Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cyborg out of bout with Joey Villasenor

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos is out of his scheduled bout against Joey Villasenor at next week’s Strikeforce and EliteXC co-promoted event on March 29 at the HP Pavilions in San Jose, Calif.

“He has been having visa problems in Brazil,” Strikeforce vice president Mike Afromowitz told MMAWeekly.com. “The delay in his arrival would jeopardize him getting licensed in time for the fight.”

Afromowitz was unsure why there were delays in the issuance of Santos’ visa, but the promotion had to make the determination to move forward with another opponent and not risk losing the bout altogether.

“There are a few guys that we are considering,” said Afromowitz, “but we’re still looking to finalize a replacement.” He was hopeful that an announcement would be forthcoming soon.

The Villasenor vs. Santos bout was scheduled to be part of the event’s five-fight telecast on Showtime. The main event features Frank Shamrock defending his Strikeforce middleweight championship against contender Cung Le.

Other televised bouts include Gilbert Melendez defending his Strikeforce lightweight belt against Gabe Lemley, Jake Shields vs. Drew Fickett for the first EliteXC welterweight title, and Nick Diaz fighting Spirit MC champion Jae Suk Lim.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   3/21/08 3:49:01PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:
Damn, that sucks...

Post #2   3/21/08 3:56:15PM   

xposipx

go vegan

xposipx Avatar

Career:2,732-1,514
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Sort of, I was having trouble picking it actually. I had picked Joey V and was sticking with it though.

Post #3   3/21/08 4:33:39PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
I Had Satnos 100%, thought this was up for one of the Fights of the Night. dang

Post #4   3/22/08 3:26:25PM   

nwowolfpack

MMA Regular

nwowolfpack Avatar

Career:403-346
Camp: PunchDrunkGamer
Chips:

Afromowitz was unsure why there were delays in the issuance of Santos’ visa, but the promotion had to make the determination to move forward with another opponent and not risk losing the bout altogether.

Cyborg is not the only fighter having these issues from government but he should be fighting on the Playboy Mansion Card for Strikeforce in June.

Post #5   3/23/08 3:49:31AM