Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

HELP AGAIN WHICH VIDEO FOR TRAINING?

Print  
Posted By Message

bigscoots

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
LOOKING FOR THE BEST ENTRY LEVEL VIDEO TO TRAIN WITH?

Post #1   3/26/08 4:16:05AM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by bigscoots

LOOKING FOR THE BEST ENTRY LEVEL VIDEO TO TRAIN WITH?

I don't think you got the gist of what everybody was saying in the other thread. You really shouldn't learn from videos without a decent coach or training background already.

Rob McCullah (spelling?) Kickboxing videos are good for striking.
and for grappling?

youtube and lockflow.com are your friends.

*edit: Aesopian.com and submission101 is good too.

Last edited 3/26/08 3:32PM server time by Omega
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/26/08 3:30:00PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
trainfightwin.com is pretty good for Bno gi BJJ

Post #3   3/26/08 7:35:15PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
If you really insist, I posted (linked) a ton of BJJ instructionals on this very site

Post #4   3/26/08 7:47:16PM   

cromike

Learning to Sprawl

Career:3-3
Chips:
enjoye man!

http://trainfightwin.com/index.php?option=com_parainvitepro&task=namecard&userid=251&Itemid=153

Post #5   4/5/08 4:04:28PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
im glad you asked cause i'm in a place in my life where.. i do not have the f'in money to train haha.. maybe in a few months.. but i have guys that wanna roll.. problem is.. in no-gi.. i hang tough with good white belts/ new blue belts... i dont need to be teaching and i know more than the other guys.. shitty situation.. but i'll take a video if that is all i have.. i'm just owrried about building bad habits and improper technique.. i know from a lot of time wreslting that those things are easy to fall into without proper coaching

Last edited 4/17/08 8:42PM server time by jgtribbett
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/17/08 8:41:42PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
Don't but tito's videos. they are decent but not worth $110. gracie instructional videos are great.

Post #7   4/19/08 4:16:13PM   

MMA Regular

905010 Avatar

Career:312-203
Chips:
My instuctor told me to find a fighter around my height and weight, and to mimic his style, so try to find someone with your same body type and try to fight like him(make sure the fighter is an acomplished one) so if you can find instruction video's with some like that, that would be your best bet. And like omega said video's don't really make a difference unless your instuctor know's what he is talking about.

Post #8   4/19/08 6:48:28PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I can't believe I missed this before. Your instructor actually said that? What does he teach?

To an extent, I can agree in that certain body types are more naturally suited to fight a certain way, but that doesn't mean you pick a pro fighter and mimic them. If you're an extreme oddity in size, like a Butterbean or a Semy Schilt, your options might be limited, but for the rest of us that fall into a reasonable middle ground, I don't see this advice having much credibility, unless you've left something important out of his rationale.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   5/16/08 2:34:30AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I was about to say that you just posted before me...

My Tang Soo do Instructor and I are in essence almost physical clones of each other... WE have same shoe size, shirt size, pants hat. were the same height and about 20 pouns weight difference so at 6'2" that is barely noticable... He is a striker I am a grappler.. when it comes to fighting were polar oppisites... instead of mimicing each other we LEARN from each other. I can not fight how he fights and he can not fight how I fight...

YOu can only fight how you fight...

not like someone else... you can study other fighter of a similiar build but you can't fight like him espically since fights are dynamic... they are never the same even if you put the same people in the ring over and over the same exact thing will not happen something similar might but never the exact same thing... otehr wise there would be no point in training and trying to develope new skill...

Post #10   5/16/08 12:28:07PM