Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rich Franklin: ‘Another fight with Anderson wouldn’t be that interesting for fans’

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:

“Realistically, another fight with Anderson wouldn’t be that interesting for fans. But (fighting) is how I make money. Whenever I’m at the end of my rope and I take a week away from the gym, I’m anxious to get back. I’m just a competitor.”

Perhaps the fourth-best fighter at 185 pounds in the world, Rich Franklin, admits that a third fight with UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva is not that attractive. That’s because “The Spider” is kryptonite when it comes to “Ace” — two fights, two lopsided losses and two broken noses. Franklin recently inked a six-fight deal, meaning he has a lot ahead of him. If he and Silva roll in their next few bouts, will that make a third fight between the two any more interesting, maniacs? My Spidey-sense says no, which makes this a potential conundrum for Franklin and the UFC.

LINK

to me this is his way of officially announcing that He is Now the Middleweight Gate keeper.

Post #1   3/9/08 5:17:31PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Thats like saying chuck is the gatekeeper of the lhw division becouse he cant beat rampage. To me a gatekeeper beats the lower ranked fighters and looses to the higher ranked fighters, whereas rich can pretty much beat anybody at mw bar one fighter.

I think labelling him a gatekeeper at this point is a little harsh.

Post #2   3/9/08 5:25:28PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
yea, he's pretty much the gatekeeper, but he's one hell of gatekeeper to beat so he better hope someone knocks off anderson or he's not gettin a title shot, but i dont see anyone beatin The Spider anytime soon.

Post #3   3/9/08 5:27:05PM   

CactusBob

MMA Regular

CactusBob Avatar

Career:28-12
Chips:
That actually raises a very good point. Should Franklin stay in the UFC where he will be assured a job, but unlikely ever become champion again? Or is it time to move on to another organization. Absolutly a fighter or any athlete does not run from a challenge, but it is a pain in the ass to have your nose broken consistently as well. I think he has some good matchups still in the division, but if the UFC hopes to keep Franklin's interest, they will need an infusion of depth pretty quick.

Post #4   3/9/08 5:29:47PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
i love rich
seems like he would fight Anderson 5x even if he lost everytime before......heart of a champion. always be one of my faves

Post #5   3/9/08 6:48:09PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
He understands his position well. Silva has proved that he is a step above Franklin (although silva has basically proved hes a step above absolutely everyone in the division). There is no need for another fight between the two.

However, i think its a big step to say that Franklin should leave the UFC. There are lots of great fights to be had still (Franklin-Henderson comes to mind).

Post #6   3/10/08 12:02:04AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9
...whereas rich can pretty much beat anybody at mw bar one fighter....

i disagree, i think

Lawler
Akiyama
Misaki
Lindland
Filho
Henderson
&
Marquardt

would all beat rich, decisively

Post #7   3/10/08 12:10:30AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
As of this very second, I'd say Alan Belcher is the MW gatekeeper.

A gatekeeper is someone that if you can't beat them, you shouldn't be in that division, as they have the lowest possible skillset to stay afloat.

To say Rich Franklin is a gate keeper is insane, as he'd destroy about 90% of the UFC MW division. The only guys who'd give him serious trouble would be Marquart, possibly Almedia, and Okami and Rivera if Rich had a really bad night. Otherwise he'd crush just about anyone else.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   3/10/08 12:37:09AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
people dont give belcher enough credit

Post #9   3/10/08 12:40:03AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I for one don't see being a gate keeper a bad thing...at least you have a steady job!! The true division gatekeepers are as follows in my opinion.
LW - Pellegrino or Fisher
WW - Lytle or Burkman
MW - Leben or Macdonald
LHW - Bonnar or Gouveia
HW - Sanchez or Mir
To me a gate keeper is someone who is used to test another fighter, he makes sure that the man is of the quality of the division. A gatekeeper is always a couple of fights away from title contention but never quite there. Gatekeepers have a time honored tradiotion of being exciting fighters, who if they go down they go down swinging for the fences!

