Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cung Le Ready for "Fight of My Life" with Frank Shamrock

Print  
The who wins poll?!
Cung Le 13 38%
Shamrock 21 62%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

"It's definitely the biggest fight of my life, and I'm very excited about the fight," Le said. "I just can't wait to get in the cage with Frank Shamrock to see how good I really am."

"Frank doesn't realize that not only am I a kickboxer, but my style is San Shou, which is punching, kicking, kneeing, sweeping, throwing," Le said. "There's going to be a lot of things for Frank to deal with. I believe that not only am I a kickboxer, I also bring different elements. Kickboxers throw boxing, and they throw the round kicks. They throw the knees. They throw the hard leg kick. I'm a different kind of fighter. I feel like I'm a complete martial-arts stand-up fighter."

While Le does not feel his skill set prevents him from success on the ground, the 35-year-old knows he is best served in this fight by remaining on his feet.

"For me, Frank's a wizard on the ground," Le said. "Why am I going to go on the ground and play the submission game with him? That would be basically getting out of my old element. What I'm good at is the stand-up, so I'm going to keep it on my feet."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   3/7/08 1:25:41PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
Translation: "Frank, take me down & you can hit the bar early. Kthxbai."

T777

Post #2   3/7/08 1:44:41PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Hopefully it will be a good fight...I imagine Le is going to beat Shamrock up pretty good the whole first round, then get taken down and subbed by Shamrock in the second.

Post #3   3/7/08 1:45:32PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
Le is gonna blaze Shamrock. It wont be long before Le is destroying opponents with his unmatched standup in the UFC. Le v Silva = new middleweight champ.

Post #4   3/7/08 1:49:01PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:

Posted by gsquat

Le is gonna blaze Shamrock. It wont be long before Le is destroying opponents with his unmatched standup in the UFC. Le v Silva = new middleweight champ.

His unmatched stand up wouldn't mean anything when he fights BJJ black belts, or olympic wrestlers. I'm a fan of Cung Le, but there is no way that he could even touch Silva. Silva could knock him out or submit him.

Post #5   3/7/08 1:55:25PM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by puppetmaster837

Posted by gsquat

Le is gonna blaze Shamrock. It wont be long before Le is destroying opponents with his unmatched stand up in the UFC. Le v Silva = new middleweight champ.

His unmatched stand up wouldn't mean anything when he fights BJJ black belts, or Olympic wrestlers. I'm a fan of Cung Le, but there is no way that he could even touch Silva. Silva could knock him out or submit him.

Silva by Light years of Technique and Experience

Post #6   3/7/08 1:58:39PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gsquat

His unmatched stand up wouldn't mean anything when he fights BJJ black belts, or olympic wrestlers. I'm a fan of Cung Le, but there is no way that he could even touch Silva. Silva could knock him out or submit him.

I'm sure we will see.

Post #7   3/7/08 2:00:43PM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by gsquat

Le is gonna blaze Shamrock. It wont be long before Le is destroying opponents with his unmatched stand up in the UFC. Le v Silva = new middleweight champ.

His unmatched stand up wouldn't mean anything when he fights BJJ black belts, or Olympic wrestlers. I'm a fan of Cung Le, but there is no way that he could even touch Silva. Silva could knock him out or submit him.

Silva by Light years of Technique and Experience

Technically, light years measures distance, not time...

but yes , I agre. Silva could beat Le like a drum by whatever method he chooses.

And if Le spent anytime sparring in his training for this fight with Shamrock, it was wasted time. He needs to be training all the wrestling and jits he can. I dont see him stopping Frank from taking him down and laying on him. Unless Frank gasses, which I think is very possible given his last two performances.

Last edited 3/7/08 2:33PM server time by FantasyFighter
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   3/7/08 2:31:34PM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Chips:
Hey, I never said anything about A. Silva's jj. I think we all know its amazing. But if someone wants to stand for an entire fight with Anderson, he'll do it. I was saying in a fight like that against Le, he'd lose. Keep in mind this is my opinion: Cung Le is the best striker in MMA. This theory will be reinforced in his next fight.

Post #9   3/7/08 3:41:45PM   

Shawn17

MMA Regular

Shawn17 Avatar

Career:733-483
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Shamrock will run right through Cung Lee. Having good kickboxing doesnt mean anything unless its adapted to MMA. Lee has no experience against a fighter of Frank's caliber. If frank is losing the standup he can just take him down or hell even pull guard and that will be all she wrote.

Post #10   3/7/08 3:47:46PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
How does anyone see Cung Le actually beating Shamrock?

Post #11   3/7/08 5:00:35PM   

BlazinSaddle

Banned

Career:67-34
Chips:
i dont see the hate for frank so for me this is just a good fight to watch between a sick san shou fighter and an all around MMA fighter, im 50/50 on this one, maybe 51/49 for cung

Post #12   3/7/08 5:34:51PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,240-1,521
Chips:
I have been "observing" Cung Le since his pre-MMA days on ESPN.
I always wanted to see someone throw a beating on him.
It's ironic...years later and I am rooting for Cung.
He is a machine on his feet...and he does have a different style.
Shamrock is no joke on his feet though, and he has all kinds of MMA experience and has faced all kinds of styles and characters.
Shamrock wins on the ground obviously...and could probably win on his feet as well.
Anything is possible though...Li could stun him with "an unorthodox blow" and then finish him off.
I say Shamrock wins by rear naked choke 3 minutes into round 1.
A small shot that Cung wins by KO within the first minute and a half.

Post #13   3/7/08 5:39:34PM   

Aries2343

MMA Regular

Aries2343 Avatar

Career:621-418
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
Cung Le lossing??? Don't think so... And how can u say Frank has more experience? Le's been fighting sence he graduated high school same with frank, but Lee was fighting in San Shu, While Frank fought in MMA. The thing is... he has been training with Le for years, and he's probably the only reason Franks scary on his feet. With that said.. You gotta know Le knows his style, and his weaknesses, which we know he's going to exploit. Plus I'd love to see the person the person that can take him down the guy so elusive, and guys he was a wrestling all American in high school, and in college. So's its going to be hard for frank to get him down. Plus, if Le would not be so stubborn and go train with Cezar Gracie down the road from his gym, he'd be lethal in every area of the sport... Just a thought...

Post #14   3/7/08 6:51:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
i think this will be a highly entertaining fight.

Post #15   3/7/08 10:31:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2