Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

You know who he is: exclusive interview with Karo Parisyan

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

Dana White referred to Jon Fitch’s record-tying eight-fight win streak* and said that “he is in line, right now, for a title shot once the whole Serra-St. Pierre thing is figured out.”

Karo Parisyan: Okay. Well … (laughs). It is what it is, bro. I mean, what can I do? I thought I deserved the shot before anybody, but it looks like I gotta prove myself one more time, God willing, with Thiago Alves and then seal the deal with the title shot after that, whether it’s Matt Serra, St. Pierre or Jon Fitch.

With such a stacked welterweight division, you seem to be playing the wait game. First we have Serra/GSP at UFC83 in mid-April; and then, assuming Fitch gets a title shot, that likely won’t happen until sometime around August. That might put the next available title shot happening sometime toward the end of 2008. Do you find this frustrating, waiting, if it unfolds like this?

Karo Parisyan: Yeah, kinda. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’d probably have to get a fight in between; I just can’t sit at home and get fat. I don’t know, man. It depends on how this fight goes with Thiago Alves. God willing, if everything goes well and I beat Thiago, and if I have a guaranteed title shot after that, I’m not going to take anymore fights, I’ll just wait for my title shot. But if I have to fight somebody else, I will.

So, I don’t know what the UFC is going to throw my way. First, again, like I said, I’m taking one fight at a time. I’m thinking about Thiago right now, and not Fitch, Serra or GSP.

LINK

Post #1   3/21/08 8:18:28PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I wonder how many hours per day Parisyan spends talking about his title shot?

Post #2   3/21/08 8:31:30PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

then what, do u think Fitch should be closer to a shot than Karo? If Karo wins, he should be next, anyone other than him would be stupid.

Post #3   3/21/08 8:37:58PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by silverbullet

then what, do u think Fitch should be closer to a shot than Karo? If Karo wins, he should be next, anyone other than him would be stupid.

Not really, Diego beat Karo, Fitch beat Diego. Fitch stopped Alves pretty easily. So Karo better dominate every round in a decision 10-8 or actually stop him to make a case against Fitch.

Post #4   3/21/08 9:46:14PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by silverbullet

Not really, Diego beat Karo, Fitch beat Diego. Fitch stopped Alves pretty easily. So Karo better dominate every round in a decision 10-8 or actually stop him to make a case against Fitch.

aw NAW! PLEASE tell me I aint see a perfect example of MMAth right in front of my eyes...

I think Karo should get it Next. He had it guarenteed to him for UFC 56, and didn't get it saved for him. Although I agree He'll have to Win decisively against ALves to Get the shot.

Post #5   3/21/08 9:56:51PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
karo always tellin it like it is , i think hes a great fighter , excited for his next fight

Post #6   3/21/08 10:52:13PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Karo has put in a lot of time, i think he deserves the next title shot. or at least make him and fitch fight for it???

Post #7   3/21/08 11:10:34PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
He definitely deserves a title shot. And to give Fitch a title shot based on MMAth is retarded.

Post #8   3/21/08 11:16:51PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by bls1919

Karo has put in a lot of time, i think he deserves the next title shot. or at least make him and fitch fight for it???

That sounds good.

He definitely deserves a title shot. And to give Fitch a title shot based on MMAth is retarded.

So if I lose to fighter A, then you beat fighter A, am I more deserving of a title shot?

Last edited 3/21/08 11:57PM server time by TImW001
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   3/21/08 11:56:54PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Fitch ON PAPER seems the best candidate. but Fitch is a 1 dimensional fighter, and a very boring one at that. Everyone of Karo's fights are wars, whether he wins or not, he never loses decisevly , & he has more exp. than Fitch. but if u guys want too see GSP own someone in Standup, then Own them on the ground, Then own him where ever else he thinks he has an advantage, then pick Fitch. But if u want a fight, that will go all 5 rounds, that will include Great standup, great takedowns and judo tosses, and that will make u go " WE WANT ROUND 6!", Karo will fit in there just right. 1on1, Karo would put a hurting on Fitch. this is one fight where MMAth does and doesn't help much. In where the only comon fighter, was Diego. Karo lost to Diego, in honestly the best UFN i've seen. Also that was when Diego was on a HOT STREAK, and then Fitch beat him after coming off his worst loss. you guys choose.

I Will put a topic in the MMA Lounge with a poll ( Which WW Should be next for a title shot) for u guys to vote

Post #10   3/22/08 3:10:27PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
that's a tough one... Parisyan and Fitch are both deserving of a title shot. Fitch has been on such a tear with the wins (as boring as they have been) that he will probably get the Serra-St. Pierre winner. I would pay to see a Parisyan fight anyday before a Fitch fight though... Parisyan is a more exciting fighter than Fitch. Give Fitch the Serra-St. Pierre winner and give Parisyan the winner of that fight if he is able to beat Alves.

