Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor a free agent? Not so fast.

Print  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Link

On Thursday, new cracks appeared in M-1 Global’s façade. Apy Echteld, a co-manager of Fedor Emelianenko and development executive in the upstart promotion, confirmed to ESPN’s Ryan Hockensmith that the top-ranked fighter and M-1 would be separating next week.

Emelianenko was M-1’s first talent acquisition when the consortium of Russian and American promoters came together in October of 2007.

The report on ESPN.com also stated that both Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White and Echteld would be open to discussions concerning the possibility of having Emelianenko face UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture in the Octagon.

M-1 President and CEO Monte Cox, however, was adamant that the Russian superstar is still a part of his promotion. “As of right now, M-1 Global and Fedor are still working together,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Cox declined to comment about the ESPN article, but said M-1’s plans were still underway for its first event on American soil, a June 14 card at the Sears Center in the Chicago area, still expected to feature Emelianenko. The show has been rescheduled from a May 3 date at the Allstate Arena, also in the Chicago area.

M-1’s first venture with Emelianenko, a co-promotion with Fight Entertainment Group and other Japanese promoters on New Year’s Eve, was a success according to Cox. Since then, rumors of difficulties between the American and Russian factions of the partnership have persisted.

“But as of now, Fedor still belongs to M-1 Global,” stated Cox.

Last edited 3/7/08 5:58AM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/7/08 5:57:57AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
lmao at everybody who got there hopes up. I knew this was too good to be true. Just just signed the freakin contract in November or October.

Post #2   3/7/08 6:40:37AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,771-1,255
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
Hmmm Monte Cox manager of many a MMA fighter with most of them in the UFC. Randy's getting nowhere with his release... Fedor could be a free agent...

Dana signs Fedor, Randy stays, 3 superfights in HW division...

I smell a rouse by Dana... Good on him.

Although it's probably more likely if Fedor goes anywhere it would probably be DREAM. But never say never.

Post #3   3/7/08 6:45:02AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Randy smashes Fedor and walks away. or face big nog.

or fedor wins and faces big nog.

Post #4   3/7/08 7:43:57AM   

Kugel

MMA Regular

Kugel Avatar

Career:1,538-911
Chips:
Randy can't beat Fedor or Big Nog....let alone smash Fedor.

Post #5   3/7/08 8:12:43AM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by Kugel

I dissagree, Randy can beat all the above when at his best

Post #6   3/7/08 8:15:16AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Since he's not commenting on the ESPN article, he's not denying it. And the use of the "at of now" phrase sounds like a further qualification.

Post #7   3/7/08 9:41:45AM   

TNunley

Belt Contender

TNunley Avatar

Career:120-77
Camp: Team Arse Kickers
Chips:

Posted by Kugel

Care to elaborate on why Randy "can't" beat either of them?

Post #8   3/7/08 12:54:12PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Randy not only could but WOULD smash Fedor...especially if it happens with UFC rules. Fedor is a great striker but is sloppy as hell, Randy is not really known as one of the best strikers, but he definately does not suck in that department. Fedor does have a big edge in submissions, but lets face it, Randy really isn't that easy to submit. He has been defeated 4 times due to submission but that was a very very long time ago. He has definately gotten better at his submission defense and is one the best ground and pounders around. If this happens I see him being able to avoid the tap and hold Fedor on the ground where Fedor will eat a ton of elbows and that baby face of his would be a bloody mess...but who cares what I think I'm no expert but god I hope this fight happens!!

Post #9   3/7/08 2:10:56PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
even randy doesnt think that it is a foregone conclusion that he beats fedor so i dont know why all of you guys do. anything can happen and randy is a super game competitor but there is no way he wins this fight more than 1 out of 4 times imo.

Post #10   3/8/08 8:51:05AM