Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

start training with instructional dvd or not???

Print  
Posted By Message

bigscoots

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
help,
wanting to get into mma figthing no experience funds are a little short deciding whether to do video or wait and pay for training??

Post #1   3/25/08 4:19:32AM   

slamdunk

MMA Regular

slamdunk Avatar

Career:144-106
Chips:
idk bout dvds but i rekon training would b better cos if ur doin sumfin wrong a video cant help 2 correct it. i train jst muay thai and was lucky enough 2 find a gym thats only $10 per lesson so jst look around 4 prices but make sure the trainers hav decent credentialsgdluck

Post #2   3/25/08 5:16:50AM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-468
Chips:
Evan Tanner learned grappling off instuctional DVDs and I believe Franklin did too so who knows you might become the next middleweight champ.

Post #3   3/25/08 9:50:08AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I wouldn't suggest starting with DVD's unless you have someone to train with while watching said DVD's. Even then I'd be hesitant to suggest it to say the least.

I think DVD's are useful for people who have learned said techniques at a school before and they want to practice at home making sure they're using the proper forms. Of course it's always good to have a DVD that relates to your system. Say you've done Eddie Bravo BJJ, well, you'd obviously want to use an Eddie Bravo DVD.

There's things that can't be replaced at schools. Like multiple training partners, someone to coach you personally on what YOU'RE doing, practicioner's different opinions, equipment, etc. etc.

Post #4   3/25/08 1:51:08PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,491-921
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Evan Tanner learned grappling off instuctional DVDs and I believe Franklin did too so who knows you might become the next middleweight champ.

Supposedly Tanner and James Thompson started that way. Rich Franklin definitely did not.

I'm not sure anectdotal evidence (which I question anways) is that compelling. If you made a list of the people that started that way vs. a list that didn't how would those lists compare? You can say that's just a coincidence, but thare are some logical reasons to think a sport with necessary body contact is going to require a live partner and have nuances that don't translate well to media-based (only) instruction. Not only are the MMA ranks of DVD-trained fighters pretty low, but I don't know of any DVD trained boxers, wrestlers, judoka, etc. either.

Post #5   3/25/08 2:41:26PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Well, IMO, training videos are a great way to supplement your training and learn little tricks that you can try out...... if you are an experienced practitioner of that respective style/art. For example, a judoka with 4+ years of judo training would benefit from an instructional video showing various combinations and some signature moves.

I do not think training videos are good for beginners. A good training video is about as good as a bad teacher. The training video can show you how to do something (some show better than others), but you are gambling on whether they are showing all the aspects to the technique. In addition, the video cannot correct you if you do something wrong (i.e. like a bad instructor). You might end up doing a technique incorrectly for a long time and it's more difficult to change bad habits than it is to learn properly from the get go.

Another thing is that many people get training videos that exceed their expertise. For example, I'm sure many people want to learn the techniques on the advanced instructional videos before they even come close to understanding the basic ones. In my opinion, it takes any where from a year up to ten+ years to really UNDERSTAND a technique. I'm willing to bet most people train with a particular video for a few months.

Videos are a great way to memorize technical requirements for a test or procedures for certain techniques, but they are not (even close) a substitute for LEARNING a technique from a good instructor.

Last edited 3/25/08 3:30PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/25/08 3:29:12PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I train with 2 guys that started with videos and they drive me nuts. I can't stand when they try to show advanced moves they learned from a video, or when we are being shown a move and they are like yeah I saw that on our video but it should be done this way. Then they get put in place agian. Not saying you will be like that but they drive me insane. Alot of their problem is theres is a bjj video not MMA ground so alot of it dosn't convert so when they try to shown me a move and their face is wide open I just punch them in the face then say "guess that won't work."

Post #7   3/25/08 7:09:05PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Bigscott, you misunderstood what I said it the "MMA Startup" thread. I said you should start a thread asking WHICH videos are good (provided you have a background in combatives). I already answered this question, which has been echoed by Jackelope and Rush.

Don't start training with videos.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   3/26/08 1:27:55AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
no. i don't think you should self train at all IMO. watch a lot of fight film so you know a lot about the sport, and watch others, but don't start up unless you have someone who knows more than you teaching you. back when i started boxing, i used to just hit the heavy bag by myself, and i picked up bad habits that took years to break. its just not worth it IMO.

Post #9   3/26/08 6:59:17PM