Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The UFC Minor Leagues??

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,222-765
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
With Joe Riggs scheduled to fight in March for WEC. It seems a little like the UFC may use the WEC to build fighters up and on their way. I think this is a great idea.....although theres a few that should already be at UFC (Uriah Faber)

Post #1   2/19/07 9:19:37PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Chips:
I agree...that's a great idea. Isn't Rob McCullough in the WEC?

Post #2   2/19/07 9:29:20PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Agreed, however if they do use it this way (I think they will and should) they will need to have some journeymen there to give iit legitimacy. We were discussing this in another thread and hippysmacker brought up the fact that they can't really sell it as "minor league". Unfortunately, I think he's right. But I think that for this sport to really become "recognized" by the general public, the establishment of a real minor league (just like every other major sport) is essential. It will take time but eventually this sport will have real minors, and "real" sports paydays, the whole system will be more structured, and there will be a lot more of a pool. of talent when the paydays come up to the level of other sports (IMO and hopefully). We'll all laugh at what these guys used to be willing to step in a ring for. I just hope those days aren't that far off.

Post #3   2/19/07 9:32:55PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

Yeah. McCullough just beat Kit Cope for the WEC LW title and Cope tested positive for steriods during the post fight drug test.

Post #4   2/19/07 9:42:07PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Dana did say that the WEC is not a feeder league for the UFC

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #5   2/19/07 9:44:10PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
Love it. They should make it 4 loses in the UFC you go to WEC and 4 wins in WEC and you go to the UFC. It keeps fighters fresh and hungry without being in the title picture. To give it more exposure maybe have an hour show as a lead in to a UFC PPV. Like WWE did with Sunday Night Heat, put a talent featuring card on Spike before the actual UFC PPV.

Post #6   2/19/07 10:48:51PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Ydoc

To give it more exposure maybe have an hour show as a lead in to a UFC PPV. Like WWE did with Sunday Night Heat, put a talent featuring card on Spike before the actual UFC PPV.

I love that idea. Who knows, it may not be that far off. We can only hope.

Post #7   2/19/07 10:52:16PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Chips:

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by waylon_o

Yeah. McCullough just beat Kit Cope for the WEC LW title and Cope tested positive for steriods during the post fight drug test.

I knew all about that and seen the highlights i think, but I wasn't positive that it was WEC. I really like watching him fight.

Post #8   2/19/07 10:56:36PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Dana did say that the WEC is not a feeder league for the UFC

Right, it's not being run that way. However, in the sense that any lower-tier organization is a developmental step toward the "major leagues" (e.g. the UFC and PRIDE), WEC can be viewed as a "minor league."

I don't know jack about contract law, but I imagine if all three parties are amenable, it would only be a matter of paperwork to "transfer" a fighter from one organization to another. The fact that both WEC and UFC are under the Zuffa umbrella plausibly makes inter-organizational cooperation more likely than between, say, the UFC and KOTC, or the IFL.

Post #9   2/20/07 10:43:02AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by xthe_scottx

Yeah. McCullough just beat Kit Cope for the WEC LW title[...]

Urijah Faber took the Featherweight (145 lb) belt on that same card. It's not hard to imagine those two guys on a cross-promotional card with some UFC Lightweights.

Post #10   2/20/07 10:48:25AM   

Zvonimir

MMA Regular

Zvonimir Avatar

Career:279-164
Chips:
While it might not officially be a feeder league for the UFC, I believe that this will be the defacto role for the WEC. Although I admittedly don't watch anything but the finales, I was thinking that maybe the top 2 guys in each weight division on TUF should go to the UFC, and the rest should go to the WEC.

On a side note Razor Rob needs to be in the UFC

Post #11   2/20/07 2:51:46PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by xthe_scottx

Urijah Faber took the Featherweight (145 lb) belt on that same card. It's not hard to imagine those two guys on a cross-promotional card with some UFC Lightweights.

I agree but think the UFC needs a featherweight class. They already have Faber and the other fighters at 145 from WEC. They also could probably get Mark Hominick back and if you throw Kid Yamamoto into the mix, you've got yourself an exciting featherweight class.

On the topic on of McCullough, I'm not a big fan but do enjoy watching him fight and think he could do fairly well in the UFC.

Last edited 2/20/07 6:08PM server time by xthe_scottx
Edit note/reason: misspelling

Post #12   2/20/07 6:07:32PM   

hathcock32

In Full Mount

hathcock32 Avatar

Career:1,222-765
Chips:
Looks like Joe Riggs and Mayhem Miller will both be fighting on the March WEC card...and Dana said the only reason he isnt already in the UFC...is becuase hes got a contract with ICON but once he's done...he will be in the UFC

Post #13   2/20/07 7:34:56PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by xthe_scottx

I agree but think the UFC needs a featherweight class. They already have Faber and the other fighters at 145 from WEC. They also could probably get Mark Hominick back and if you throw Kid Yamamoto into the mix, you've got yourself an exciting featherweight class.

On the topic on of McCullough, I'm not a big fan but do enjoy watching him fight and think he could do fairly well in the UFC.

Kid Yamamoto would be a star and bring featherweight's to the forefront. Featherweight's/Lightweights are generally the most exciting fight's to me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #14   2/20/07 7:46:07PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by xthe_scottx

[...]

Kid Yamamoto would be a star and bring featherweight's to the forefront. Featherweight's/Lightweights are generally the most exciting fight's to me.

I agree that they're the most exciting. I think I've also always liked them because that would be my weight class and I like to see that guys my size can do it just like the big guys (the thing that 1st attracted me to bjj and mma). But mainly the excitement level in fights. We know Dana wants Kid... so... Makes a lot of sense to me. And I think a lot of fight fans are like me, we love the lighter weights because of what they bring to the table.... but with limited exposure in the states we just don't even know as many of the fighters as we'd like.

Last edited 2/20/07 9:01PM server time by JimiMak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   2/20/07 8:55:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2