for one fight. Adding on all of the sponsorship deals that would be offered that is a very significant amount of money, but none of this is guaranteed money. He has to keep winning.

His other choice is to take the big offer from the fledgling co. and see where that takes him... IMO, that's a gamble as well...

I would never blame Vera for taking more money and leaving the UFC, but after thinking about it a little more wouldn't staying with the larger more permanent co. be the wiser choice financially?

The one catch is he has to keep winning and if he isn't confident in that, then he might as well take the big paycheck while he can...

Post #16   2/22/07 11:03:48AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by mmadb

For their first time out I think they did a good job, not great, but good. I mean, it seems like people are expecting gold right out of the gates.

Yes, but EliteXC themselves seem to be amongst the parties expecting gold right out of the gates. EliteXC doesn't appear to be following in the footsteps of the WEC, King of the Cage, or the IFL, they seem closer the model to the WFA in terms of paying guys a lot of money. The comparison with the WFA doesn't come out of thin air.

As to the OP's question, if I were Brandon Vera I would take the UFC's offer, which I believe was six figures. That's a good amount of money, in my world, and there's simply no question that the UFC is the more highly-regarded organization, by the fans, the media, and the fighters.

Post #17   2/22/07 11:11:10AM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
I think in this case the keyword is 'popularity' Yeah, the money EliteXC are offering are a LOT but i think if Brandon stays in the UFC he can make more (or maybe the same) amount of $$$ with a good PR... I personally hope he stays in the UFC , so i can see him more often because he is one of my favorite fighters... I absolutely love his style...

Post #18   2/22/07 12:50:01PM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing, I personally think it would be wise to stick with the UFC but either way the guy is coming out with a nice chunk of change and I wouldn't fault him for going to Elite XC at all. Hell, on top of his Elite XC payday he can fight in other orgs if he wanted to. I see that as a selling point for me. I guess I just don't see him being the top draw in the UFC with Mirko and Chuck around and I don't see him getting any piece of the PPV sales...ever.

Even though everyone thinks Elite XC is doomed to fail if they don't fail and become a big player I'm pretty sure Vera will be a big part of it if he goes there and end up making way more money than he could have otherwise. He could be the Chuck of Elite XC.

Alas, it's a toss up either way.

Post #19   2/22/07 1:17:52PM   

SilentOutlaw

Learning to Sprawl

SilentOutlaw Avatar

Career:2,914-1,526
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If I was Brandon Vera I would stay in the UFC, but get out of the heavyweight division. If he dropped down to the light heavyweight division, he would be a good challenger for the belt.

To be the best, you've got to beat the best. The best company right now is the UFC, and has a lot of the best fighters. If he dropped down to light heavyweight to challenge for the title and eventually won the title, the big money would follow.

Last edited 1/8/11 9:05PM server time by Silentoutlaw
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   2/22/07 1:35:54PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
If i were Brandon Vera i would sit back and Laugh my Ass off. Becuase he has two big Paychecks either way he goes. And both Orgs want him to become their posterboy.
Brandon Vera has got it made now. Both want to set him up with Sem- good/ good oppoentns to build up his hype. With a few more wins Vera can be consdiered Top 10 material. This guy is living the good life right now.

I wish i as Brandon Vera. Don't You?

Post #21   2/22/07 1:44:51PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2