Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cro Cop’s *New* New Opponent; DREAM Rules Announced

Print  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Yoshihiro Nakao must have just realized he had a previous engagement or something, because DREAM is now saying that Tatsuya Mizuno will instead be taking on Mirko Filipovic at DREAM’s debut show this Saturday in Japan. And is Mizuno a worthy opponent for Cro Cop? Oh, sure! I mean, after all, we’re talking about a guy with a 4-2 record in Pancrase, who’s been previously stomped by Thiago Silva and UFC washout Assuerio Silva. He should present a stiff challenge to Mirko — still, we’re calling it for Cro Cop via head kick KO, nine seconds into round one. But fortunately, we think this opponent will finally stick, and we hope Mizuno can train hard over the next four days by taking lots of naps. It’ll be an honor just to meet Filipovic’s left foot.

One thing that Mizuno won’t have to worry about is being soccer kicked when he’s down. Nightmare of Battle has a translation of the DREAM rules, which work out like this :

— 10 minute first round, 5 minute second round, 90 seconds between rounds.

— Fights are judged in their entirety and no draws are possible.

— Stomps and soccer kicks to the head of a grounded opponent are not allowed, but knees to the head of a grounded opponent are allowed. If both fighters are on the ground, head kicks are allowed. If there is a 15 kg or more weight difference, no stomps, soccer kicks, or knees to the head of a grounded opponent are allowed.

Due to the sizable difference in talent, Cro Cop will also be blindfolded. And the betting line still has him as a -950 favorite…

LINK

Post #1   3/11/08 11:31:46AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:
Must say i really like the Rules, knees to the head on the ground allowed, but no stomps, and i really like that when both are on the ground kicks to the head are allowed, so if someone tries to get you a heel hook, you can just kick their face in till they let go..........

Post #2   3/11/08 11:34:06AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
LOL and people complained about Nakao

Post #3   3/11/08 11:40:44AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:
here is a bit more insight i got in another website.

Mizuno carries a 4-2 professional record contested entirely in Pancrase. His two most noteworthy opponents, Thiago Silva (Pictures) and Assuerio Silva (Pictures), . However, both dominated him in brutal fashion .the Japanese fighter has since picked up two wins, stopping Masayuki Kono (Pictures) in the first round in November and submitting Dave Frendin last month in Australia.

At least we'll be getting a highlight reel KO to put after the Dos Caras Jr. kick.

Also, Rumor is that Nakao backed out of the fight because he was threatened by Yakuza, apparently they werent too happy about him taking that fight.

Last edited 3/11/08 12:06PM server time by juanez13
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   3/11/08 12:05:46PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,200-1,501
Chips:
Cro Cop's opponent is certainly a Tomato can gimme.
Mirko got caught by a lucky kick by Gonzilla....Gabes only serious weapon really.
He was weak, timid and lackluster in his decision loss to Kongo, he should have to work his way back up the ladder...but to start at the bottom?
Liddell lost 2 in a row....you don't see him fighting some slug.
Of course the UFC has no slugs.
Hmmm.

Post #5   3/11/08 12:06:27PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Cro Cop's opponent is certainly a Tomato can gimme.
Mirko got caught by a lucky kick by Gonzilla....Gabes only serious weapon really.
He was weak, timid and lackluster in his decision loss to Kongo, he should have to work his way back up the ladder...but to start at the bottom?
Liddell lost 2 in a row....you don't see him fighting some slug.
Of course the UFC has no slugs.
Hmmm.

the UFC was doing this for their own good, as was Mirko himself, the reason they couldnt just give him a couple of cans in the UFC was because they were paying him 350k a fight, and they couldnt afford to spend that much money on him if they fights werent marketable, now this way hew will re-gain his condifence, and when he makes his way back into the UFC he will be ready in all aspects (mental is what i think screwed him up)

EDIT: i just found a link to the story that says that Nakao's life would be in danger for taking the mirko fight-->LINK

Last edited 3/11/08 12:17PM server time by juanez13
2 total post edits

Post #6   3/11/08 12:09:46PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
I am not even going to say anything... DREAM promotion is keeping up the grand Pride tradition of putting on carnivals instead of sporting events. I guess they didn't think the last opponent was can enough for Cro Cop after his UFC fiasco.

Cro Cop = white Melvin Guillard

Last edited 3/11/08 12:46PM server time by silverbullet

Post #7   3/11/08 12:46:29PM   

D-Money34

Learning to Sprawl

D-Money34 Avatar

Career:44-43
Camp: The Prophet Pitbulls
Chips:
9 seconds.... might even be shorter lol!

Post #8   3/11/08 12:55:39PM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
I really wanted to see some stomps and soccer kicks but at least they are going to allow knees to the head on the ground. I wish they would implement knees to the head on the ground for the UFC.

Post #9   3/11/08 1:42:28PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,470-1,154
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Must say i really like the Rules, knees to the head on the ground allowed, but no stomps, and i really like that when both are on the ground kicks to the head are allowed, so if someone tries to get you a heel hook, you can just kick their face in till they let go..........

I have been saying this for some time. If both fighters are down kicks should be allowed to the head. It just makes sense.

Post #10   3/11/08 4:48:12PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

I am not even going to say anything... DREAM promotion is keeping up the grand Pride tradition of putting on carnivals instead of sporting events. I guess they didn't think the last opponent was can enough for Cro Cop after his UFC fiasco.

Cro Cop = white Melvin Guillard

Yeah, because Guillard and Cro Cop's fighting styles are so similar...

BTW, didn't JT fight in PRIDE?

Post #11   3/12/08 12:10:02PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Anyone hear who Cro Cop gets if he wins? Lol I know I have!!!!

Post #12   3/12/08 6:58:27PM