Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

royce gracie

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
When you think of the name Royce Gracie you think ufc 1,2,3,4 and 5. When i first saw this guy sweep the mma world, i was amazed having never trained in mma myself and seen too many van damme / steven seagul movies. Ju jitsu took me by surprise, Royce is and always will be the first ultimate fighter who has world recognition for being a fighting idol. But after his un-impressive comeback at the pride grand prix where he was humiliated by the great sakiraba, I couldn't help but to think that the Gracie style was only invented for a short period.

By this i mean, after this sport MMA evolved from a style vs style contest, People got good in all area's of martial arts, cross-training etc. The gracies knew that their style would almost out class any striking martial arts therefor they would become famous from challenge matches against kung fu and karate.

Thats why in the early UFC days Rorion had the power as UFC owner to put royce against all the strikers, in order to win each fight. By UFC 5 Ken Shamrock had studied Royce and the Gracie style so they fought to a draw as Royce had no way of beating ken. Soon after that the Gracie fighters began to loose fights and become beatable because all fighters were trained in all area's of martial arts to compete with any style.

I seriously do believe that Royce retiered after UFC 5 to protect his unbeaten record in order to keep the Gracie name as a labelled unbeatable style.
As we all know, now that MMA is here instead of the old style fights, Royce and the Gracies are Human and their style is beatable.

Any thoughts ???

Post #1   2/20/07 6:00:21PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Royce is one of the most famous fighters in MMA today. He showed us what Jiu Jitsu can do and that submissions are esential for MMA. However, now that MMA has evolved and people know how to defend submissions, we can see what kind of an impact he would have had on the sport if he would have came in later. I have ALOT of respect for Royce not only did he fight people twice his size he beat them easily and helped MMA explode in North America. The Gracie's are the most famous name in MMA and Royce will always be remembered as the champ of the first UFC events.

Post #2   2/20/07 6:28:16PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
No one eles fancy ago on this one, i guess your all hard core gracie fans right ????

Im the real giant killer !!!!

Post #3   2/22/07 4:04:02PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Royce is to BJJ as Dan Was to Wrestling.
they were both great in their day and have influenced the styles of others tothis day. BJJ still has a big part in MMA. Look at Frank Mir. That guy swept through the UFC HW divsion cuz it was all strikers.

Post #4   2/22/07 4:11:53PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Royce was perfect for his time in MMA, but then as guys like Bas Rutten and Don Frye started coming around (first two fighters that popped into my head that I believe were at the forefront of cross-training in contrasting styles) the Gracie's time had past...

Royce Gracie and the Gracie family will always be known as pioneers of the sport. Nothing can ever take that away from them, but as apose to having that unbeatable style, they are now more visibly one sided then the majority of the competition.

Post #5   2/22/07 4:11:55PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
Your right, they always will be known for bringing ju jitsu to the world but i hate the way the gracies still claim that their style is the best and always will be. They hardly win convincinly these days, even the new generation are feeling the competition as theres no longer style vs style anymore. Isnt it time royce and his brothers who are still competing retire and let the new wave of gracie fighters come through with a bit more respect for the mma fighters around today.

Look at my right hand, jo son had it whack him in the ball bag so i could win the fight with him !! Im proud of that !!

Post #6   2/22/07 4:22:51PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
I am not sure of the cultural differences but the Gracie's seem to come from an aspect of Brazilian culture that is steeped in pride for ones' self and ones' family... I honestly think that is where a lot of the GracieJJ is the best / Gracie Challenge and the like...

I will give props to some folks that are game to throw down with anyone if they talk smack about their family name... There's a certain pugilist honour to it, and it is after all a part of their family tradition...

I don't think that we will see any fighters retire while there is still money to be made, and I can't blame them for that... But I don't think they will stand in the way of the likes of Roger Gracie rising through the ranks of the MMA world.

Post #7   2/22/07 4:29:35PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Royce was perfect for his time in MMA, but then as guys like Bas Rutten and Don Frye started coming around (first two fighters that popped into my head that I believe were at the forefront of cross-training in contrasting styles) the Gracie's time had past...

Royce Gracie and the Gracie family will always be known as pioneers of the sport. Nothing can ever take that away from them, but as apose to having that unbeatable style, they are now more visibly one sided then the majority of the competition.

I wuld add Franks shamrock ( jerk that he now is IMo)tothe list of the first really crosstrained well known fighter. Ken too, but Franks surpassed him to me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #8   2/22/07 4:34:25PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
I couldnt understand frank mirs style of jj. He took all his fights to the mat up until he foght marcio cruz. He said in his pre fight interview that he didnt want to grapple with cruz, he got tko'd on the mat ? I thought his game was jj, i know cruz'z is jj but mir has no stand up skills !! ????

Post #9   2/22/07 4:44:41PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

I couldnt understand frank mirs style of jj. He took all his fights to the mat up until he foght marcio cruz. He said in his pre fight interview that he didnt want to grapple with cruz, he got tko'd on the mat ? I thought his game was jj, i know cruz'z is jj but mir has no stand up skills !! ????

I dont know if Wes 'The Project' Simms would agree with you...

With that being said, I think he just realized that he was outmatched against PDP on the ground so tried to go about it a different way...

Obviously didn't work out for him...

Post #10   2/22/07 4:54:33PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
wes sims walked into mirs hand, they were both gassed in that fight.
do you know if monsoon is soon to face fedor or is it just a rumour ??

Post #11   2/22/07 4:59:29PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
No, Fedor turned it down. Didn't think Monson was worthy I think.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #12   2/22/07 5:13:51PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by keith-hackney1

wes sims walked into mirs hand, they were both gassed in that fight.
do you know if monsoon is soon to face fedor or is it just a rumour ??

I was just poking a little fun when I brought up Simms, I think Mir did land a solid knee that was the beginning of the end of that fight...

I think that Fedor is fighting Matt Lindland instead of Monson, though... If I'm not mistaken, I beleive the Snowman might be fighting AleksE. on the same BoDog fight card. I think there might be a thread on it in the 'other orgs' forum...

Post #13   2/22/07 5:14:27PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
He aint worthy, he just lost to the greatest ufc hw champ mr poo silvia !

I think "I" the giant killer "keith hackney" should come out of retirement at the sweet age of 51 and kick some ass in the hw ufc division. My kempo strikes and sprawl defense is second to none. I could fight silvia and punch the lanky mother right between his legs, Then i could keep hitting him till he drops like emanuelle yarborough !! I'll have to make sure tim's chewing gum first, before i drop him !!!!

Post #14   2/22/07 5:35:29PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Chips:
I know you were poking, so was i. I dont like either fighter really, frank could of been great if he'd stayed away from fast bikes.
Explain bodog to me ? i've heard alot bout this show but here in england, yesterdays news was two months ago to you guys. Where has bodog arrived, formed and who's in it ??

P.s... This is me "keith the giant killer hackney" with my two sons, jerome and kazushi"the polar penguin" varlans hackney.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #15   2/22/07 5:46:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2