Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

EliteXC Couldn’t Afford Fedor, Shaw Also has some heated Words for Dana

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
…at least that’s what was implied in WrestlingonTap’s new quickie interview with EliteXC boss Gary Shaw. When Shaw was asked about Emelianenko’s impending free agency, he said:

We would love to have Fedor with our organization. But Fedor and his people need to be realistic about what they are asking for. He hasn’t had a top fight in awhile. He needs to get back to fighting top competition. In the United States out of sight is out of mind.

we have to agree with the underlying message that Fedor Emelianenko’s name only carries weight with hardcore MMA fans, so maybe his management team should actually develop him into a star before they get all prima-donna-y.

Shaw also had some bitter words for his UFC rival, Dana White:

“First of all Dana should be ashamed of using that type of language. There is no reason for it. Dana thinks that he invented the sport of mma. He is very lucky that he had rich friends in the Fertittas to fund the sport…and even more lucky that SpikeTV bailed him out of a $35 million deficit. It’s no wonder that fighters like Tito Ortiz and others are fed up with him. Dana doesn’t care about the fighters and treating them well…

As far as Dana saying that I was never a fan of mixed martial arts, ask him to produce articles or tape on me saying the things he said I said. It can’t happen. I was watching MMA with my son back when Dana was selling used cars…”

Oooooh! That’s the best “I was doing x when you were still doing y” line since Hillary Clinton hit Barack Obama with “I was fighting against those ideas when you were practicing law and representing your contributor, Rezko, in his slum-landlord business in inner-city Chicago.” Who could forget that zinger!

LINK

Last edited 3/12/08 4:56PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/12/08 4:53:58PM   

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
" but were rebuffed by the two-headed demon of Finkelchtein/Echteld who demanded $2 million per fight and a guarantee that he’d never have to face Kimbo Slice."

Wow, just wow... Fedor ducking Kimbo?

Post #2   3/12/08 5:00:50PM   

buryyourdead

MMA Regular

buryyourdead Avatar

Career:383-219
Chips:
Good burn. He didn't get down to Dana's level and attack him as a person. Well maybe a little bit with the used car jab but hey Dana was jus straight up rude in his interview. I think Shaw's a classy guy and it will be very interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years or so. I could easily see Elite being a big threat to the UFC. Sure the UFC is tops right now but how many fighters have told Dana to go **** himself in the past? If Shaw gets the rep that he treats his fighters better everyone will slowly flock over there I think. We shall see though

Post #3   3/12/08 5:21:20PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,973-1,009
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by buryyourdead

Good burn. He didn't get down to Dana's level and attack him as a person. Well maybe a little bit with the used car jab but hey Dana was jus straight up rude in his interview. I think Shaw's a classy guy and it will be very interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years or so. I could easily see Elite being a big threat to the UFC. Sure the UFC is tops right now but how many fighters have told Dana to go **** himself in the past? If Shaw gets the rep that he treats his fighters better everyone will slowly flock over there I think. We shall see though

are you an alien ? Shaw a classy guy ?? Elite/XC a threat to the UFC in 5 years ??

Last edited 3/12/08 6:14PM server time by tuvok500

Post #4   3/12/08 6:12:49PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
I love Gary Shaw.....you can tell by he acts and treats fighters after fights.(hugs and kisses....as where Dana White acts like this holier than thou person who wont get close to you or you'll mess up his suit..

Dana White needs to grow the f*ck up already....seriously..

he needs to remember who he was...and still is at heart...a dork..

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 3/12/08 7:01PM server time by Trapt1nw0nder

Post #5   3/12/08 6:54:17PM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:
I like everything Shaw said about Dana and Fedor. good post

Post #6   3/12/08 7:17:54PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

At least Shaw seems more respectful and really concerned about the SPORT and not just his organization. Of course it's an interview and you can say whatever you want to look good. But that recent interview of Dana saying that they wouldn't go to a major network because they constructed the organization w/o help and bla bla, it's true,nobody it's arguing that the UFC raised the interest for MMA in America but it is not completely everywhere and if you would really like to help the sport itself, a major network is a great opportunity to the people who refer it as "human cock-fighting" or "deathmatches" and so on. Also look at how he responded to the Fedor situation about building it to the american fans and compare it to Dana's words about the "Crazy Russians". Respect and Business are two different things.

