Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Koppenhaver vs Yoshida UFC 84

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
http://mmajunkie.com/news/3953/koppenhaver-vs-yoshida-added-to-ufc-84.mma

The Ultimate Fighter 6" cast member John Koppenhaver (5-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will face UFC newcomer and Shooto vet Yoshiyuki Yoshida (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 84, the organization today announced.

Koppenhaver will return to the octagon for the first time since his stunning third-round TKO of Jared Rollins at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale in December. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported that he'd compete at UFC 84 earlier this month.

UFC 84 takes place May 24 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nev. UFC lightweight champ B.J. Penn meets former champ Sean Sherk in the night's main event.

Koppenhaver joined "The Ultimate Fighter 6" as a replacement for an injured Roman Mitichyan. In a bloody bout that appeared to have eventual show runner-up Tommy Speer on the verge of tapping, Koppenhaver suffered a unanimous-decision loss in the show's opening round and was knocked out of the competition.

Just prior to the bout, Koppenhaver said it might be his last fight ever in MMA. However, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com just after the episode aired, the fighter said it was just his usual pre-fighter jitters.

He had a triumphant return at the show's live finale and earned Fight of the Night and Knockout of the Night bonuses with his victory.

Koppenhaver was recently sentenced to three years probation, was been forced to pay $2,300 restitution, and had to serve 30 days of community service stemming from a September arrest. In December Koppenhaver pleaded guilty to felony assault for choking and punching a man outside his San Diego training center, but the judge decided to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor -- partially at the urging of the case's victim, who said he didn't want to ruin Koppenhaver's UFC career.

With a fresh start, he'll now take on Yoshida, who signed with the UFC back in January.

Yoshida has competed primarily for Cage Force and Shooto, and now owns an eight-fight win streak (with six of the victories coming by way of knockout). The ground-and-pound fighter was the first-ever welterweight tournament winner for the Japanese-based Cage Force organization.

In addition to Koppenhaver vs. Yoshida, UFC.com today confirmed our previously reported UFC 84 fight between Jason Tan and Dong Hyun Kim.

MAIN CARD
Champ B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk
Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva
Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz
Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic
Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes

PRELIMINARY CARD
Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Terry Etim vs. Jeremy Stephens
Shane Carwin vs. Christian Wellisch
Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry
John Koppenhaver vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
Dong-Hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan

Post #1   3/18/08 3:17:22PM   

chubbud22

In Full Mount

chubbud22 Avatar

Career:642-418
Chips:
Good card but I think soku needs to be on the main card

Post #2   3/18/08 3:21:43PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I'm telling you they need to make Wilson Gouveia vs. Thiago Silva so they each have meaningful fights and make Goran Reljic vs. Antonio Mendes to move it to the undercard to make room for War Machines fight since he deserves a main card spot for the war he just had and the effort he gave against Tommy Speer.

Will be a tough fight by War Machine is a tough guy and since I'm a big fan I'll go with War Machine with the upset! Just don't know how he will win just yet.

Post #3   3/18/08 3:36:05PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I'm telling you they need to make Wilson Gouveia vs. Thiago Silva so they each have meaningful fights and make Goran Reljic vs. Antonio Mendes to move it to the undercard to make room for War Machines fight since he deserves a main card spot for the war he just had and the effort he gave against Tommy Speer.

Will be a tough fight by War Machine is a tough guy and since I'm a big fan I'll go with War Machine with the upset! Just don't know how he will win just yet.

I agree, that Wilson and Thiago have virtually meaningless fights. Yet, I've heard great things about Goran and if he takes him lightly he could be in for a rude awakening...However, with that said I am still going to pick Wilson to win.

Last edited 3/18/08 4:04PM server time by wolfman
Edit note/reason: Stupid mistake :)

Post #4   3/18/08 3:54:07PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
this yoshida guy has a pretty impressive resume, war machine is going to have his hands full, in fact im picking yoshida to win.

Post #5   3/18/08 6:07:08PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
I too have stressed that both Wilson and Thiago fight eachother while Goran and Mendez fight eachother on the undercard.

Also, Koppenhaver gave Tommy a hell of a match, infact I agve the first roudn to War Machine...figured it would have gone to a third...but I guess he who finishes strong looks good in front of the judges. In reality War Machine had Tommy in the choke for 3 minutes of round one, and then Tommy reversed and blasted War Machine with punches for the remaining two minutes.

It was close, War Machine gave Tommy a good right hand that cut Tommy open, followed by a good double leg takedown...this was also the only damage he did to Tommy in the entire fight...for the next three minutes War controlled Tommy's back and worked the choke...this should have been enough to give him the round...but Tommy technically did more damage in the first round with his two minutes ground in pound...but still just based on criteria alone...War did more physical damge to Tommy, and controled Tommy for the majority of the match.

But then again Tommy dominated the next round...War didn't look like he could go a third...thats what swayed the judges.

War Machine also holds the record of any Tufer for earning the most money in their octagon debut...1600 to win, 30 thousand KO bonus, 30 Thousand Fight of the Night Bonus...76 grand.

Post #6   3/18/08 6:09:23PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Chips:
Oh I predict that War Machine will win if he can get his head in the game. Yoshiyuki lost to K-taro who lost to Rob Emmerson of all people...so, yea...**** Emmerson.

Post #7   3/18/08 6:12:08PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Oh I predict that War Machine will win if he can get his head in the game. Yoshiyuki lost to K-taro who lost to Rob Emmerson of all people...so, yea...**** Emmerson.

Way to use MMA math ...

Post #8   3/18/08 8:29:43PM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Chips:
Yea I know...but meh...w/e

Post #9   3/18/08 8:39:47PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
yoshida also beat akira kikuchi, who is a pretty damn good welterweight.

Post #10   3/18/08 8:53:47PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
Gotta go with War Machine on this one. Anyone who is willing to brawl with him is giving him a good chance to win. Thats probably why J. Silva picked Yoshida to fight him. He's big, strong, has a lot of energy, and some good GnP. Expect him to come out guns-a-blazin'. TKO, R1, WM.

Post #11   3/19/08 10:18:20AM   

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

this yoshida guy has a pretty impressive resume, war machine is going to have his hands full, in fact im picking yoshida to win.

Thanks for posting that nick.
That should help a lot. Most people don't know who Yoshida is.

Post #12   3/19/08 1:30:42PM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Way to use MMA math ...

But thats NOT mma math?!!?!?
He is saying he lost to a guy who recently didnt look that great so its conceievable he wont look that great, its not the same as saying TK beat Fedor so he would beat Cro Cop

Post #13   3/20/08 7:07:06AM   

thehxeclosetcanadian

Learning to Sprawl

thehxeclosetcanadian Avatar

Career:1,162-807
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
This one is a toughy for me personally. Yoshida is an excellent fighter and is more skilled than Koppenhaver. The thing is, I am a huge fan of Koppenhaver now after that banging match he put on with Rollins! If Koppenhaver is taking his training seriously, we could see one helluva match!

Post #14   3/29/08 7:29:32AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
should be a great fight, wish it was a main card bout, but right now it is a toss up, i heard good things about yoshida but you even though he has fought in a cage before he might get the ufc jitters

Post #15   3/29/08 11:19:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2