Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GIs battle Joes in exhibition fights

Print  
Posted By Message

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

A Command and General Staff College student and an Army Reserve Soldier demonstrated their martial arts prowess at a recent sporting exhibition as part of an Army recruiting event.

CGSC student Maj. Rob Pickel and 1st. Lt. Joe Proctor, of the 8th U.S. Army, were two of 14 Soldiers to fight in the GIs versus Joes II combative sports event Feb. 22 at the Saint Charles Family Arena near St. Louis.

Army Recruiting Battalion St. Louis partnered with Kick International to sponsor the event, which drew about 3,000 people, said an event organizer. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Army Emergency Relief fund.

The Soldiers did well winning six of the 14 matches, which were divided by weight class, said Pickel, who won his fight in a three-round decision.

Mixed martial arts is similar to what is used in the Ultimate Fighting Championships, said Pickel, a Special Forces officer.

what do you guys think about the Army implementing MMA more and more. they said it was a good outreach for the youth of America, do you guys think that is a good application of MMA. and how about their interpretation of MMA, is it accurate enough or does it leave a bad taste in your mouth? I just found this article really interesting and i thought i would share it with you. LINK

Last edited 3/9/08 12:00PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/9/08 11:59:38AM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Lol yea i actually watched most of the event, there was quite a few titles that were given, it looked alot like the Fight Night that the UFC had in the Army, except this looked more like an Arena, to me it resembled WEC for some reason, most of the audience was the army. I think its great that the army is doing this, it is true MMA, take away their soldier status and you would have tought they were normal fighters, they guys in there knew what they were doing.

Post #2   3/9/08 12:09:30PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
I was at the event. The Coach who runs my BJJ/MMA school was one of the promoters. It only looked like army was most of the audiance. They mainly focused on that one section where most of the army was seated. We had 5 or 6 of our Team Vaghi fighters there in action. All won. the army guys got into town the week before and used our school as a training facility. Was interesting to talk to some of these guys. they really enjoy the oppurtunity to compete like this. Breaks up the routine.

Post #3   3/9/08 1:17:16PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Yeah I think it's a cool idea as well. But just a theory to wrap your mind around....I am a US Marine..a professional WAR fighter, does this mean that I should be a professional CAGE fighter...NO, so don't expect to be able to whoop all the ass in the world if you join the military!!! I don't train for cages on a daily, just as they don't train for the battlefield on a daily...it's 2 totally different worlds. I hate how a lot of new joins in the Corps walk around like they are complete bad asses until some dude punches their lights out in the local pub!!!

Post #4   3/9/08 3:28:45PM   

dstlvb

MMA Regular

dstlvb Avatar

Career:373-248
Chips:
Most of the guys didnt strike me as having that attitude. More along the lines oof if they had joined a basketball leauge and went to play different teams. Most guys were MMA fans and happy to be able to do tghis while still in the military.

Post #5   3/9/08 8:01:35PM