Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

EliteXC Fight May Hurt MMA More Than it Helps

Print  
Will EliteXC card hurt more than it helps?
Yes 9 43%
No 10 48%
Don't Know 2 10%
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
On May 31st, MMA will debut on CBS primetime. EliteXC will televise their show live from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

As a fan I'm excited about the sport finally breaking through to the major networks, but evolution always has a price. The question becomes does EliteXC have the talent to support a show on major network TV. As of right now, the answer is no. Unless the promotion makes significant signings or cross promotional fights, the stable just isn't strong enough.

Link

Post #1   3/25/08 7:49:18AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
possible because spiketv with UFC is like the image of spiketv and ufc fit together and they do ufc wired on my ksmo. But a deal with cbs might go bad or good with unknown viewers personally im not for it because elitexc isnt that big yet and doesnt have deep enough talent yet, give them till '09 and then should be pretty good.

Post #2   3/25/08 8:55:02AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
good call on the issue here.... I'd be a little worried that the casual MMA viewer would be disappointed in the roster...

I would hope that Elite XC would stack the first card.
Throw up Antonio Silva, Nick Diaz, Frank Shamrock, Phil Baroni, Robbie Lawler, Renzo Gracie, Gina Carnaro, Murilo Rua, maybe even Scott Smith.

Make sure it's some of the guys that would be recognizable to the mild MMA viewer.

Allow CBS to up the production value of the event. Elite XC really lacks here...

Hopefully Elite XC can pull together a solid card. And I'm really hoping they stick to serious MMA fights... and save the circus (Kimbo) for a later card.

Hopefully they can then leverage this deal to sign some additional free agents...

Post #3   3/25/08 9:37:56AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by GlancyMMA

good call on the issue here.... I'd be a little worried that the casual MMA viewer would be disappointed in the roster...

I would hope that Elite XC would stack the first card.
Throw up Antonio Silva, Nick Diaz, Frank Shamrock, Phil Baroni, Robbie Lawler, Renzo Gracie, Gina Carnaro, Murilo Rua, maybe even Scott Smith.

Make sure it's some of the guys that would be recognizable to the mild MMA viewer.

Allow CBS to up the production value of the event. Elite XC really lacks here...

Hopefully Elite XC can pull together a solid card. And I'm really hoping they stick to serious MMA fights... and save the circus (Kimbo) for a later card.

Hopefully they can then leverage this deal to sign some additional free agents...

\\

hell i'm not a CASUAL viewer and sometimes i'm dissapointed hhahha

Last edited 3/27/08 6:18PM server time by metal_mecca43
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/27/08 6:18:04PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
Honestly i really hate the mainsteam.It's like finding that band you like that makes good music.Then they sign to major label and you start hearing their music on every commerical radio station and their music changes to be more radio friendly and gets overplayed.Maybe my music analogy isn't the best.But some bands i really enjoyed that ended up "selling out" if you would to go mainstream their music went downhill.I hope MMA going to mainstream doesnt change anything.But the worst of it all is the non-casual fan that will watch it and go to school,and or work or whatever the next day and talk about MMA and fighters they really know nothing about..So basically all the idiots out there will get expsed to this and start talking like they know everything.Not that everyone that gets on the mma bandwagon will be an idiot but still..Its the same as everything else..Overexposure + Mainstream = shitty results.Hopefull in this case im wrong.

Post #5   3/27/08 6:36:50PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think it can only help as long as the fight are entertaining. No matter who's fighting if the fights are good it should benefit all MMA IMO.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   3/27/08 7:49:17PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I cant wait for this card to tell the truth. I hope it brings out all of the diehards and draws in a bunch new fans. Even the half assed fans should know names like Baroni, Ninja Rua, Robbie lawler, Scott smith was part of the whole TUF expierience. i think these are some decent names that will make very good fights.

Post #7   3/27/08 8:11:14PM