Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ohio's Weigh-In Rules

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Zvonimir

I think Sylvia will be ok, I'm most worried about a lighter fighter like Hughes, who cuts a higher percentage of his body weight, than a guy like Sylvia. I hope someone can find out if they are waiving this rule, or if it will be enforced.

Excellent point I would be much more worried about the smaller fighter's % wise also. As for Sylvia I'm sure he said in an interview when he's not training he's near 300 lbs. Now if you mean walking around whilre training that's a whole different story.280-285 would seem much more plausible to me, but I only heard him mention when he wasn't training. He did profess a love of donut's, so I beleive him.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   2/20/07 9:27:12PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I hope this doesn't pose a problem to any fighters. Also, is this rule around in a lot of states? This is the first time I've heard this rule.

Post #17   2/20/07 10:09:17PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I've heard of it being discussed, don't know which states though. I only know is doesn't apply in CA and NV right now.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #18   2/20/07 10:11:15PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,799-1,099
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
285 you're still talking a 20lb cut and then somehow having to stay within 9 pounds of 265....weighins usually are around 6-7pm so depending on when you weigh in again; you're either talking about constantly making sure you're under or at that +9lbs OR you're talking about sleeping and having to cut the day of a championship fight? That's not a healthy mix for a huge fight.

Randy on the other hand doesn't really have to cut at all and shouldn't have much of a problem maintaining that weight.

Post #19   2/20/07 10:28:54PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
That rule is ridiculous. If they want to have a rule like that, it shouldbe based on a percentage of their official weigh-in. Less weight allowance for smaller fighters and more for the heavies. If Tim is cutting 10% water weight, that is 26.5 lbs. He can then only gain 1/3 of that back. Where as a fighter like Sherk can cut 15.5 lbs of water and gain back almost 60% of that. Now, that is a huge discrepency! I would much rather have them weigh in once, wether it is the day of or day before.

As far as gaining 20lbs, in a day, I don't think that would be a shock for someone the size of Tim. Back in my wrestling days, I would weigh 103lbs Saturdays mornings and be pushing 112lbs Sarturday nights for the finals and 115lbs on Mondays with no ill effects.

Post #20   2/21/07 11:48:07PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

That rule is ridiculous. If they want to have a rule like that, it shouldbe based on a percentage of their official weigh-in. Less weight allowance for smaller fighters and more for the heavies. If Tim is cutting 10% water weight, that is 26.5 lbs. He can then only gain 1/3 of that back. Where as a fighter like Sherk can cut 15.5 lbs of water and gain back almost 60% of that. Now, that is a huge discrepency! I would much rather have them weigh in once, wether it is the day of or day before.

As far as gaining 20lbs, in a day, I don't think that would be a shock for someone the size of Tim. Back in my wrestling days, I would weigh 103lbs Saturdays mornings and be pushing 112lbs Sarturday nights for the finals and 115lbs on Mondays with no ill effects.

I agree. If a rule like this is around it should be based on either weight class or percentage of body weight.

Post #21   2/21/07 11:59:45PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I like it. While it might need some tweeking, I don't like knowing that the 170lb champ says he can walk into a fight close to 190lb. I think two weigh ins while allowing for some discrepency is a better way to hold true weight classes, and the reason it was instituted. This might sound overboard, but I think a fighter should be able to step on a scale or pee in a cup on his way in or out of said fight knowing that at any moment he is within whatever guidelines he is given when he signs for the fight.

Post #22   2/22/07 12:13:07AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I think the rules should be universal in all states more than anything

The Iron Code

Post #23   2/22/07 12:18:01AM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Chips:
I got to thinking this morning; the UFC cut off is 265 for the heavyweight division....so does that mean for both weighins Tim HAS to stay under that? Ohio allows 9 lbs over but will the UFC let him go over that weight?

Post #24   2/22/07 2:16:12PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by JoeMimic

I got to thinking this morning; the UFC cut off is 265 for the heavyweight division....so does that mean for both weighins Tim HAS to stay under that? Ohio allows 9 lbs over but will the UFC let him go over that weight?

I don't really know what the ruling would be, other than it being a non-title bout. I do, however, think if a champ shows up for a defense and can't make weight they should forfeit the belt and ppv bonuses. I never excuse a fighter for not making weight, but when you're a champ? Course I think Tim'd be smart enough to fake an injury.

Post #25   2/22/07 4:38:36PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Chips:
I think anyway you cut it for Tim (either having to stay at 265 or under or within 9 lbs for the 2nd weigh-in) is not a good situation for him.

Post #26   2/22/07 4:41:10PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Rich Franklin and Jason Macdonald are going to have the most problems. Macdonald is 6'3. He can be easly 20+ pounds over weight by the next day. Even Rich is going to heavely over weight. I don't think I like this 9 pound rule. It can jepordize the fighters safety because they won't be completely hydrated. Just for this event, the UFC should of had the fighters fight at upperweight classes, expecially Rich and Jason. But I guess we'll have to see how Ohio inforces this rule.

Post #27   2/22/07 10:19:18PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
This better be waived or else it could hurt a lot of fighters.

Post #28   2/22/07 10:51:45PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I like it. While it might need some tweeking, I don't like knowing that the 170lb champ says he can walk into a fight close to 190lb. I think two weigh ins while allowing for some discrepency is a better way to hold true weight classes, and the reason it was instituted. This might sound overboard, but I think a fighter should be able to step on a scale or pee in a cup on his way in or out of said fight knowing that at any moment he is within whatever guidelines he is given when he signs for the fight.

The fighters have signed onto the fight knowing this rule, so they have to abide by it. I think there should be some discussion as to how weigh-ins are implemented. Where do you draw the line? In the extreme, some would have a fighter weigh-in 1 month before and in the consequent weeks leading up to the fight? I don't think many would agree with that.

There are all kinds of safety rules for wrestlers weighing-in from college down through Junior High. These are needed for the safety of the wrestlers. However, these are professional fighters, grown men, if they want to cut a lot of weight, it is their choice. They are free from many of the the pressures of a coach that young athletes may face. They have their own pressures, but they are grown and can make the decision how they see fit.

There are so many variables. Should the fighter be properly hydrated before the weigh-ins? Should he be able to make a second, third, etc... weight throughout the process. I think it is best to eliminate the variables. One weigh-in only would be my choice. I really don't care when the weigh-in is, but I agree with Hippysmacker, in that, these rules should be universal. I don't want a fighter losing or winning a match because of a variance in the rules.

Post #29   2/23/07 2:27:47PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2