Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture Vs Kurt Angle Grappling Match?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
HDNet’s Mark Cuban confirms that Kurt Angle — an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist and current TNA World Heavyweight Champion (professional wrestling) — and UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture are in talks to stage a grappling match sometime in the near future

LINK

Post #1   3/25/08 12:28:11PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm assuming this only appeals to the fans of MMA that also watch wrestling ?

Post #2   3/25/08 12:44:09PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by Porch28

HDNet’s Mark Cuban confirms that Kurt Angle — an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist and current TNA World Heavyweight Champion (professional wrestling) — and UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture are in talks to stage a grappling match sometime in the near future

LINK

Randy will tap him

Post #3   3/25/08 1:00:20PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Porch28

LINK

Randy will tap him

I think so too. Kurt's only chance is to catch Randy in a choke during a shot or something. I dont see him being to technical on the ground, submission wise.

Post #4   3/25/08 1:08:22PM   

Evilwig

MMA Regular

Evilwig Avatar

Career:847-550
Chips:
and why would anyone want to see this or even actually pay for this crap...
Randy is reaching a new low every day

You people don't know what the truth is! It's there, just under their bullshit, but you never look! That's what I hate most about this fucking city -- lies are news and the truth is obsolete! - Spider Jerusalem

Post #5   3/25/08 1:17:42PM   

KingCreep

MMA Regular

KingCreep Avatar

Career:418-327
Chips:
just like anderson boxing jones jr., i dont like the sounds of this. sure it would be nice to bring respect from outside sports but i don't think randy stands a chance against angle and it may just push wrestling fans away in defence for their sport. but then again, most wrestling fans like the staged stuff and wouldn't really appreciate the match nor would most of the new mma fans. i'll watch it but i'm just undecided as to what could happen for the sport.

Post #6   3/25/08 1:36:23PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KingCreep

i don't think randy stands a chance against angle

Post #7   3/25/08 1:52:16PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
If Kurt still has that amateur wrestling down like he did when he won the gold, he'd beat Randy.
Not so sure how much pro wrestling has taken away from his game.

Post #8   3/25/08 2:07:42PM   

ICSlegend

MMA Regular

ICSlegend Avatar

Career:56-40
Chips:
I don't think Randy stands too good a chance either unless Angle is really that degenerated. Randy didn't even make the Olympic Team (was alternate), and Angle won gold with a broken neck. Angle is a class above most in wrestling. That being said, Randy would beat him in MMA of course.

Post #9   3/25/08 2:09:14PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Angle won gold with 2 cracked vertebrae, 2 herniated discs and 4 pulled muscles. But this was 12 years ago and how many neck surgeries ago?

While I haven't heard of Angle dabbling in any sort of wrestling since winning Gold, again 12 years ago, Couture has been the assistant wrestling coach for Oregon State University for the past 15 years or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I realize that Couture is older, but I strongly believe that Angle's injuries have aged him far beyond Couture. Couture has more explosiveness at this point IMO, he can land a take-down better than Angle IMO, and I believe he would be able to control top position. And if all else fails, wrenching on the neck is 'end of story' for Kurt.

I do believe that Kurt has a chance to win, I'm simply counterbalancing posts before mine that give Couture no chance.

Post #10   3/25/08 2:18:18PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by gartface

If Kurt still has that amateur wrestling down like he did when he won the gold, he'd beat Randy.

If I understand this correctly, this is going to be a submission wrestling match.

Post #11   3/25/08 2:20:48PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
I REALLY hope Randy can pull it off, but i am a bit worried. If it is just grappling, not sub wrestling, Randy has no chance. But if it is Submission Wrestling. let us not forget Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Randy Grappled and Ronaldo is one of the most acclaimed BJJ artists in the WORLD. HIGHLY respected, and they grappled and came out a DRAW.

Submission Wrestling, Randy Decision
Wrestling, Kurt by a couple of pins.

Post #12   3/25/08 3:15:17PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
Randy DQ for knees and elbows.

Post #13   3/25/08 3:43:59PM   

The_Grim_Reaper

MMA Regular

The_Grim_Reaper Avatar

Career:349-212
Camp: Soulless Ones
Chips:

Posted by nastshabast

Randy DQ for knees and elbows.

yeah, ok...i think this would be intresting, i actually was flipping and went to spike hoping UFC Unleashed was on but it was TNA instead and i happened to catch Kurt Angle fighting 4 "Pro MMA" Guys in a row one after another, and it showed him like armbar, rear naked choke, guillitine, and i think kimura those guys, it was kinda funny

Post #14   3/25/08 5:34:27PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by KingCreep

just like anderson boxing jones jr., i dont like the sounds of this. sure it would be nice to bring respect from outside sports but i don't think randy stands a chance against angle and it may just push wrestling fans away in defence for their sport. but then again, most wrestling fans like the staged stuff and wouldn't really appreciate the match nor would most of the new mma fans. i'll watch it but i'm just undecided as to what could happen for the sport.

i don't think the Anderson/RJJ analogy applies here. Couture is a lot more experienced then Angle at grappling matches. this is not a wrestling match so Angle doesn't have the edge that you suppose he has. Couture has made the Olympic team before and has done very well in grappling matches so to say that Kurt Angle who hasn't done Collegiate wrestling since he won the Gold medal in 1996 and who hasn't had any formal training in submissions that even compares to Couture's will win in a grappling match is absurd. randy catches Angle is a submission around 7 min into the match. Angle is a great wrestler, but so id Couture and the big difference is the submission game which is a HUGE factor in determining the outcome of this fight. i see Angle leaving himself open due to inexperience with submissions as all wrestlers do and Randy gets his hand raised.

Posted by gartface

even if he did he would still lose as he has no submission game. some of you guys are really forgetting how important the submission game is. and for the record a grappling match infers that it involves submissions, if it was just a wrestling match it would be called a wrestling match. just like all wrestlers transitioning into MMA/JJ Angle will leave himself open. i have seen it way too many times and imo the wrestling skill of Angle isn't pure enough to beat Couture who has the wrestling and submissions to put him away.

Last edited 3/25/08 5:57PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   3/25/08 5:52:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2