Last edited 3/10/08 1:18AM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: Clarify why I picked these fighters.

Post #10   3/10/08 1:13:40AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

people dont give belcher enough credit

Don't get me wrong dude, I love Belcher, and actually had him winning against Almeida before he dropped from the fight, but his skil-set is somewhat limited, and hes had trouble with some fights in the UFC. He manhandled Starnes, who I don't think should be fighting in UFC, and did the same to Salmon at LHW, who probably shouldn't be fighting anywhere. His skills are improving steadily though, so we'll see what the future brings.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   3/10/08 1:22:19AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,200-1,311
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
I agree that calling Franklin a gatekeeper is abit absurd....he is top 3-4 MW in the UFC .... and theres really no shame in losing to Ace...

I agree that someone like Belcher is the MW gatekeeper....or even Kendall Grove at this point could be considered a gatekeeper I'd say.

and as far as not being interesting for the fans ...I agree...but I also think if Silva beats Okami (or whoever is next) and Franklin beats Lutter and then say Cote or Marquardt or henderson whoever else is up there in the ranks...and it makes sense for him to fight again..then do it..

Post #12   3/10/08 1:49:26AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I think he is the gatekeeper. He's the one that holds the key to getting into the elite bunch in the middleweight division because he's exactly on the borderline of elite-good. If your elite you can beat him, if your not elite you won't beat him because he hasn't beaten any elite fighters besides Okami. Tanner is good but I never really considered him elite. Dave "The Crow" isn't elite.

IMO he's the #6-7 ranked MW. I think he'd get owned by the great strikers because his striking is overrated because he's huge and awkward. IMO.

IMO He'd get submitted/KO'd or decision'd by Lindland, Hendo, Lawler, Marquardt, Almedia, Meia(Damien), Martin Kampman, Drew Mcfedries, Paulo Fhilo, Dennis Khang, and of course Anderson Silva.

Post #13   3/10/08 2:34:15AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by CactusBob

That actually raises a very good point. Should Franklin stay in the UFC where he will be assured a job, but unlikely ever become champion again? Or is it time to move on to another organization. Absolutly a fighter or any athlete does not run from a challenge, but it is a pain in the ass to have your nose broken consistently as well. I think he has some good matchups still in the division, but if the UFC hopes to keep Franklin's interest, they will need an infusion of depth pretty quick.

Dana needs Rich more than Rich needs Dana. Despite his no longer being MW Champion, Rich still has name recognition and drawing power-he still puts fans in seats much like Liddell. So he probably should stay.

Post #14   3/10/08 7:29:33AM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I for one don't see being a gate keeper a bad thing...at least you have a steady job!! The true division gatekeepers are as follows in my opinion.
LW - Pellegrino or Fisher
WW - Lytle or Burkman
MW - Leben or Macdonald
LHW - Bonnar or Gouveia
HW - Sanchez or Mir
To me a gate keeper is someone who is used to test another fighter, he makes sure that the man is of the quality of the division. A gatekeeper is always a couple of fights away from title contention but never quite there. Gatekeepers have a time honored tradiotion of being exciting fighters, who if they go down they go down swinging for the fences!

I know you stated it was your opinion, and with all due respect to your statement, Pellegrino is far from a gatekeeper. He will easily beat Diaz and I cant wait until he gets a rematch with big daddy and takes him out like he should have before. Pellegrino is a f'n warrior and a future LW champ.

I can see your point of Leben being a gate keeper, but why do you state that? the only person that handed him his ass is the very same person that everyone is saying is unstoppable.

Just like the above statement of mine, how do you count Mir as a gate keeper. Same with Gouveia. I understand what you are saying your definition of a gatekeeper is, but again with all due respect, lets make a bit more accurate statements. A gate keeper is never near title contention, a gate keeper is there to test new up and coming fighters and fighters that may be on a losing streak. A gatekeeper hardly goes out in style (though this could be contradicted).

My statement isn't meant to be taken in the wrong way, just voicing my opinion just like you have.

Post #15   3/11/08 12:07:04AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2