Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Is More "Free Agent" Than You Think

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Despite the announcement of an agreement last October between Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 Global, the deal was never signed, a source close to both camps told Sherdog.com.
The Russian heavyweight's only agreement with the company -- according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity -- came in the form of a letter of intent.

The return of a $1.5 million signing bonus paid by M-1 Global to Emelianenko is the only hurdle to the former Pride champion's potential free agency. That should be remedied this week, the source said.

M-1 Global CEO Monte Cox declined to comment.

Once Emelianenko is clear of his M-1 obligations he is expected to field offers from several MMA promotions. The early leader, according to the same source, comes from the purported partnership between Affliction and Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, which Sherdog.com has learned could debut on June 28.

"Right now we don't have any comments," Golden Boy Promotions Public Relations Director Romiro Gonzalez told Sherdog.com. "[Oscar] is in the sports business. He is loading up on all the fields, especially boxing. We're moving into soccer, MLS. There is nothing official we can say."

This is pathetic to the point of satire. That M-1 and Monte Cox would go through the motions of trotting out in front of press conferences and the free world arguably the biggest fighter in the sport without a contract is beyond amateurish. I believe Dana White when he says Fedor's people are hard to deal with, which makes a lack of a contract to secure Fedor's services mind blowing.

What this means for a potential Couture vs. Fedor match is anyone's guess, but what is clear is that the idea M-1 can reasonably compete with the UFC anywhere besides Russia is absurd. Their marquee fighter has no contract and the infighting causes promotional paralysis. It's a good thing Monte Cox didn't quit his job as an agent because it's likely going to be the only job he has very soon.

LINK

Post #1   3/18/08 4:54:31PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

This is pathetic to the point of satire. That M-1 and Monte Cox would go through the motions of trotting out in front of press conferences and the free world arguably the biggest fighter in the sport without a contract is beyond amateurish. I believe Dana White when he says Fedor's people are hard to deal with, which makes a lack of a contract to secure Fedor's services mind blowing.

LINK

couldnt agree more

Post #2   3/18/08 4:57:46PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I hope Dream finds a way to sign him as it only helps the sport if all the best fighters in the world aren't signed to one organization. I would like to see Fedor in Dream and then hopefully he can fight Cro Cop again, Kharitonov, Barnett and Couture there. I have no idea what Golden Boy Promotions is planning for their organization.

Post #3   3/18/08 5:12:52PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by coldchillin

I hope Dream finds a way to sign him as it only helps the sport if all the best fighters in the world aren't signed to one organization. I would like to see Fedor in Dream and then hopefully he can fight Cro Cop again, Kharitonov, Barnett and Couture there. I have no idea what Golden Boy Promotions is planning for their organization.

But i wouldn't mind if the UFC managed to sign him

Post #4   3/18/08 5:40:08PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
For the love of god please sign with the UFC and not any upstart promotions..I wouldnt be sad if he signed with DREAM cause I'd like to see him and CC Rematch..But still The ufc has more to offer as far as top fighters at HW no matter how thin you think the division is..Or sign somewhere where he can fight Barnett at least..

Post #5   3/18/08 5:44:02PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Be ready for some big changes to how MMA fighters are signed, promoted, and managed in the next few years.

Fighters like Fedor, Randy, and other top fighters are going to quit signing exclusive to orgs. and just make the fights they want to fight. It will be just like in boxing. I'm not at all sure that it's good for the sport, isn't that something we all hate about boxing?
On the other hand, mma fighters are getting screwed compared to other professional athletes. If the UFC wants to become "The" league, it needs to take a look at other professional sports.

Post #6   3/18/08 6:23:59PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Be ready for some big changes to how MMA fighters are signed, promoted, and managed in the next few years.

Fighters like Fedor, Randy, and other top fighters are going to quit signing exclusive to orgs. and just make the fights they want to fight. It will be just like in boxing. I'm not at all sure that it's good for the sport, isn't that something we all hate about boxing?
On the other hand, mma fighters are getting screwed compared to other professional athletes. If the UFC wants to become "The" league, it needs to take a look at other professional sports.

This is what I want to see but it is really far from becoming real. Having the different MMA org working the same way as the boxing ones (eg. WBA,WBO) would be really great and will result in more $$$$ for the fighters and REAL unified champions.

But you'll need:
-UFC agreeing to be part of this (will never happen)
-Unified Rules
-Ring or Cage, the final decision should be made.
-Big promoters

And of course this might results in few events. Anyways if this happens I'll be really happy so all the crap between organizations and bla bla bla bla will be cut off, fighters would be seen as independent units (as they are!) and not as a UFC or PRIDE or KOTC fighter.

Post #7   3/18/08 7:01:41PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Chips:
WOW now all those people saying Dana messed up by not signing Fedor see that no one really signed him and M-1 was a company that his own manager was the VP of. I don't think any company that wasn't really despite would have went for just a letter of intent.

You know people want to say this hole no contracts is good but it really isn't and that because MMA isn't ready for boxing style promotions. This is one of the things really killing boxing. Under boxing style promotions you can forget having 25-30 shows a year with top fighters. The problem is MMA needs a governing body so all fights are under it. That way the best are truly fighting the best. The best candidate right now is the UFC and I'm not saying that just because I like the UFC but they control the largest stable of top fights by a huge margin compared to any other org. They also have a proven brand name. The only thing they are lacking is a TV deal with major network which I think we will see that change in a month or two.

Last edited 3/18/08 7:56PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   3/18/08 7:56:37PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
As for this "Boxing is dying" thing... don't believe the hype, Boxing had one of it's best years ever last year for their PPV buys. I know the recent Pacquiao-Marquez had a ton of buys and the Cotto-Judah fight was very surprising in how well it did in the numbers. So it's more than just Mayweather fights inflating the good numbers Boxing did last year... there were a ton of good fights from the elite to the club-level fighters.

Post #9   3/18/08 9:10:00PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Chips:

Posted by coldchillin

As for this "Boxing is dying" thing... don't believe the hype, Boxing had one of it's best years ever last year for their PPV buys. I know the recent Pacquiao-Marquez had a ton of buys and the Cotto-Judah fight was very surprising in how well it did in the numbers. So it's more than just Mayweather fights inflating the good numbers Boxing did last year... there were a ton of good fights from the elite to the club-level fighters.

No I don't think boxing is dying either but I do think it was having major issues and it still does. Boxing almost died off because of people like Don King and many other issues but boxing numbers are up in the US because of one thing and thats MMA. Boxings number were in the toilet till MMA took off and once it did boxing numbers grew greatly along with MMAs numbers. Large number of the people who like MMA also enjoy boxing as well so you could say MMA saved boxing. Thats kind of funny to because most your old school boxing people do nothing but bash MMA.

Post #10   3/19/08 3:26:25AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,434-1,251
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

yeah sure, we'll see fighters sign non-exclusive contracts with an organization like the UFC as soon as that fighter pony's up all of the money for every single promotional aspect of their likeness rather than the organization paying to promote them.

AKA not happening.

Post #11   3/19/08 5:07:00AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
I'll have to see it to believe it.

Post #12   3/26/08 2:45:27AM