Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

CANADA?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Career:1,027-563
Chips:
so the GSP serra debate goes on and on , but i havn't read much about how you guys think them facing each other in Canada will have an impact on the fight.
The thing Gsp has begged the ufc for the most (besides a title shot), was a fight in canada.
Now he gets his chance, as a challanger for the belt. For him it must be a dream situation.
But serra has said fighting in canada is ufc history, and he is pumped to be on the min event there. He claims he'd rather fight there than vegas. (maybe he's just trying to make the best of it?)
alot of people in other sports think having home court advantage is huge.....how do you think it impacts fighters?

Post #1   3/20/08 12:08:02PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Good thread dude, i think it will have a HUGE bearing on the outcome, either really good or really bad, having your dream fight in from of hometown fans can either be a blessing or a curse, Swick said there was no way he would lose to Okami in front of his hometown fans, i dont think it had much bearing on the fight but it surely adds pressure, and theres enough of that already imo

Serra should be cool with it, i dont see any Boo Boys bothering him at all

Post #2   3/20/08 1:22:56PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Yea Cornish pretty much summed it up it can either be the best night of GSP's life of the worst. Everyone gave him a pass on the first Serra fight but if he blows this shot in front of his hometown fans idc who you are thats going to break a guy mentally. I personally feel that GSP is a better fighter than Matt Serra and believe he will win. I do however wish this fight was not in canada as it could destroy any chance GSP has of regaining the title while Serra holds it.

Now with that said I don't think Serra can hold the title for very long in the division. If he beats GSP I see him then dropping the title to a Fitch or a Karo soon after but the mentality of GSP in this fight has got to be far beyond anything we ourselves can grasp. I mean this fight means everything to this guy and he's going to be going out there looking to not make mistakes and usually when you try not to make mistakes you usually make them.I'm behind GSP 100% in this fight and hope he wins as Serra is not my favorite person but to say Serra can't win for myself is naive as he has already done it once and of course he can do it again. I guess the only thing left to do is fight and let the cards fall where they will.

This is probably the Defining moment in GSP's fighting life though and we will wait and see how the outcome which ever way effects him for the future.

Post #3   3/20/08 1:33:36PM   

ultimateweapon

MMA Regular

ultimateweapon Avatar

Career:330-191
Chips:
Your right the home town thing can either pump up a fighter so much that there is no way he's letting anyone beat him or it can put so much pressure on him and cause him to choke. But I don't see Gsp choking.

We have seen how much better GSP gets after a loss Example after Hughes beat him he came back and owned him twice. Serra better be prepared.

Post #4   3/20/08 2:52:08PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
While everything i said is true the question of whether GSP can mentally step up should have already been answered!

The parallel with GSP Hughes 2 is very strong imo. The 1st loss is quite similar to the Serra loss, the fave/dog monikers were swapped around but it was still a mistake that lost him the fight. I see him coming into the fight just like he did with Hughes and dominating Serra

Post #5   3/20/08 4:57:59PM   

LuketheDuke

Barred from Forum

LuketheDuke Avatar

Career:1,043-603
Camp: Jersey Ave Camp
Chips:
GSP has all of the pressure on him. He is expected to win (by most people) and that will be a very heavy burden, not to mention fighting in his own country. Serra is the heavy underdog and everyone (once again by everyone I mean most people) thinks he is going to get run through. There's not nearly as much pressure on him as there is on GSP. Despite all of this, I still believe that GSP will pull through the pressure and come out with a victory. . .the man is a beast!

Post #6   3/20/08 7:41:16PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
I just hope its not another Rich Franklin situation....I think in MMA fighting in front of friends and family ands alot more pressure than people think. It's the fighters that rise above the pressure that become legends and I think GSP is just that....

Post #7   3/21/08 5:23:47AM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Chips:
are you talking about rich fighting anderson in ohio? b/c that fight could have taken place on the moon and anderson still would have dominated.

Post #8   3/21/08 12:20:37PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

I recommend to watch the Bisping-Hamill fight and see how the "Home Advantage" didn't help the fighters but yet it influenced the judges .

I've been praying to the Gods of the Olympus for every single fight in the Canada Card to finish before the 5:00 mark on the third(and 5th) rounds.

Post #9   3/21/08 12:42:17PM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:

Posted by MFOTHER

are you talking about rich fighting anderson in ohio? b/c that fight could have taken place on the moon and anderson still would have dominated.

Very Very true...

Post #10   3/21/08 3:36:40PM   

MFOTHER

In Full Mount

MFOTHER Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Ordep

I recommend to watch the Bisping-Hamill fight and see how the "Home Advantage" didn't help the fighters but yet it influenced the judges .

I've been praying to the Gods of the Olympus for every single fight in the Canada Card to finish before the 5:00 mark on the third(and 5th) rounds.

good call..........that had to be the worst ruling in ufc history......but of all the possibilities in serra gsp 2, a decision is the least likely imo..........but then again that'd be a hell of a fight....

Post #11   3/22/08 12:30:55AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
I do agrea that all the presure is on GSP but i think thts what he needs right right now. If he wins (i mean when he wins but don't want to jinxs it) his mental game will not longer be in question which by the way am tired of hearing about, plus he will know deep inside that nothing can stop him. Can t wait to see that card man its gonna be sweeeeeeeeet!

Post #12   3/22/08 4:00:56PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
IMO, if fighting in your home town creates too much pressure, then you are in trouble from the get go. I can't think of any fighter that has stated that fighting in their home town/state put pressure on them. If anything I think they'll be more relaxed.

I'm attending a conference in Berlin this summer and if I end up doing a talk, I know that I'll be more nervous than than the talks I have given in Toronto (or even the US for that matter).

For me, the further from home I am, the further from my comfort zone I am. I'm banking on it being similar for most people (fighters or not).

Post #13   3/24/08 12:15:03PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
i think this is great for Serra. it puts all of the pressure on the homtown boy to win. Serra just needs to get past the boos and sub GSp to get it over with.............then withstand another barage of BOOOOOOOOS

Post #14   3/25/08 12:11:57AM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
i think gsp is so focused on the task at hand that the hometown crowd will fire him up but not interfere with what he has to do. he has rebounded remarkably in the past from a loss and i dont think this will be any different. but we will see

Post #15   3/25/08 3:19:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2