Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roger Huerta vs Alvin Robinson - UFC69

Print  
Posted By Message

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,381-1,565
Chips:
source

looks like huerta will have his hands full in his next matchup.. robinson is 8-1, the ring of fire lightweight champion, a 4-stripe gracie jiujitsu brown belt under john crouch, and every single one of his 8 victories have come by submission.. his only loss is to fabio holanda..

i think this is a great matchup.. im sure it will be a preliminary, but im stoked for it nonetheless

Post #1   2/21/07 9:13:26AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Why does Huerta get fed with these newcomers destroying their possible rise in the division? He's already proved himself numerous times and should face someone who's not dealing with being in the octagon for the first time.
I say he should face Melvin or someone else with octagon experience.

I know Frankie Edgar performed like a star in his octagon debut but he's one of a kind and he was probably supposed to lose that fight to build Griffin up. I don't see an upset happening in this fight and if it does it only ruins the chances of making a HUGE star out of Huerta who probably will be a big draw in the hispanic fight scene and great for the UFC when they're expanding to Mexico.

Post #2   2/21/07 10:09:09AM   

a1strait

Learning to Sprawl

a1strait Avatar

Career:214-114
Camp: TEAM KILLDEM
Chips:
Huerta and Melvin would be a great fight. The first time they fought it was a slugfest and ended with both fighters getting the draw.

Post #3   2/21/07 3:49:34PM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,381-1,565
Chips:

Posted by Stickan

Why does Huerta get fed with these newcomers destroying their possible rise in the division? He's already proved himself numerous times and should face someone who's not dealing with being in the octagon for the first time.
I say he should face Melvin or someone else with octagon experience.

I know Frankie Edgar performed like a star in his octagon debut but he's one of a kind and he was probably supposed to lose that fight to build Griffin up. I don't see an upset happening in this fight and if it does it only ruins the chances of making a HUGE star out of Huerta who probably will be a big draw in the hispanic fight scene and great for the UFC when they're expanding to Mexico.

i agree with what you are saying.. this matchup to me is just like griffin/edgar.. robinson isnt a pushover by any means, but i think he is another buildup fight for huerta (like edgar was supposed to be for griffin).. i think huerta has proven himself enough and should be fighting a few veterans, but then again, i dont make the calls.. he already fought melvin guillard before in 2005, and i dont know the details of the fight, but it was ruled a no contest.. so i think that would be a hell of a rematch..

if the upset does happen and robinson wins, i dont think it will hurt huerta's rep too badly.. he will still be a huge draw when the UFC expands to mexico.. but if he does win, i think maybe having a 3-0 record in the UFC will be enough to get him a shot at some names..

Post #4   2/21/07 4:31:38PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
I agree with everything that has been said about Roger Huerta. He is an exciting fighter to watch but this guy sounds like he's no pushover.

I hope Huerta works on his ground game, from what I've heard and seen his wrestling and jiu jitsu aren't on par with a lot of the other LWs.

At this point the only thing holdinh Roger Huerta back is his ground game. It's nowhere near good enough to get him past Franca, Griffin, Sherk, Florian or Guida.

I would love to see him against Dokonjunosoke Mishima.

Post #5   2/21/07 6:04:07PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by Dadaman

I agree with everything that has been said about Roger Huerta. He is an exciting fighter to watch but this guy sounds like he's no pushover.

I hope Huerta works on his ground game, from what I've heard and seen his wrestling and jiu jitsu aren't on par with a lot of the other LWs.

At this point the only thing holdinh Roger Huerta back is his ground game. It's nowhere near good enough to get him past Franca, Griffin, Sherk, Florian or Guida.

I would love to see him against Dokonjunosoke Mishima.

I got the impression that Roger has great wrestling and pretty good BJJ too. I've never thought of him as a striker. More like a GnPer.
I think he could give any of those LWs you mentioned one hell of a fight. Franca and Sherk might be too early but I'm sure he stacks up with the rest.

Post #6   2/21/07 9:12:50PM   

Chivo

Learning to Sprawl

Chivo Avatar

Career:315-229
Camp: Miyagi Dojo
Chips:

Posted by a1strait

Huerta and Melvin would be a great fight. The first time they fought it was a slugfest and ended with both fighters getting the draw.

Actually Melvin won that fight Split-D. The commission ruled it a no contest afterwards.

Post #7   2/21/07 9:51:12PM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:

Posted by Chivo

Posted by a1strait

Actually Melvin won that fight Split-D. The commission ruled it a no contest afterwards.

Was there a specific reason the commission overturned the decision?

Post #8   2/22/07 1:53:35AM   

Chivo

Learning to Sprawl

Chivo Avatar

Career:315-229
Camp: Miyagi Dojo
Chips:

Posted by Dadaman

Posted by Chivo

Posted by a1strait

Was there a specific reason the commission overturned the decision?

Enough evidence to suspect Melvin of greasing, but not enough for the DQ.

Post #9   2/22/07 6:07:27AM