Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cung Le Undettered by Frank Shamrock's Head Games

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Today's media conference call for a March 29 Strikeforce/EliteXC event, which features a headline bout between Strikeforce world middleweight champ Frank Shamrock (24-8-1) and undefeated challenger Cung Le (5-0), featured a lot of talk about strategy.

How much of it anyone really believes is a whole 'nother matter.

After all, when Shamrock (a famed submission fighter) said he plans to stand and trade with Le (a decorated San Shou kickboxer), few believed him -- Le chief among them.

"I have that much confidence (in my striking)," he said. "I don't think he's prepared for striking in an MMA fight."

Of Shamrock's 24 career victories, you can count on one hand that number that have ended via strikes.

That's why Le was naturally a little skeptical of his opponent's proposed game plan.

"I think it's a big smokescreen," Le said, with a hint of bemusement in his voice. "He's a very intelligent fighter... He'll try to get in my mind and get it in my head that he'll strike.

"But I'm also an intelligent fighter... I don't really believe him."

Regardless of his game plan, Shamrock predicts a quick finish.

"If Cung le runs from me, I think it'll last a while because it'll take some time to run him down," Shamrock said. "I don't think it'll go long, though... I want it over quick.

"My wife is pregnant, and I want to get home in case it pops out."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   3/18/08 5:37:50PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

"My wife is pregnant, and I want to get home in case it pops out."

classless!

Post #2   3/18/08 5:42:45PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Shamrock will win, unless is cocky ass will stand for all 5 rounds. Cung Le is a stand up MACHINE. those side kicks, spinning kicks etc look like they hurt. if its on the ground. well most of us have seen his last fight, when he did the takedown(i think some type of trip or wizard) and was flopping around like a fish outta water. he had no clue what too do, he just sat there. now if he doesn't know what too do from side mount, wtf is he going too do off his back?

Shamrock via Round 1 Sub

Post #3   3/18/08 6:41:11PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Shamrock will win, unless is cocky ass will stand for all 5 rounds. Cung Le is a stand up MACHINE. those side kicks, spinning kicks etc look like they hurt. if its on the ground. well most of us have seen his last fight, when he did the takedown(i think some type of trip or wizard) and was flopping around like a fish outta water. he had no clue what too do, he just sat there. now if he doesn't know what too do from side mount, wtf is he going too do off his back?

Shamrock via Round 1 Sub

seriously what the hell is frank thinkin tryin to stand with cung lee. cung lee has been doin that his whole life is freakin amazin at it too as frank has been sub ppl his whole life way risk gettin koed when u could just sub him, sure test ur stand for a lil but then take him down when u start losin cause he wont when a stand up match

Post #4   3/18/08 6:55:57PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
It's good to see Cung Le calm and realizing Frank is just trying to play head games with him. Everyone in this world that is a MMA fan knows Frank doesn't want to stand with Le. Le to me seems like a cool dude. But, I'm still going to be picking Frank because of course he's got the experience.

Post #5   3/19/08 2:37:34PM   

Aries2343

MMA Regular

Aries2343 Avatar

Career:621-418
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
Shamrocks a moron... and if any of the recent happenings last month wasn't a big enough of a hint... The Shamrocks are all washed up.... He looked horrible on the ground his last couple fights... besides when he choked out Baroni*classic* but we all know Shamrock hasn't been the same grappler sense he took that long break from mma. Plus if he wants to stand with Le... he'll be the one kissin the canvas... or holding his liver screaming like Sam Morgan:). Le is a scary striker and know how to take a punch, just I pray he made the trip up to Stockton to train with Cezar Gracie like he should and learn a little bit of grappling... Not a lot, but at least a little just so he can fend off he should be okay.

Post #6   3/19/08 8:16:38PM