Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

SILVA BOXING JONES A STEP CLOSER TO REALITY?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
“I just spoke with Roy Jones’ management and they are very interested in it. They think it would break all kinds of pay-per-view records. It all kind of started as a dream of Anderson’s, but if the UFC would back it, it is something that we really would like to pursue.”

Jones’ management indicated that this could be a fight that would bring together the fractured factions of boxing and mixed martial arts. “They think it will actually bring together the boxing and MMA communities,” said Soares...

LINK

Post #1   3/12/08 7:12:05PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,805-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Not sure if Dana would let this happen.

Silva would be out 6-8 months from the ufc at least.

Post #2   3/12/08 7:22:17PM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

The time he'll miss isn't unreasonable, look at how long it's going to take for somebody to fight for the welterweight title due to the friggin' reality show.

I don't think Dana would allow it to happen simply because he wouldn't want one of his best fighters getting destroyed. Which is what would happen if Silva boxed Jones.

Post #3   3/12/08 7:29:14PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Vendetta

Posted by Pookie

The time he'll miss isn't unreasonable, look at how long it's going to take for somebody to fight for the welterweight title due to the friggin' reality show.

I don't think Dana would allow it to happen simply because he wouldn't want one of his best fighters getting destroyed. Which is what would happen if Silva boxed Jones.

i agree the only way Dana would/ should let this happen is in an MMA fight where Silva would own or a K-1 style fight. boxing a boxing legend isn't the smartest thing to do. i think that if this happened Silva would lose and it would only fuel some of the cynics. if Silva lost this fight it would tarnish MMA imo, at least to the average sports fan.

Post #4   3/12/08 7:36:29PM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Vendetta

Posted by Pookie

i agree the only way Dana would/ should let this happen is in an MMA fight where Silva would own or a K-1 style fight. boxing a boxing legend isn't the smartest thing to do. i think that if this happened Silva would lose and it would only fuel some of the cynics. if Silva lost this fight it would tarnish MMA imo, at least to the average sports fan.

Agreed totally, but only to the average sports fan. The hardcore MMA and boxing fans still know what's up.

Post #5   3/12/08 7:38:08PM   

dust

Banned

Career:453-247
Chips:
RJJ will absolutely rape and embarrass Anderson Silva in straight up boxing.

edit: For any TUF noobs looking to respond and look smart, I know that the opposite is true as well.

Last edited 3/12/08 8:06PM server time by dust
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/12/08 8:04:27PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
Dont these guys all sign a Exclusivity Clause in their contract. So even if Dana wantd to fight him outside of the UFC(yeah right) could he legaly do it.

Post #7   3/12/08 8:05:00PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by dust

edit: For any TUF noobs looking to respond and look smart, I know that the opposite is true as well.

Post #8   3/12/08 8:06:37PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by dust

yeah I have to agree. Anderson Silva's greatest weapons are his knees. He can't use his knees in boxing. Roy Jones has been doing boxing for so long, he'll know how to pick Silva apart. Silva may not get knocked out but he will definitely lose a decision...

Post #9   3/12/08 8:29:41PM   

d_block07

MMA Regular

d_block07 Avatar

Career:150-70
Camp: Team Punishment 2007
Chips:

Posted by Chuteboxer

Posted by dust

yeah I have to agree. Anderson Silva's greatest weapons are his knees. He can't use his knees in boxing. Roy Jones has been doing boxing for so long, he'll know how to pick Silva apart. Silva may not get knocked out but he will definitely lose a decision...

NO. Silva will be KOed. very quickly too. sad to say it

Post #10   3/12/08 9:02:41PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Come on Dana make it happen. I like Anderson alot but Muay Thai's aren't known for great boxing, and Anderson's is pretty good but RJJ would probably make him look very very bad. Although if Anderson somehow pulled it out and won it would be a huuuge huuuuge victory for Dana and MMA.

Post #11   3/12/08 9:09:03PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
This is a boxing match i could get excited for, i always love to see RJJ fight and i love to see anderson silva fight. i dont really care who wins because i thin that no matter how it goes down it will be an awesome fight... both are exciting fighters IMO. not to mention it would answer some of my questions about how good silva's striking really is compared to a boxing legend like Roy, whether he gets knocked out in the first round or makes it competetive for 12 rounds i would like to find out. and as for the cynics if silva loses... bring them on!!! if jones destroys silva then maybe (by some miracle) some boxers will get confident and actually test the waters of MMA

Post #12   3/12/08 9:13:36PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
I'de love to see this. I think Jones woudl take it via Decision but I would still love to see this! And plus, who is he really going to fight at MW in the UFC?

Post #13   3/12/08 9:13:51PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by bls1919

Dont these guys all sign a Exclusivity Clause in their contract. So even if Dana wantd to fight him outside of the UFC(yeah right) could he legaly do it.

I could be wrong, but I think they are exclusive to teh management who can decide to relax the clause or not for their gain. I don't think Dana will tho.

Post #14   3/12/08 10:12:49PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by bls1919

I could be wrong, but I think they are exclusive to teh management who can decide to relax the clause or not for their gain. I don't think Dana will tho.

With Dana's consent, one can fight outside of the UFC. Chuck in the 2003 GP for example.

Post #15   3/12/08 11:06:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2