Post #7   3/12/08 7:46:41PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
ok i just want to bring this up again with all of this Shaw vs Dana BS. people don't like the way Dana treats the UFC fighters...but to say Shaw does a better job with his fighters is ridiculous. everyone remember the $1 incident??????

Post #8   3/12/08 7:49:21PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:1,973-1,009
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

ok i just want to bring this up again with all of this Shaw vs Dana BS. people don't like the way Dana treats the UFC fighters...but to say Shaw does a better job with his fighters is ridiculous. everyone remember the $1 incident??????

I was going to post it, but yeah the guy seem cool in the cage with his fighter and blablabla but when it is time to pay you it is a different story same as Bodog who are not paying Lindland.

And btw, Dana go in the locker room of every fighters before and after each fight and treat them very well, Shaw just try to show how friendly he is in from of the camera but i prefer a honest guy like Dana who always paid his fighters than a guy like Shaw who tell you good job man , great fight and here your 1$ check try to not blow it to fast !!

Last edited 3/12/08 8:20PM server time by tuvok500

Post #9   3/12/08 8:18:41PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:

He didnt actually make $1 for that fight. He was being paid by a different promotion, so Elitexc let him fight on their card but he wasn't on their payroll.

Post #10   3/12/08 9:23:35PM   

buryyourdead

MMA Regular

buryyourdead Avatar

Career:383-219
Chips:
Burnnnnnn $ fight guy....and yah i am an alien...... Dana sucks....... Lets look at his track record of not being able to cut deals with his champions. One of the best fighters of our era left in the middle of his title reign. I guess that can apply to a few guys BJ, Randy, Tito. They arent just doing it because Dana's a awesome guy. There has to be a reason for this. If the UFC fired Dana and replaced him with Shaw I think the UFC would do better.

Post #11   3/12/08 9:31:35PM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
I think there should be another forum for posts related to management/political things regarding MMA. This has nothing to do with fighting and is just spreading nastiness. Which is *not* something the world needs more of.

Shame on both of them.

Post #12   3/13/08 8:05:43AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Can't we all just get along?LOL..

Anyway,I can't disagree with what Shaw said about Dana.I give Dana respect for helping the sport grow and getting it were it is today,but that's about were I stop with my Dana love.The way I see it,I've been watching this sport before Dana White was even involved in it,and i'll be watching it when he's out of it as well.Dana White helped the sport get were it is today,but it can,and would,survive without him.I think he's in love with his own celebirty (ala Tito),and creates the illusion to green fans of the sport that the UFC are the good guys and everyone else is evil.Anyone involved with Mixed Martial Arts outside the boundries of ZUFFA is a rat that can't be trusted and must be put under.

Don't get me wrong,the guy can be funny at times,and he brings up valid points in his interviews a good portion of the time,but to me at least,he seems like a kid in his dads candy store,and wants all the suckers and nerds to himself.

As for Shaws comments on Fedor,I can see to a point were he's coming from.Despite all his skills and admiration among hard core fans,why sign a guy who has limited popularity in the USA,when you can have a guy like Kimbo who has limited skills yet is uber-popular.
It's a sad thing to say,but I guess that's business.

Post #13   3/13/08 8:45:41AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

I was going to post it, but yeah the guy seem cool in the cage with his fighter and blablabla but when it is time to pay you it is a different story same as Bodog who are not paying Lindland.

And btw, Dana go in the locker room of every fighters before and after each fight and treat them very well, Shaw just try to show how friendly he is in from of the camera but i prefer a honest guy like Dana who always paid his fighters than a guy like Shaw who tell you good job man , great fight and here your 1$ check try to not blow it to fast !!

lol Man, no promoter is honest. You want to talk about paying guys? What about Xyeience not paying the fighters they sponsored? Do you know who the majority owners of xyience were?

Post #14   3/13/08 9:32:34AM