I have no idea why Fitch fought Chris Wilson and Parisyan is matched up with Alves when they could have had Parisyan and Ftich fight... the only explanation would be that Dana wants both to get title shots..

Last edited 3/22/08 4:04PM server time by coldchillin
2 total post edits

Post #11   3/22/08 3:58:08PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Fitch ON PAPER seems the best candidate. but Fitch is a 1 dimensional fighter, and a very boring one at that. Everyone of Karo's fights are wars, whether he wins or not, he never loses decisevly , & he has more exp. than Fitch. but if u guys want too see GSP own someone in Standup, then Own them on the ground, Then own him where ever else he thinks he has an advantage, then pick Fitch. But if u want a fight, that will go all 5 rounds, that will include Great standup, great takedowns and judo tosses, and that will make u go " WE WANT ROUND 6!", Karo will fit in there just right. 1on1, Karo would put a hurting on Fitch. this is one fight where MMAth does and doesn't help much. In where the only comon fighter, was Diego. Karo lost to Diego, in honestly the best UFN i've seen. Also that was when Diego was on a HOT STREAK, and then Fitch beat him after coming off his worst loss. you guys choose.

I Will put a topic in the MMA Lounge with a poll ( Which WW Should be next for a title shot) for u guys to vote

100% agree, plus karo barely lost to diego. personally i think karo won. and GSP and karo have faced and it went the distance was really good fight, i just dont think fitch stands a remote chance against GSP. plus karo got his shot taken away cause of an injury. plus TUF, Hughes, and serra's injury have held up the WW div for long enough so this many falls on the ufc for gettin to this spot

Post #12   3/22/08 4:13:23PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
lets break it down guys...

Karo is a tough fighter, well respected in the octagon. He's won 8 of his last 10 and those two losses come to the current champ, and probably sanchez's best performance of his life. Some fans say that karo fights wars, others say that he doesnt have the ability to finish fights.. i believe 9 of his last 10 fights in the octagon went to a decision. My personal opinion on this issue is that his style of fighting doesnt finish fights. He has all the desire in the world to win his fights, but his fighting stragies are not aimed at inflicting damage or harming his opponents.. but rather not to lose. For me, the technique and skill he has is fun to watch.. but i dont see the passion and aggression from him that make fights exciting for me.

Fitch is a tough fighter, well respected in the octagon.. and i think more respected outside the octagon than karo. He's won his last 16 fights and is undefeated in the octagon. I've really enjoyed all of fitch's fights.. i dont see him as dynamic or fun to watch as some of the more destructive fighters.. but still more so than karo. Fitch has faced a lot of the same big names as karo so i would consider their records comparable.. MMATH or not. I personally think that fitch is more marketable than karo. A better attitude, more humble, and what i think might currently be the lonest win streak in mma?

The solution?

The solution should be a fight between fitch and karo. Both fighters can make an argument for a titleshot.. but the no1 contender right now is gsp. In the mean time, put the no2 and no3 contenders in a fight to determine the next no1 contender. Now here comes the problem. Fitch's camp after his win over sanchez wanted karo. They were trying to make that fight happen. When karo heard about this.. i wont be able to quote him, but said something along the lines of I'm not afraid of anyone, but I think that if i wait, i'll get the title shot so why should i risk losing a fight that'll take that away?

He came out with an interview since saying that the fight was never offered and that he's not afraid of anyone and that fitch is a punk etc... but i remember the first interview because i was drunk and fighter bashed for the first time on karo.

The reality? fitch has a better record inside and outside of the ufc. Fitch has the ability to finish fights. Fitch has a better attitude and is more respect by the fans. Fitch wanted to fight karo, and karo ducked fitch because he thought that if he waited around, he'd have his title shot. The ufc doesnt wanna promote fighters who think that if they wait around and dodge fights that it'll further their career. The respect and opportunities will be given to the fighters who will fight whoever, whenever, because they love to fight and want to fight the best to be the best.

Post #13   3/22/08 5:28:49PM   

skinnator

Standup Guy

skinnator Avatar

Career:94-81
Chips:
Karapet (Karo) will beat Alves and maybe meantime Fitch can go againts the winner of GSP and Serra. Then Karo and Sanchez could face up and the winner would go againts the Fitch Vs GSP or Serra winner. I see it that way.

Last edited 3/22/08 8:13PM server time by skinnator

Post #14   3/22/08 8:12:55PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by skinnator

Karapet (Karo) will beat Alves and maybe meantime Fitch can go againts the winner of GSP and Serra. Then Karo and Sanchez could face up and the winner would go againts the Fitch Vs GSP or Serra winner. I see it that way.

the winner of Marcus Davis vs Mike Swick is way more deserving than sanchez. if fitch gets the shot 1st then karo but if alves wins than he can face the winner of davis/swick for next in line. but it also depends on time table they have on win the next title shot is after gsp/serra

Post #15   3/22/08 8:58:32PM